Over on Facebook

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

richardb
Forum Moderator

Re: Over on Facebook

Post by richardb »

Two boys born in 1977 and 1979 so take your pick.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

marty wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:03 am
The problem is that a lot of us can recall various teachers that simply disappeared overnight with no explanation (Husband being one of them). Because the school's policy was to be silent as to the reasons (inocuous or otherwise) there is now speculation (understandably in my opinion considering recent revelations).
It is not only teachers who can commit such crimes - I had an instance when I was approached for such purpose so pupils can be equally guilty and I suspect that they would "disappear" suddenly.

I remember three instances - two in Col A and one in Col B (JR probably knows who that was) where boys simply disappeared. Not one of those three had anything to do with indecent approaches or worse; one was a death in the family, another related to another type of family problem and I put the third down to a mental breakdown. So far as I am aware the house was only told about the background to the second. In another case at the other end of the Avenue a pupil did not return at the beginning of term - simply a brokem arm

Ergo disappearance is not always the consequence of criminality suspected or proven and that could apply equally to a teacher..
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

wagenman wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 pm
DazedandConfused wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:14 pm No, she stayed on until her Grecians, she was in my boarding house. Unless there was more than one!
I knew of one in 87'ish. Same one?
Nope, this is the affair which became public and led to his exit in 1994.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

That's why I asked if he was still with his wife in 94. He seemed to have groomed a different girl every year.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

That’s a really disturbing thought.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

LHA wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:03 pm The guy who ran the 1990 Old Blues facebook site has closed it down, as he 'wanted happy memories'. In doing this, he, to me, is actually complicit in preventing people who may have been complicit in abuse coming forward to the police.
Or to be fair, he wants an easy life and wasn’t expecting any of this...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

DazedandConfused wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:07 pm
richardb wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:27 am When Husband "disappeared" what happened to his wife and kids ?

I assume he was still with his wife.
I don’t know about his wife but his children stayed on at the school.
If I remember correctly, they split up but she remained at CH as a matron for a number of years afterwards. I understand he remarried.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Great Plum wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:40 pm
LHA wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:03 pm The guy who ran the 1990 Old Blues facebook site has closed it down, as he 'wanted happy memories'. In doing this, he, to me, is actually complicit in preventing people who may have been complicit in abuse coming forward to the police.
And the decades of abuse appear not to bother him a bit.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Not true, he is as shocked and disappointed as many of us, but is concerned where he stands legally and doesn’t have a richardb to advise (as well as, as I think the moderators here will concur, time pressures meaning he hasn’t time to keep on top of it)
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Hmm. When Burr and Webb were convicted his life was 'don't comment, it might upset the victims' and now it's 'someone might post something illegal'. No one on that facebook group should be on the jury, and as a facebook admin he's legally liable for nothing.

Nothwithstanding all that, a couple of days after the verdicts, it's 'ooh what to you think about this cricket match'.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

cstegerlewis wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:29 pm Not true, he is as shocked and disappointed as many of us, but is concerned where he stands legally and doesn’t have a richardb to advise (as well as, as I think the moderators here will concur, time pressures meaning he hasn’t time to keep on top of it)
Moderating involves weeding posts which you think may be potentially libellous and then reacting to complaints which allege that posts actually are libellous.

From time to time posts may disappear, not necessarily because they are accepted as dyeing defamatory but from an abundance of caution.

Probably my advantage with a legal background is that I know what should happen. Posts on a forum are highly unlikely to be "illegal" so you won't get prosecuted for it. You may get sued but anyone suing has to be willing to risk financial ruination themselves, as the costs of losing are huge and likely to cripple most individuals.

Takes me back to my days as a trainee when I used to libel read the Morning Star on a Thursday evening for £20 to keep going. The jobs were handed from trainee to trainee.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Arr, the good old Morning Star.

I thought 90% of it is/was libel ?? :lol:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

It was fun summoning the editor and telling him to remove articles. Had to reset the whole paper.
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

LHA wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:07 pm
Great Plum wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:40 pm
And the decades of abuse appear not to bother him a bit.
Yawn.....

Because someone shuts a Facebook page they weren't bothered by what was going on? Seriously?

You also seem to think that the majority were aware of what was going on. We weren't. Simple as. Suspicions were had I am sure, but the majority really didn't know what was going on at all.... I am sure those that were affected didn't want it on the public domain in any shape or form, and to an extent, I am sure that that is why the Facebook page shut - it doesn't need to be speculated on or discussed for the benefit of the victims or indeed those that were related to the sentenced.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I liked the Morning Star (which is still stocked by our Tesco). Good bracing kick-in-the-balls stuff to Tories, tax avoiders and rich greedy ******** in general. As far as libel goes you could probably accuse the right-wing tabloids of the same thing. It's just that I imagine many of their victims simply don't have the money to sue.