Will Dobbie be defrocked?

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: Will Dobbie be defrocked?

Post by Great Plum »

He will, almost certainly be defrocked if I read this document correctly...
https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/d ... shed_2.pdf

I think paragraph 30 on Page 21 is most pertinent...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

You are quite right Plum.

The only question is whether it has come into force yet.
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

Great Plum wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:11 pm He will, almost certainly be defrocked if I read this document correctly...
https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/d ... shed_2.pdf

I think paragraph 30 on Page 21 is most pertinent...
There is an awful lot about deciding whether to impose the penalty (defrocking) or not. Never seen such wriggle-room in a lay persons contract.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Can't have beasts with dog collars. Not now.
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 84247.html

This is from 2015. If I understand correctly the permission to officiate can be removed. The synod met recently but I've not seen any reports on their discussions of child abuse within the church if they were on the agenda. Likewise the IICSA has discussed the matter pertaining to Ball as has already been posted elsewhere. (He and his twin brother want to join the Roman Catholics.) Does Dobbie fall between the cracks in the sense that he wasn't working for the dioceses in which the schools lay? He certainly should not have any sort of involvement with children once out of clink.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Janey Jam-Jar wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:26 pmHe certainly should not have any sort of involvement with children once out of clink.
I’d rather hope that this was something governed by the law of the land rather than the wet statutes of the sky pixie people.
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

People don't always abide by the law of the land. The church is about forgiveness and once the sentence has been served is the slate clean? DBS checks should now show up his conviction but people can be manipulative and not accepting of reality.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Janey Jam-Jar wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:03 am People don't always abide by the law of the land. The church is about forgiveness and once the sentence has been served is the slate clean? DBS checks should now show up his conviction but people can be manipulative and not accepting of reality.
A question for Richard.
My understanding is that (with one exception) you can change your name by simply informing those you deal with like the bank. The exception is that a Deed Poll has to be created if property is involved.

What effective method is there to stop him doing a simple change of name to that of someone else (without claiming to be that person) and not informing the DBS.?

As for a DBS check when I did it they simply wanted some proof of ID and of address. (Incidentally a UK original Adoption Certificate is NOT proof of ID - you need a birth certificate as I found out to me embarrassment. I found it a peice of cake to obtain a new birth certificate for a youngish person without any rigmarole despite the regulations by telling a simple in my case truth.)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

Janey Jam-Jar wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:03 am People don't always abide by the law of the land. The church is about forgiveness and once the sentence has been served is the slate clean? DBS checks should now show up his conviction but people can be manipulative and not accepting of reality.
Assuming Dobie is sentenced to more than 30 months then he'll be on the sex offenders register for life. He'll have to notify police of his address, bank details and any change of name, or if he wants to be away from home for more than a week. Plus the police can get civil injunctions to prevent activity that endangers kids:

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/offences/the- ... -register/

All sounds good but the police are being run on a shoestring so I'm not convinced they'll monitor him effectively, given many actual crimes are now being parked as too difficult to investigate.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I wonder what the French will feel about letting him to back to "Albi" his current registered address I believe?
Particularly after Brexit, depending on what their immigration rules about sex-offenders entering the country?

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Scazza wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:56 am
All sounds good but the police are being run on a shoestring so I'm not convinced they'll monitor him effectively, given many actual crimes are now being parked as too difficult to investigate.
Too true but are they in cahoorts with the insurance industry?
Our police will no longer register a house burglary.
Insurance companies demand a case number when claiming for a burglary.
Why buy insurance?

It is a term of one of my debit cards that it's loss must be reported to the local police and the police reference (or file) transmitted to the issuers. My wallet was filched back in about 2001 and some of the cards used. The Met refused to register the theft (it occurred in Bond Street) because "it has nothing to do with us" I even had arrangements for them to receive the CCTV footage of its use from two inner London bank branches.
Fortunately when the issuers heard it was that police force they did issue a replacement.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

jtaylor wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:31 pm I wonder what the French will feel about letting him to back to "Albi" his current registered address I believe?
Particularly after Brexit, depending on what their immigration rules about sex-offenders entering the country?

J
This was mentioned before. I think the terms of probation mean he will have to be in the UK where they can monitor him. I think EU law says that you can't restrict freedom of movement on the basis that someone is a danger to your citizens. That would be against their human rights! Certainly opens the door to cross-jurisdiction offenders. I'm not sure Europol is much use.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

All these possible options for him.

I have the perfect solution, but then I'm getting old and far too right wing on crime issues to please the current number of names pamby politically correct brigade.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Monitoring sex offenders is one thing the police ARE good at so have no fears on that front.

If he changes his name then the new name will have no traceable background and so will ring alarm bells.

So far as his flat in Albi is concerned, hopefully he will be sued and it gets taken off. Our judgments can be enforced in Europe (and elsewhere) and he isn't going to able to do much about it.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

The priest colleague, who was working with me today, said that while defrocking may not exist in name now, the equivalent will apply to Dobbie. It will make no difference that he was a school chaplain rather than a parish priest. He will never again be allowed to act as a priest. My colleague was unsure of the exact procedure, never having been involved in such procedures himself.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965