staff accommodation

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: staff accommodation

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:08 pm
Just out of interest, is this staff accomodation 'Grace and Favour', or are costs deducted from salary ??
Under UK Tax rules you must pay for accommodation which you use. Of course this could be a specific deduction from salary. If you don't then the owner has to pay income tax on the rent which gthat lodging should (in their opinion) earn. I learned about this when a couple (not my wife and I) gave their home to their children to reduce inheritance tax but remained in it. The children were taxed on the (non-existant) income following a legal case
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

cstegerlewis wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:12 pm Ali Muir, RIP, another gone far too early
Was he the tall guy with reasonably long light brown hair?
Shame.
There was a cluster of untimely deaths in the 80s, leukaemia, cystic fibrosis
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

He was tall, blond hair. Not natural causes I am afraid, a little while after he left CH
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

Golfer wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:49 pm I did this by racing individual boys 3 times a day around the steeple chase course with the promise of a mars bar for an improved performance.
Tim, you'll be pleased to know that this tradition was still going strong when I started in Maine B in 1990! I can't remember if it was CHK or TBB that was in charge of tracking progress at that time, but I do know that I was terrible at steeplechasing and the thought of that Mars bar kept me at it!
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Golfer wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:49 pm I just loved Clive Kemp. He was most amazing mentor and person during 3 years in Maine B, It was so sad that he died. He was so fit as well. One of my most cherished Maine B achievements was to take them from last to first in the steeple chase in 1984. I did this by racing individual boys 3 times a day around the steeple chase course with the promise of a mars bar for an improved performance. It was amazing for my own fitness as 1984 was one of my two best best golf seasons. However at the end of that 1984 Easter Term - having beaten the winner of the junior steeple chase the week before he won (Aly Muir) - I foolishly challenged Clive Kemp to a race around the course, It was quite close but I was never going to beat him even though he was years older than me!
Kemp

v. Kemped, Kemping, Kemps
v.intr.

a. To move swiftly on foot so that both or all feet are not on the ground during each stride.
b. To retreat rapidly; flee: When they heard the school bell, they Kemped it.
c. Informal To depart; leave: Sorry, I have to Kemp.

conj.

I Kemp
You Kemp
He Kemps
We Kemp
You Kemp
They Kemp

RIP Clive!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Keyhole Clive

Any truth to the story about how he got that name?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Nothing to do with Keyhole Kate, I trust !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

On the tax rules front, I'm not an expert, albeit briefly an Inland Revenue Officer (refunds, I am proud to say), if there is accommodation that is 'essential' for an aspect of the job, then it is not regarded as a taxable benefit. E.g. a pub landlord living 'above the shop', some farm workers, vicars etc. I don't know the specifics, but I would imagine that if you were a Housemaster or Assistant to one, there was a 'security'* element to the job, being nearby in case of fire or disorder, so I would imagine that it was exempt from tax, and frankly, it'd be a nerve to call living in a House a benefit, never mind the food.

I recall that one teacher, a visiting Australian opera singer, c. 1983, Mr Steele iirc, had a rather considerable grievance about his accommodation which, I understood was not as was promised to him, and for some reason he drove around the School in a camper van, which I think was his back-up plan. He was working at the School whilst developing his opera singing. He left abruptly in spectacular fashion reportedly having given a delivery of his thoughts in true Dennis Lillie fashion when the school governors were on a visit.

He was a great teacher too, and was ridiculously easy to side-track, one mention of Australia and he'd reminisce, often with amazing tales about the Victorian-era explorers who ranged across Australia up the few rivers.

*Yes, I know the reverse happened in a few cases.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

The fundamental principle underpinning taxation under Schedule E (ie PAYE employees) is as below:

Broadly tax relief is available when expenses are incurred 'wholly, exclusively and necessarily in the performance of the duties of the employment' 5. ... Under this exemption, qualifying expenses can be paid by employers free of tax without the need for an employer to apply to HMRC for a dispensation.

I would think there is a compelling argument for staff such as housemasters to live on the premises under the criteria listed above and thus separating out any so-called private benefit would also be difficult if not impossible given the potential 24/7 nature of a housemaster's duties.

I guess HMRC might try to argue the toss that there is a private benefit during the holidays but that should be countered in my opinion by the fact that the employee has the effective removal of the private benefit of 'choice' as to where they live because of their duties.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

michael scuffil wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:32 pm Having written this

http://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic.p ... 21#p143121

in another thread, it occurred to me to wonder if we had a thread on staff houses.

Originally, I think, apart from the bachelor accommodation in the boarding houses, there were attached houses for the married housemasters of PrepA, PrepB, MaB, ThA, PeB and PeA, and 'married quarters' in houses opposite Maine, Barnes, Middleton, Thornton and Peele. (Most of these latter were occupied in my day by fairly important masters.) Then there were the houses (to the same design as the ones in the Avenue) in King Edward Road. There was also the bachelor house (White's) with I think three flats (considered desirable), and most upmarket of all, Stammerham (occupied by George Newberry, head of Geography, and his wife almost the whole time I was there).
Living off-campus was rather unusual (in my day, MacNutt lived in Broadbridge Heath, Reggie Dean lived in Horsham, and Gad Malins had an estate house on Five Mile Ash Road).

The first major additions were the houses (six in all) in East Gun and West Gun Copse roads, dating from c. 1960 (mostly occupied at first by married junior housemasters, a category unthought-of in 1902), then a further bachelor residence built next to the infirmary (c. 1962), and then the staff flats in the boarding-house extensions built in 1964.
Yes, you're right about Gad living on Five Mile Ash Road. When Kirby was briefly housemaster of Col. B (after Buck had left under a cloud) he used to depute pupils to take Chlorine for a walk. A friend and I were just passing Gad's house with Chlorine when out rushed Gad's dog and started shagging Chlorine (who I must say was by this time well past the first flush of youth). We reported this incident to Kirby who was totally unfazed (as indeed was Chlorine if I remember) and said that she'd been "done" a long time ago. This phrase "leaving under a cloud" is interesting, isn't it. In Brideshead Revisited Anthony Blanche recounts to Charles how he left Eton under a cloud. "I can't imagine why they call it that," he said. "At the time it seemed like a most unwelcome beam of light."
Last edited by rockfreak on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

MrEd wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 pm On the tax rules front, I'm not an expert, albeit briefly an Inland Revenue Officer (refunds, I am proud to say), if there is accommodation that is 'essential' for an aspect of the job, then it is not regarded as a taxable benefit. E.g. a pub landlord living 'above the shop', some farm workers, vicars etc. I don't know the specifics, but I would imagine that if you were a Housemaster or Assistant to one, there was a 'security'* element to the job, being nearby in case of fire or disorder, so I would imagine that it was exempt from tax, and frankly, it'd be a nerve to call living in a House a benefit, never mind the food.

I recall that one teacher, a visiting Australian opera singer, c. 1983, Mr Steele iirc, had a rather considerable grievance about his accommodation which, I understood was not as was promised to him, and for some reason he drove around the School in a camper van, which I think was his back-up plan. He was working at the School whilst developing his opera singing. He left abruptly in spectacular fashion reportedly having given a delivery of his thoughts in true Dennis Lillie fashion when the school governors were on a visit.

He was a great teacher too, and was ridiculously easy to side-track, one mention of Australia and he'd reminisce, often with amazing tales about the Victorian-era explorers who ranged across Australia up the few rivers.

*Yes, I know the reverse happened in a few cases.
He was great. Taught maths...some of the time..when not being sidetracked

Didnt know he was an opera singer!

That mobile home did about 10 gallons to the mile

He never stopped telling us about his cost of living and that he wasnt getting a fair deal

Ended up in a head to head with Baker

Only one winner there
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

J.R. wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:43 pm Nothing to do with Keyhole Kate, I trust !
So the story goes, he used to peek through the keyhole before entering the classroom to catch pupils misbehaving.

One day he got a shock, when a pupil squirted superglue through it.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

cstegerlewis wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:57 am He was tall, blond hair. Not natural causes I am afraid, a little while after he left CH
I remember him.

Good cross country runner and pretty good alround sportsman.

Seem to think he played Bass Drum in the Band.

Presumably moved to MaA with Ernie McCall as housemaster
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:25 pm Have you still got the Triumph Dolomite Sprint?
This is actually my major claim to CH fame.
I think I am still the only person to write off a car within the ring fence!
And I also did £1K damage to another car in the process.
I think it was a fast trip to Horsham to get in food for some MaB or PeA bash.
I was heading to the East Gate at significantly faster that the 15mph speed limit.
Another car appeared through the gate. {No cars can now
enter or leave via this way which increases my chances of keeping this unfortunate "record".]
I hit the brakes.
It was Autumn and there were wet leaves and the camber was against me.
I slid across the road into the other car (a visitor, rather than a member of staff)
And the Triumph Dolomite's chassis was no longer in line!
Last edited by Golfer on Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:16 pm
J.R. wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:43 pm Nothing to do with Keyhole Kate, I trust !
So the story goes, he used to peek through the keyhole before entering the classroom to catch pupils misbehaving.

One day he got a shock, when a pupil squirted superglue through it.
This has got to be apochryphal.