IF .............................

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

IF .............................

Post by J.R. »

There has been a great deal of chat on this site about life in the good old days at Horsham.

How many of you have seen that brilliant film, 'IF.....' , starring Malcolm MacDowell ?

I have always seen the similarities between CH and the public school system portrayed in the film, especially the almost opening scene of them all returning to school after the holidays !

I can honestly say that I watch this film every time it is shown on television !

(Comments on a housey girdle, to.....................)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I saw If as part of a a Grecian's lecture... I think the guy who was the main character was an Old Blue wasn't he?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

If... is probably my favourite film of all time. It is a complete masterpiece! The follow up (O lucky man) is also worth watching, if you have 3hrs and a large amount of drugs/alcohol on hand. avoid the third (Britannia Hospital) though. They aren't reallyy sequels; more extra use of the Mick Travis character - McDowell was certainly good in those roles. Personally I like If... most out of all his work but he was perfect as Alex in A Clockwork Orange. I have a little bias though as lots of people think I look like him :D

I don't think any of them were old blues per se, but David Wood (he was one of the 'crusaders' but I forgot his character's name) did come in to give us talks. he writes childrens books now adays and I think he knew Tom Jeffers and that is why we got him. The only old blue I remember at Grecian's lectures was Mark Thomas.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I thought David Wood was an Old Blue...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

maybe..... but i didn't think so?!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:I thought David Wood was an Old Blue...
Maybe JH can answer this ?
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

I have always seen the similarities between CH and the public school system portrayed in the film
No young blond boys sharing your bed and shaving you in the morning though, JR? :wink:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Definitely not !

I identify more with Malcolm's Macs part. Ever the budding anarchist !

I always thought the Headmaster, played by the late Arthur Lowe had great similarities to..........

Oooooops....

(Nearly slipped up again, JT !)
Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

If...

Post by Rex »

Have to disagree with you there, JR: Arthur Lowe wasn't the headmaster (that was Peter Jeffrey), he was the housemaster.

Can't remember which two schools If... was filmed at, but in the mid-Seventies at CH we understood that Dr Roger Hackett (Horsham Staff 1974-2004) was teaching at one of them at the time and served as the contact-man between Lindsay Anderson & Co and the authorities.
Last edited by Rex on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Sorry about that Rex. You're quite right !

I loved the character who was in charge of the CCF, AND also was the school chaplain. A lovely parody on the religious right to kill people !

I'm going to look the film upon the internet.

Be right back.......
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

Part of the movie was filmed at Lindsey Anderson's old school which was in Cheltenham, I think.......

It does have the feel of CH about it though - especially those scenes that introduce the different sections, where they are looking over a hockey field towards a building that resembles big school
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

ITS ALL HERE, FOLKS !!

Link into this page if you are an IF...... fan.

I had no idea the story was taken from a Kipling tale !

The fella' that mentioned Cheltenham College, definitely qualifies for a coconut ! Prizes to destributed at 'The Bax', Landlord permitting, on a well known date in July.

LINK:-

http://www.geocities.com/malcolmtribute/if.html
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

I'd love to be there to recieve my coconut in person, but I think I'll have some trouble getting there (it being 8,000 miles or so). Perhaps you can all share in it in my absence :)

I read something recently about if... being based on or maybe just similar to a french movie from the 40's, or something similar. I shall look into this further, but I fear it may be a three pipe-problem ....................
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

If... is my absolute favourite film of all time. Did you know that it was filmed in both black & white and colour because they didn't have enough money for colour film? The one scene that's always puzzled me is after the CCF field day when the chaplain appears out of the drawer in the headmaster's study, the boys shake hands and then the headmaster closes the drawer again - bizarre. I know lots of the scenes are surreal but that one is too weird!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Andy Friend
3rd Former

Post by Andy Friend »

I also watch it every time it's on TV! Absolutley brilliant film, but a bit surreal!