Mr Clippy

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

LHA
Deputy Grecian

Mr Clippy

Post by LHA »

Can anyone remember talk of this man in the late 1980s and early 90s?

He used to be said to wonder into boarding houses with a clipboard and issue instructions to people?

Unusually, an example of someone from that era in the school who was recognised as a risk , wasn't really tolerated as such (although not sure he was ever identified or arrested) , and wasn't an employee.

Given how open everything was back then, it's terrifying to think what he might have got away with.
marty
Grecian

Re: Mr Clippy

Post by marty »

I remember talk of a "clipboard man" but have no memory of him ever being identified or arrested. Always thought he was a bit of myth, bit like Slender Man.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

marty wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am I remember talk of a "clipboard man" but have no memory of him ever being identified or arrested. Always thought he was a bit of myth, bit like Slender Man.
Slender man?
Thornton 85-92
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Google him. He's big in America.
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

Disturbing.

Brings back memories of watching A Nightmare on Elm Street in the house common room on my squits and pretending it didn't scare the living daylights out of me.
Thornton 85-92
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

BTaylor wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:11 am Disturbing.

Brings back memories of watching A Nightmare on Elm Street in the house common room on my squits and pretending it didn't scare the living daylights out of me.
But how did you manage to watch an 18 certificate film aged 11...? :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

This was before my time.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

marty wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:21 am
BTaylor wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:11 am Disturbing.

But how did you manage to watch an 18 certificate film aged 11...? :lol:
Such things were possible until the CH Beverley Hills Cop Film Incident.
Bishbashbosh
3rd Former

Post by Bishbashbosh »

I remember watching and being terrified by Predator, Alien, Aliens, and Terminator, all in Whites. I sat on the floor in a corner as older boys put the videos on. I also remember someone trying to sell me a "quart" of brandy.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I need to respond with a repeated response.
Never in CMES's day.
An Occasional film in Big School for us oldies. No TV's in my day.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Bishbashbosh wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:25 pm I also remember someone trying to sell me a "quart" of brandy.
A quart of vodka was a standard Saturday night from the UF until old enough to join the Grecian’s Club. I’m sure there’s already been a thread about alcohol hiding places, but we were pretty ingenious.

I do remember inappropriate films being shown regularly, particularly in the senior boys’ houses on a Sunday afternoon when the staff were pretty much absent.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

We suffered (Oh, how we suffered!) with attempts at home-made beer and wine; even distilled liquors. We had neither the money or opportunity to buy the real stuff. Probably my worst memory was a ginger-infused concoction that was the accompaniment to a wild mushroom and bird egg omelet, cooked in a partially cleaned sand bath in the biology lab.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:05 pm I need to respond with a repeated response.
Never in CMES's day.
An Occasional film in Big School for us oldies. No TV's in my day.
By far the most violent film at CH (and for the day it was probably the equivalent of an 18) was The Dambusters. Not too long after that, and following long discussions at home about suitability, I was taken to see Sink the Bismark, purely because the person taking me was in the intelligence team tracking that vessel.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Returning to the theme of 'Mr Clippy' (man with clipboard) I was once told by a major in the Royal Military Police that it was a well-known confidence trick to be reasonably smartly dressed, look confident and carry a clipboard, which had to hold several sheets of typed paper - what the text concerned was irrelevant. He claimed it was just too easy to gain entry to almost anywhere with a little bit of play-acting and consulting the clipboard at critical moments as it gave an air of authority. My friend claimed to have entered the Houses of Parliament at least once without a pass, using this method.
He was, however, cured when he boarded an ocean liner at Southampton to say farewell to a friend and not having a boarding pass he strode aboard, carefully consulting his clipboard as he passed the security desk. Having said his goodbyes he was about to head down the gangplank without returning his boarding pass as required, when the Master-at-Arms saw him and stopped him.
M-at-A, "Would you care to return your boarding pass, please, sir.?"
Jumbo (always full of confidence), "Well, actually Master-at-Arms, I don't have one,"
M-at-A. "I see, sir. In that case can you tell me how you got aboard.?"
Jumbo. "Well, Master-at-Arms, I can tell you - as one security professional to another - that I used the old clip-board trick."
M-at-A. "I see, sir. In that case I must tell you - as one security professional to another, of course (drily) - that you will not leave this ship until you do produce a Boarding Pass."
Jumbo enjoyed the unexpected cruise to Gibraltar, where the Master-at-Arms relented and gave him a disembarkation card, but that and the return voyage were rather expensive and he had to explain to his boss why he had disappeared without warning. He never tried the clipboard trick again.
I suspect that the modern equivalent would be a semi-uniform jacket and a hand-held computer.
David :shock:
charlesr
2nd Former

Post by charlesr »

Foureyes wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:15 pmI suspect that the modern equivalent would be a semi-uniform jacket and a hand-held computer.
David :shock:
A hi-viz jacket can be very useful apparently :)
Charles Rogers (LHA 67-70; ThB 70-75)