Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Post by michael scuffil »

I don't recall Housemasters ever moving house before

In the olden days, it happened occasionally if a housemaster got married. There were only four (Upper) houses with married quarters (MaB, ThA, PeA, PeB). While housemasters could live in nearby staff houses, this only gradually became normal for housemasters, and then only when the staff houses in East Gun and West Gun Copse roads were built (c. 1960). (Though Fryer lived in a house in the Avenue.)

Having said which, I can only recall one such move. When John Page (housemaster of ThB) got married, he moved into a new house in West Gun Copse road. But quite soon after, he moved to ThA, and gave this as the reason ('the house was too far away'). (It probably wasn't the real reason. More likely, Seaman sent him to ThA to sort the place out.)

This had a curious epilogue. His replacement was Pat Cullen, who was a bachelor when he arrived in ThB. But when he got married, he lived for a term in ... Worthing! (Seaman, we know, was decidedly unhappy about this.) The Cullens then moved into 1 King Edward Road -- not exactly next door either.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Long afte rhousemastering, Pat Cullen found himself living in one of CHs better houses opposite Doctor's Lake. This would have been in the 80s
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

are you able to confirm Mr McCalls full given name and what he was known by by fellow teachers
I'm afraid not. And Richard is the name that I used in conversations. Pupil nicknames are a real art form!
wagenman
3rd Former

Post by wagenman »

jakew wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:30 am
CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:50 am
Was Robinson a woodwork/metalwork teacher who joined in the mid 80s?
Yes, widely regarded as being thick as two short planks due to both the subject he taught and his northern origins. With hindsight, he was probably a pretty reasonable chap.

Mrs Robinson (maiden name forgotten) was the Home Economics teacher of similar vintage.

Suspect they may have hooked up as apart from “Golfer”, also of this parish, they were among the few staff members not to have stepped straight out of a “Fast Show” sketch.
Do you know if Robinson married twice? This thread references an Elspeth Robinson but i seem to recall his wife had a different name.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

Great Plum wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:47 am Tim, we were your neighbours in Maine B from 92-95!
Not surprising, is it, that my observations here get questioned! What a memory blank. Perhaps it illustrates how much housemasters can be in their own little world that is their own boarding house. That or dementia!
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

wagenman wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:44 am Do you know if Robinson married twice? This thread references an Elspeth Robinson but i seem to recall his wife had a different name.
Catherine Hartnett IIRC.
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

I think Mr Robinson "its not metalwork, its craft, design and technology: cdt for short" in a tough middlesboro accent.....

....was married to a very northern textiles teacher. We had lessons in the lower floor of infirmary. I didn't think it was much fun but a nice girl in our class went on to become a prof of textiles at Exeter uni.

I may be confused though as Robinson may have married the fantastic and gorgeous Home Economics teacher Miss Hartnett. I don't remember any of them hanging around for long after 1985-86, though Julian may know more as I think she was in LHB for a bit.

Sorry to digress but I was smitten with Miss Hartnett, as was virtually every man and boy with a pulse in the school! Home Economics was the best anyway as you got to make food! I remember psychotically hot vol au vents and pizza which could fetch £2-3 if you didn't devour it all yourself. Thanks to Miss H, I also learned making curries from scratch, which I'm still working on 30yrs later. I hope she has got on well, fantastic lady.
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

So the whereabouts of McCall - who was 'big mates' with Dobbie and Pattison:
http://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic.p ... 93&#p57193
...are unknown?! Someone must know...
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

I had to smile when I heard that at an Old Blues' Golf meeting that ERM had teamed up with Ken Grimshaw in setting up a school in the Far East. It might be true but you could knock me down with a feather if it was....
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

Scazza wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:00 pm I think Mr Robinson "its not metalwork, its craft, design and technology: cdt for short" in a tough middlesboro accent.....

....was married to a very northern textiles teacher. We had lessons in the lower floor of infirmary. I didn't think it was much fun but a nice girl in our class went on to become a prof of textiles at Exeter uni.

I may be confused though as Robinson may have married the fantastic and gorgeous Home Economics teacher Miss Hartnett. I don't remember any of them hanging around for long after 1985-86, though Julian may know more as I think she was in LHB for a bit.

Sorry to digress but I was smitten with Miss Hartnett, as was virtually every man and boy with a pulse in the school! Home Economics was the best anyway as you got to make food! I remember psychotically hot vol au vents and pizza which could fetch £2-3 if you didn't devour it all yourself. Thanks to Miss H, I also learned making curries from scratch, which I'm still working on 30yrs later. I hope she has got on well, fantastic lady.
They split during the lat eighties I believe as she lived alone in the LHB flat whilst he was somewhere else. I believe that Mr Robinson had something to say another male of member of staff about their 'relationship'.... She came as Robinson but left as Hartnett - or that's how I remember it.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

wagenman wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:44 am
jakew wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:30 am
CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:50 am
Was Robinson a woodwork/metalwork teacher who joined in the mid 80s?
Yes, widely regarded as being thick as two short planks due to both the subject he taught and his northern origins. With hindsight, he was probably a pretty reasonable chap.

Mrs Robinson (maiden name forgotten) was the Home Economics teacher of similar vintage.

Suspect they may have hooked up as apart from “Golfer”, also of this parish, they were among the few staff members not to have stepped straight out of a “Fast Show” sketch.
Do you know if Robinson married twice? This thread references an Elspeth Robinson but i seem to recall his wife had a different name.
Elspeth Robinson has not married twice, and her husband of 35-ish years is the Revd Chris Robinson, best known to non-LHB folk as running the model railway club in a little building between the scout hut and the CDT school. I’m a friend of the family. I have no knowledge of any relation to this Mr Robinson, who must have been before my time.

On a totally separate note, why is this thread in the historical abuse section? Possibly misleading and damaging? Led me initially to think McCall had something to do with it. Suggest it be moved? Cheers.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Otter wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:49 pm On a totally separate note, why is this thread in the historical abuse section? Possibly misleading and damaging? Led me initially to think McCall had something to do with it. Suggest it be moved? Cheers.
Done - moved.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

Damaging?

Maybe have a look at some posts related to the bloke!
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

I think this thread is in the right place, and I think most people who will recall the reasons for this man's sudden departure will feel the same. If he's still alive I am sure he can provide his own account, and you can't libel the dead.
Poor_Sunyol
2nd Former

Post by Poor_Sunyol »

I suppose you had to move it as with out proof it is just hearsay and therefore slander. He was my House Master in Maine A but what I can confirm is that he did like to be called Ernie. That is what he would make me call him when I was in his flat, alone and being given alcohol.