Resignation of Baker and emergency appointment of Hansford

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Resignation of Baker and emergency appointment of Hansford

Post by Golfer »

robert totterdell wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:10 pm No Golfer
I would never want the closure of CH.
What I want is an apology - and that is it.
It doesn't work like that.
I have got a strong feeling that your apology might be the route to compensation for [many] others.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Golfer wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:51 pm
I have got a strong feeling that your apology might be the route to compensation for [many] others.
I don't think an individual apology to a former pupil in addition to compensation is anything for the school to be worried about and is the least that should be expected.

I note that Jamie Arnell who was on my year and was in your house Golfer, is on the Council.

I didn't really know him, but he was a no nonsense sort of fellow. And he has given generously to the school as an adult.

I'm sure he is as saddened and outraged as the rest of us about what has gone on and will do whatever he can to provide some restitution.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

Golfer wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:51 pm
For years that's the reason Australian governments didn't offer any formal apology to the stolen generations of Indigenous children.
Turns out, it was a load of BS used to justify their absence of even a skerrick of compassion for people they didn't regard as human. Any compensation claims made after Kev Rudd stood up and said formally "On behalf of Australia, I'm sorry" were as unsuccessful as the ones made before.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

I'd be interested in knowing those organisations who have issued such a formal institutional apology.
DeletedAccount

Post by DeletedAccount »

Golfer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:49 pm I'd be interested in knowing those organisations who have issued such a formal institutional apology.
Golfer, there are multiple examples from the private, public and non-governmental sectors: UK Government (Guildford Four, Hillsborough, Turing, Windrush etc. etc.), Oxfam/Save the Children (sexual harassment and abuse), Volkswagen (emissions testing), Facebook (several occasions), Apple (2015 - for offering free streaming but without paying performers), Airbnb (2015 - racial profiling), the Catholic Church (sexual abuse) and the list goes on and on.

In fact, I think it is safe to say that the good practice organizational and corporate norm nowadays is to get out quick with an apology (see this Harvard Business Review blog if you are still not sure: https://hbr.org/2015/09/the-organizational-apology) .

Perhaps the issue is whether it is right or understandable for an organisation to hold back from issuing an apology for fear that it might trigger compensation claims (which implies that there is a basis for the claims). Or is it just a question of an organisation not believing that any mistake was made or refusing to accept any direct responsibility?

In the case of CH, very clear requests for an apology have been made, by both innocent victims of the horrendous abuse that took place and (some members of) the broader school community. At this point, it may not be clear which of the two explanations is driving the continuing silence.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Canada has also shifted to making Apologising-for-things its primary domestic product. It’s the only trick Trudeau has.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

Dick, Thanks for your argument above and for your list which I found helpful.
Any example of schools?
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

The then headmaster of St Benedict’s, Christopher Cleugh, apologised “for the trauma and suffering that so many people have experienced”.

Also, The Boarding Schools' Association has apologised.
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

No apologies - they might cost you. CH is teaching the wily politicians and bureaucrats of the future. (And never learn from any historical facts - that might cost you too).
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

robert totterdell wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 pm Sorry for not responding to all of this sooner (almost wish that I hadn't asked the question). My Address to the Council is on the 2nd November so have been concentrating on that, but...
So today is the day. Good luck Rob!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

marty wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:16 am
robert totterdell wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 pm Sorry for not responding to all of this sooner (almost wish that I hadn't asked the question). My Address to the Council is on the 2nd November so have been concentrating on that, but...
So today is the day. Good luck Rob!
I'm thinking of you Rob!

Love your new avatar, marty! I like the idea of CH in Lego
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

All the best Robert.

You have a lot of support.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Hope it all goes well Robert, and I'm sure we all look forward to your update when you've had time to get your breath back.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DeletedAccount

Post by DeletedAccount »

Golfer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:57 pm Dick, Thanks for your argument above and for your list which I found helpful.
Any example of schools?
Thanks Golfer

A good question.

A quick google search picked up plenty of examples of schools around the world making explicit apologies to innocent victims who suffered sexual abuse at the school, of and in some cases, offering direct support to victims, particularly in the context of Church-school related abuse in Australia and in US.

In the UK, Ampleforth and Downside have both offered full apologies, but only after an independent enquiry had found clear evidence of long-term and deliberate avoidance etc. by both schools:
A spokesperson for Ampleforth College said it was developing its first ever safeguarding charter and would review IICSA’s findings to make further improvements.

“We remain completely focused on the safety and wellbeing of those entrusted to our care and our commitment to implement meaningful change,” he added.

“We would like to once again offer our heartfelt apology to anyone who suffered abuse while in the care of our schools, parishes or other ministries.”

A spokesperson for Downside School offered a “sincere and unreserved apology to all victims and survivors of sexual abuse suffered as a result of the actions of some within the Downside community”.
from The Independent - 8 August 2018 ) https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 84406.html
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by robert totterdell »

Hi All

Thank you for your support.

It was a difficult day for me - the address was 35 minutes long and I have no idea how I got through it - I only broke down three times and just for a moment or two.

If you would like to see it then please contact me through my email address [Email removed as obsolete - please contact via Private Message] - I will delete your addresses if so required.

The Address was extremely powerful as well as personal for me. Might have to do this again for IICSA phase 3 - I hope not.

CH itself has petitioned for IICSA to look at them ( as have I but I will be attending and providing evidence regardless ).

In the end I think the 5 of us on our side (one of my team said 'thank god she was on our side' which referred to a non Old Blue who I took along to give an outside perspective, managed to get a lot of info across.

I did receive a formal apology from both Simon Reid the Head and Chris Steene (probably spelt that wrong but I am very tired) the new Treasurer and Chair of the Council. However I tried to stress that all of the victims needed an apology and not just those Sexually abused - this has damaged a lot of lives, some very seriously.

They did point out that they had apologised formerly to all Old Blues who they have on file and via CHOBA.

At the end I felt CH now can not do much more. As Simon pointed out they can ask for some of the abetters to come forward but they will simply tell the school where to go.

At IICSA I can call for certain masters/mistresses (or whatever they call them now) to be made to answer questions so I will follow on this - my Address names them.

I will be concentrating on both MANDATE NOW which is the campaign to get the Government to change the law to make it a Statutory requirement that teachers must report sexual abuse to the police; I will also persue Burr under the Restorative Justice scheme - I just might get some answers as to what was going on; finally it will be IICSA.

I hope that this helps and please do ask if you would like to see the Address - it's only 14 pages long!

There will be an article in The Daily Telegraph soon and I will let you know the date.

Many thanks to all of you - I just hope some more will some forward to try and finally clear the air.

Rob