staff accommodation

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: staff accommodation

Post by Golfer »

sejintenej wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:32 pm
J.R. wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:08 pm
Just out of interest, is this staff accomodation 'Grace and Favour', or are costs deducted from salary ??
Under UK Tax rules you must pay for accommodation which you use. Of course this could be a specific deduction from salary. If you don't then the owner has to pay income tax on the rent which that lodging should (in their opinion) earn. I learned about this when a couple (not my wife and I) gave their home to their children to reduce inheritance tax but remained in it. The children were taxed on the (non-existant) income following a legal case
I don't think this is a direct comparison. Of course HMRC will want to work against families' attempts to evade IHT.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

graham wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:04 pm Tim, you'll be pleased to know that this tradition was still going strong when I started in Maine B in 1990! I can't remember if it was CHK or TBB that was in charge of tracking progress at that time, but I do know that I was terrible at steeplechasing and the thought of that Mars bar kept me at it!
Graham. Thanks for making my day. This forum is often depressing for me. As a teacher you try to make a difference and usually don't. It is great that I appear to have influenced things six years after leaving MaB!
Andyjf
2nd Former

Post by Andyjf »

Think it was CHK and was still going 92-95. Certainly inspired me around the course a few times. Still a keen runner today so it obviously worked!
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

Golfer wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:49 pm I did this by racing individual boys 3 times a day around the steeple chase course with the promise of a mars bar for an improved performance.
Obviously this would now be banned for safeguarding reasons. Member of staff and boy in Shelley's Wood at the same time.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Golfer wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:03 pm
Golfer wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:49 pm I did this by racing individual boys 3 times a day around the steeple chase course with the promise of a mars bar for an improved performance.
Obviously this would now be banned for safeguarding reasons. Member of staff and boy in Shelley's Wood at the same time.
On the principle that a person in charge should never ask a subordinate to do something that he/she would not do the idea holds a lot of merit. OK so avoid Shellys Wood and do five times around the mile in full public view.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Golfer wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:44 pm
CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:16 pm
J.R. wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:43 pm Nothing to do with Keyhole Kate, I trust !
So the story goes, he used to peek through the keyhole before entering the classroom to catch pupils misbehaving.

One day he got a shock, when a pupil squirted superglue through it.
This has got to be apochryphal.
It could well be an urban myth, but did the rounds when I was a junior
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Golfer wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:40 pm
CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:25 pm Have you still got the Triumph Dolomite Sprint?
This is actually my major claim to CH fame.
I think I am still the only person to write off a car within the ring fence!
And I also did £1K damage to another car in the process.
I think it was a fast trip to Horsham to get in food for some MaB or PeA bash.
I was heading to the East Gate at significantly faster that the 15mph speed limit.
Another car appeared through the gate. {No cars can now
enter or leave via this way which increases my chances of keeping this unfortunate "record".]
I hit the brakes.
It was Autumn and there were wet leaves and the camber was against me.
I slid across the road into the other car (a visitor, rather than a member of staff)
And the Triumph Dolomite's chassis was no longer in line!
Haha, great story!

Hadn't heard that before.

I liked that car.

Racing green with a throaty exhaust, you must have been sorry to see it go.

There were a number of quick drivers at that time.

Shippen in his Renault 5 Giordini, Gripper in his Renault estate, and a number of others like Elliott who were pretty useful behind the wheel of a minibus.

I only heard of one prang involving a teacher's car

And it was a pupil, not the teacher driving it.

The teacher's wife, for some inexplicable reason, let a pupil drive it round the section of the Mile by the infirmary

Unlike you, he did not get as far as the gates before something untoward happened

He or his mum had to repay £10/ month.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I hit the brakes.
I slid across the road into the other car (a visitor, rather than a member of staff)
These things happen and there is not much one can do about it. Reminds me of an early 1950s winter situation where I was in the passenger seat of a Rover 75 (and yes, they DID make that model then!).

Went into a slide and as Mr B corrected it we came off the ice at one end rather hard. Minutes later Mr B shrugged his shoulders and said that the car was steering funny. We continued to our destination and then home. Inspection showed that out of the eight bolts holding the body on the chassis he had sheared seven and the body was at an angle to the chassis.
He tended to have things go wrong - driving a mini he blacked out and the car went up the earthen bank at the side, rolled over onto its side. The window was broken and he came to. Pushed the car onto its wheels and drove home. He was close to 80 at the time. He reckoned he was healthy so he had the car examined in detail and they found pinholes in the exhaust - he had had carbon monoxide poisoning
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Golfer wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:45 pm I was the last member of staff to live in a room next to the lower dorm and to have a dayroom study. This was for three years in Maine B from 1981-4. It was unreasonable as it was basically like being on duty 24/7, seven days a week. I also did six and a third sporting activities a week which was totally unreasonable for a first year teacher. AND there was no reduction in time-table so that you could learn on the job. But I suppose the Headmaster, Derek Baker, did let me know at appointment what I was in for!
The old junior housemaster accommodation was dire. And in the days before senior and junior houses was even more dire. Your tiny study/living room was next to the dayroom and opposite the changing room, and your bedroom was next to the junior dormitory (mind you, that may have been quieter in the evening than the senior dormitory).
The senior housemaster had his study in the posher and quieter centre part of the house, but he still slept next to the (senior) dormitory.
The senior-housemaster accommodation in houses with married quarters attached, or when the housemaster lived out, was allocated to more senior bachelor non-housemasters. I remember Jack Rust had rooms in Thornton A. For the time, it probably wasn't bad accommodation.
Matrons and housemaids lived right in the centre of house-blocks on two floors. Not too bad for the matron, but pretty crowded for the maids.

Does anyone know if the kitchens operated for resident masters out of term-time?

I remember Mrs Johnstone (Johnson?), who was in charge of such matters, saying that resident masters paid quite a hefty charge for their board and lodging. They had all meals provided and could book in for something called 'lates' (a hot light supper available, say, after returning from a concert in London). It would have been provided by Mr and Mrs Rainbow (though they would probably have gone to bed by then).

Talking of Mrs J., she had really quite luxurious apartments behind Dining Hall.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

The old junior housemaster accommodation was dire....

The senior housemaster had his study in ....

When did the terminology change?

In my day there were Senior and Junior Housemasters in charge of either senior or junior houses.

They were assisted by house tutors.

A tutor was never known as a junior or senior housemaster.

It's like calling every pilot a Captain.

You have to earn those stripes
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:07 pm
CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:25 pm Have you still got the Triumph Dolomite Sprint?
This is actually my major claim to CH fame.
I think I am still the only person to write off a car within the ring fence!
And I also did £1K damage to another car in the process.
I think it was a fast trip to Horsham to get in food for some MaB or PeA bash.
I was heading to the East Gate at significantly faster that the 15mph speed limit.
Another car appeared through the gate. {No cars can now
enter or leave via this way which increases my chances of keeping this unfortunate "record".]
I hit the brakes.
Haha, great story!

Hadn't heard that before.

I liked that car.

Racing green with a throaty exhaust, you must have been sorry to see it go.

There were a number of quick drivers at that time.

Shippen in his Renault 5 Giordini, Gripper in his Renault estate, and a number of others like Elliott who were pretty useful behind the wheel of a minibus.

I only heard of one prang involving a teacher's car

And it was a pupil, not the teacher driving it.

The teacher's wife, for some inexplicable reason, let a pupil drive it round the section of the Mile by the infirmary

Unlike you, he did not get as far as the gates before something untoward happened

He or his mum had to repay £10/ month.
Just had a report in from a friend at center parks Longleat.

A whole load of Dolomites were in the Tank museum car park earlier
MattJ
2nd Former

Post by MattJ »

I am applying to work at CH and am wondering about staff accommodation. I have scoured the CH webpage, but there are very few details about teacher living arrangements. Do teachers live in houses or apartments, or something else? I am married and have a young daughter, so the details of living arrangements are quite important to me.

Thanks for any help.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Accommodation is allocated according to circumstance.
MattJ
2nd Former

Post by MattJ »

harryh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:52 pm Accommodation is allocated according to circumstance.
Thanks for the response. What would be the likely arrangement for a family of three with a 7-year-old? Mostly I'm wondering if the living arrangements are conducive to a long-term stay. Or are they more comfortable for young single people who plan to move on in a few years?
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

MattJ wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:57 pm
harryh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:52 pm Accommodation is allocated according to circumstance.
Thanks for the response. What would be the likely arrangement for a family of three with a 7-year-old? Mostly I'm wondering if the living arrangements are conducive to a long-term stay. Or are they more comfortable for young single people who plan to move on in a few years?
Very conducive, inclusive and welcoming...we stayed for 27 years!