New deputy head

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

marty
Grecian

New deputy head

Post by marty »

https://www.tes.com/jobs/vacancy/deputy ... am-1117322

JR, you've only got 3 weeks to get your application in :lol:
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: New deputy head

Post by sejintenej »

Interesting that they specify that the denomination of the school is "Church of England".
They used to accept Jews and Roman Catholics that I know of - there didn't seem to be any discrimination save based on the pupil's social need. Given that they are recruiting in China and Germany how can they make such a specific limitation or is it just to fill in an answer?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

sejintenej wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:58 pm Interesting that they specify that the denomination of the school is "Church of England".
They used to accept Jews and Roman Catholics that I know of - there didn't seem to be any discrimination save based on the pupil's social need. Given that they are recruiting in China and Germany how can they make such a specific limitation or is it just to fill in an answer?
To the best of my knowledge the denomination of the School has always been Church of England as that is the historic Church of the Chaplains.

That does not in itself preclude pupils from other denominations (and even faiths) from attending the School.

During my time Roman Catholics would attend Mass elsewhere and, like you, I knew of at least two Jewish boys during my time. I'm not sure whether or not they ever attended a synagogue elsewhere. The one I knew best did not give the impression of being particularly devout or bothered.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

To the best of my knowledge the denomination of the School has always been Church of England as that is the historic Church of the Chaplains.
Just curious to know what the School did, if anything, regarding 'denomination' during the reign of bl**dy Mary, half-sister of and successor* to Edward VI, when being Church of England was made difficult. Perhaps she was too busy roasting bishops to bother the nascent institution.

* There was Lady Jane Grey of course.

There were certainly a few Catholics, who weren't recusants, a few boys of Jewish origin (I can't recall any outward expressions of faith on their part, but I do remember a tiny bit of casual anti-semitism. One lad used to mimic a supposed Yiddish accent, but not directed at Jewish individuals, but rather at mean individuals, and one lad asked a Jewish boy if he wanted his bacon, and he reportedly got the slipper from Mr Sillett for that). There was also a Sikh chap, who as a button Grecian recited a Sikh version of grace, Killer Fry didn't seem to mind, but he was quite 'One World' inclined.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

We had a few Roman Catholics, who were taken to Mass every so often. Baroness Ruth Deech, nee Ruth Frankel, is Jewish and famously did not get a leaving bible. The first Moslem girl joined in my last year.

The chapels were consecrated as Anglican, so no wonder the denomination is Anglican!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Abut 1952 I think a Jewish boy arrived in Col B. His trunk had little wheels on which would probably have been a sufficient marker for him to be got at by the other Juniors, but his mother went to Matron to ask for an extra blanket for her little darling, which would surely have sealed his doom. However he left the next day, don't know why, but if it was dietary I cannot imagine the kitchen of those days running special diets. I have no recollection of RCs at CH in those days but remembering a few names some look as if they might have been Jewish but of so, presumably non-observant. Basically we were perhaps sufficiently a CofE show to make other faiths chary of applying.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

marty wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:44 am https://www.tes.com/jobs/vacancy/deputy ... am-1117322

JR, you've only got 3 weeks to get your application in :lol:
Thanks for the support Marty, but age is well against me, as is academic achievement.

I vaguely remember there were one or two Catholic pupils during my time. I believe they were taken to Horsham for Mass etc. I have no recollection of Jewish pupils though they had attended CH before my era. Bernard Levin for one springs to mind.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

MrEd wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:02 pm
There were certainly a few Catholics, who weren't recusants, a few boys of Jewish origin (I can't recall any outward expressions of faith on their part, but I do remember a tiny bit of casual anti-semitism.
Ashton, deputy head of Col A left about 1961 was Jewish. No undercurrents there except in 1960 he got his three S levels but he couldn't get a university place. Therefore he stayed on to dot three more S levels. There was a feeling that the universities didn't want him on religious grounds. He didn't wear a skull cap or have that quotation on his study door - there was nothing to indicate his religion.
One lad asked a Jewish boy if he wanted his bacon, and he reportedly got the slipper from Mr Sillett for that). There was also a Sikh chap, who as a button Grecian recited a Sikh version of grace, Killer Fry didn't seem to mind, but he was quite 'One World' inclined.
Reminds me of a howler I committed. Young lad in the office from ? Mauritius. Nothing to indicate anything non-Caucasian save his name which did not include the Prophet's name. Staff drinks on Christmas Eve and I was handing out the wine. He was perfectly gracious in declining and said that he was a Moslem. That is the way I would like people to behave in such circumstances - not go and get an AK. Hasty apology by me and I happened to have some soft drink in my desk which he accepted.
Special diets.
For my last few years I had a special addition to the CH diet because of a doctor's prescription for a common chronic complaint. The lady superintendant was not totally pleased but after lunch every day I had to go out to the back and collect my banana. I kid you not!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Just curious to know what the School did, if anything, regarding 'denomination' during the reign of bl**dy Mary, half-sister of and successor* to Edward VI, when being Church of England was made difficult. Perhaps she was too busy roasting bishops to bother the nascent institution.

I think it hoped for the best. There is a story in the Christ's Hospital Book that one Edmund Campion (apparently a sort of proto-Senior Grecian) attempted to make an address when the Queen was ceremonially visiting the City of London. But: 'when she came near unto them, she cast her eye another way ... for she did not like the blue boys, but if they had been so many grey friars, she would have given them better countenance'.

As for Campion, well, in the words that Jesson-Dibley sardonically put into his mouth in the 1963 Pageant: 'Though rejected by her late majesty on the occasion of her entry into the City, I shall yet become of her persuasion... I shall choose the Jesuit cause, for which on Tyburn Hill, it shall pleasure her gracious protestant majesty Queen Elizabeth, to have me executed.'

Jesson-Dibley spared us the details: the sentence of Chief Justice Wray was "Ye must go to the place from whence ye came, there to remain until ye shall be drawn through the open city of London upon a hurdle to the place of execution, and there be hanged and let down alive, and your privy parts cut off, and your entrails taken out and burnt in your sight; then your head to be cut off and your body divided into four parts, to be disposed of at Her Majesty’s pleasure. And God have mercy on your soul."

For which he was rewarded with canonization by the church whose caused he espoused.

In my day, there were a few Roman Catholics (who went off to Horsham for Sunday Mass, but otherwise attended daily chapel) and I knew two Jews, who were both non-observant. (There was some adolescent anti-Semitism -- pseudo-Jewish accents and all that, but nothing serious.) One boy was forbidden by his Quaker father to join the CCF (although the boy would have liked to). But there was never any doubt or dispute that CH was basically Anglican. The importance of the 'we never close' chapel was constantly emphasized.
I think Reggie Dean was a Catholic; he didn't send his children to the school, and he was never seen in chapel.

When I started, housemaster Page asked my parents if I had any special religious requirements. They told him I'd been baptized in a Roman Catholic church, but they didn't want any special arrangements.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by robert totterdell »

Hey you lot

Didn't know that they are looking for a new deputy head. Has Flemming gone?
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

robert totterdell wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:18 am Hey you lot

Didn't know that they are looking for a new deputy head. Has Flemming gone?
Mrs Marlene Fleming is retiring next summer.