Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Post by Mid A 15 »

marty wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:10 am Are we certain it's Ernest and not Edward?
No, well I'm not anyway.

During my time In Mid A he was known as ERM when we were being respectable or 'Joe Crow' (no idea why unless it was that he was occasionally a bit scruffy compared to other Masters of the time) when we were not.

I never actually discovered his Christian names. Unlike 'call me Ron' Lorimer on informal occasions, he never disclosed them as far as I am aware.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Thanks. Reason for asking is that I can find a UK birth record for an Edward R McCall in 1944 (which would appear to be the right age) but not an Ernest R McCall. Obviously if he was born outside of the UK he wouldn't appear on those records. There is no (UK) death record for Edward R McCall.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Mid A 15 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:56 pm
marty wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:10 am Are we certain it's Ernest and not Edward?
He was known as Ernie or Crud in my time
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

marty wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:48 pm Thanks. Reason for asking is that I can find a UK birth record for an Edward R McCall in 1944 (which would appear to be the right age) but not an Ernest R McCall. Obviously if he was born outside of the UK he wouldn't appear on those records. There is no (UK) death record for Edward R McCall.
I have also searched and come to the same conclusion as you.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:53 pm
Mid A 15 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:56 pm
He was known as Ernie or Crud in my time
Evening, Golfer do you remember this person's full name an nickname perchance?
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

scrub wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:10 am
LHA wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:32 pmI don't recall Housemasters ever moving house before (not sure if he had a gap). I wonder if there was a specific reason for that?
Staff moved around a fair bit during my time, as I remember it anyway, not any specific reason as far as I can recall. The Endacott's, Holdsworth's, Flemming's, for example, all were in multiple houses while I was there. Also a bunch of teachers who were house masters/tutors then moved out but still taught and vice versa. There was a constant churn. Not monthly, but every year or so people would move about. It just seemed like normal practice to me.
Not really true about the Flemmings. They stayed in ColA for years but when the Grecians' Houses were created they moved to Grecians West. I can't believe how long they were house parents. Amazing commitment. I have to mention the Robinsons in LHB in this respect. Elspeth Robinson deserves a medal for her long term devotion - she has just retired.
There was an element of "promotion"/recognition of families / time served in moves to the larger attached houses e.g. the Avenells from ColB to LHB and the Endacotts from ColA to PeA and the Buckmans from BaA to LHA.
Was Howard Holdsworth housemaster of any house apart from Peele A. I don't think so.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Golfer wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 pm
LHA wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:32 pmI don't recall Housemasters ever moving house before (not sure if he had a gap). I wonder if there was a specific reason for that?
Staff moved around a fair bit during my time, as I remember it anyway, not any specific reason as far as I can recall. The Endacott's, Holdsworth's, Flemming's, for example, all were in multiple houses while I was there. Also a bunch of teachers who were house masters/tutors then moved out but still taught and vice versa. There was a constant churn. Not monthly, but every year or so people would move about. It just seemed like normal practice to me.
Not really true about the Flemmings. They stayed in ColA for years but when the Grecians' Houses were created they moved to Grecians West. I can't believe how long they were house parents. Amazing commitment. I have to mention the Robinsons in LHB in this respect. Elspeth Robinson deserves a medal for her long term devotion - she has just retired.
There was an element of "promotion"/recognition of families / time served in moves to the larger attached houses e.g. the Avenells from ColB to LHB and the Endacotts from ColA to PeA and the Buckmans from BaA to LHA.
Was Howard Holdsworth housemaster of any house apart from Peele A. I don't think so.
are you able to confirm Mr McCalls full given name and what he was known by by fellow teachers
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

Golfer wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 pmWas Howard Holdsworth housemaster of any house apart from Peele A. I don't think so.
Maine B. A poster on another thread remembers him well.

The point I was trying to convey was that staff moving between houses (or moving out but staying at the school) was not unusual.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Tim, we were your neighbours in Maine B from 92-95!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Golfer wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 pm
At the time, I was under the impression that Housemasters had a maximum term of 14 years.

That's long enough, but maybe not accurate?
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:03 pm
At the time, I was under the impression that Housemasters had a maximum term of 14 years.

That's long enough, but maybe not accurate?
Never heard of that before. Dr Stuart was Maine A housemaster from 1991 to 2006 which is 15 years. But then again he was amazing so I can see them making an exception (should such a rule exist).
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

Just amazing that Ross continued for so long. As did the Robinsons and Flemings.
Respect to them all. It was never an easy job.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Golfer wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:25 pm Just amazing that Ross continued for so long. As did the Robinsons and Flemings.
Respect to them all. It was never an easy job.
Was Robinson a woodwork/metalwork teacher who joined in the mid 80s?
jakew
3rd Former

Post by jakew »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:50 am
Yes, widely regarded as being thick as two short planks due to both the subject he taught and his northern origins. With hindsight, he was probably a pretty reasonable chap.

Mrs Robinson (maiden name forgotten) was the Home Economics teacher of similar vintage.

Suspect they may have hooked up as apart from “Golfer”, also of this parish, they were among the few staff members not to have stepped straight out of a “Fast Show” sketch.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jakew wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:30 am
CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:50 am
Yes, widely regarded as being thick as two short planks due to both the subject he taught and his northern origins. With hindsight, he was probably a pretty reasonable chap.

Mrs Robinson (maiden name forgotten) was the Home Economics teacher of similar vintage.

Suspect they may have hooked up as apart from “Golfer”, also of this parish, they were among the few staff members not to have stepped straight out of a “Fast Show” sketch.

PRICELESS, Jake

Home Economics ? Must have been for the gals ! "Today, I shall be mostly eating....!"

I get your drift.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.