Attitudes to sports

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Attitudes to sports

Post by MrEd »

My original comment was that Karim had transformed girls sport at CH.
I think that the gist of the response might be that such a comment is like saying of Ronnie Biggs 'He is used to handling large quantities of cash.', context is everything and one might have a reasonable expectation of such a description being qualified when it was made, e.g. 'He is used to handling large quantities of cash, particularly cash that has been stolen.'
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

Golfer wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:00 pm
DazedandConfused wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:27 pm Well, that’s the first time I’ve been called Stalinist. It’s about phrasing and context, your original comment sounded deliberately inflammatory.
My original comment was that Karim had transformed girls sport at CH.
If anyone wants to contradict this, please do. I will argue with you very strongly.
That doesn't mean he didn't commit the offences for which he is spending years in prison. Or that he was a bad human being of which CH should be ashamed.
This is much like Jerry Sandusky (or Barry Bennell, George Ormand, Bob Higgins, etc etc etc), despite all the abuses he was convicted of people still can't take their eyes of the shiny sporting bauble they were associated with.

I think for a lot of people this is a prime example of why/how these abusers were allowed to thrive and why any discussion about the events usually degenerates into a lot of crossed wires and bad feelings.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
Richard
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Richard »

I knew only the JH Edwards regime for PT and I still remember (more or less) the single session he gave at the start of the year for monitors to learn his principles of PT, when devising exercises for the daily 10 minute outdoor, weekday (Wed excepted) morning PT sessions.

It was:
1. Start with a moderately energetic, simple exercise (eg flip-flap, ie stride jumping with arms raised to horizontal position during first jump, then return to original position during second jump). This warmed up the squad.
2. Leg exercise
3. Arm exercise
4. Another jumping exercise
5. Leg exercise (more energetic)
6. Arm exercise (more complex)
7. Balance exercise
8. Exercise on all fours (eg press ups)
9. Final energetic exercise (eg star jumps, ie start in erect position, with ankles together and arms by sides, then jump with legs moving astride and arms moving to horizontal position during the ascent and both legs and arms being returned to starting position during descent)

At the time it all seemed very logical. But, since JHE was a very conservative guy, the comments quoted from his successor seem highly likely to be correct. Monitors mostly devised the PT exercises, except for those imposed on all houses during part of the summer term. They formed the syllabus for the inter house PT cup competition (usually won by Maine B during my time).
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Richard wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:32 am I knew only the JH Edwards regime for PT and I still remember (more or less) the single session he gave at the start of the year for monitors to learn his principles of PT, when devising exercises for the daily 10 minute outdoor, weekday (Wed excepted) morning PT sessions.

It was:
1. Start with a moderately energetic, simple ...............................

But, since JHE was a very conservative guy, the comments quoted from his successor seem highly likely to be correct. Monitors mostly devised the PT exercises, except for those imposed on all houses during part of the summer term. They formed the syllabus for the inter house PT cup competition (usually won by Maine B during my time).
In Col A we also had two stretching exercises:
Feet apart, touch ground without bending knee, straighten arms over head, repeat multiple times
Feet apart, arms horizontal, twist to left as far as possible, twist to right as far as possible and repeat multiple times
It was these which IMHO were done too fast to be effective
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

Just read today that although today's young people are taller and heavier they are not so muscular, in spite of all that gym equipment. There's just less regular physical exercise to build up muscle than many of you had.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Golfer wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:48 pm Just read today that although today's young people are taller and heavier they are not so muscular, in spite of all that gym equipment. There's just less regular physical exercise to build up muscle than many of you had.
Surely all that sport forced on the older OB had some effect? Those of us involved in the Bristol University study covering the years since 1903 might just be pleased to remember that we will, on average, live longer lives than those not at CH.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

And not just the pupils, but perhaps also the staff. [With the sad exception of Clive Kemp.]

I know that my best two golfing years, 1984 & 1992, were during or shortly after I was doing a lot of exercise because of sports coaching.