Resignation of Baker and emergency appointment of Hansford

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Resignation of Baker and emergency appointment of Hansford

Post by Katharine »

Thank you Robert, for coming to tell us about it, I am sure that many of us have been thinking about you and wondering how it went.

I could say trite things such as hoping the experience has been a healing process and that you will be able to move on, but that would be wholly inappropriate. What I sincerely hope is that this will mean that nobody else has to endure what you did, and that steps are taken to safeguard all children at Horsham. I do hope that you can, somehow, find some peace in your own life.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

robert totterdell wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:37 pm I will be concentrating on both MANDATE NOW which is the campaign to get the Government to change the law to make it a Statutory requirement that teachers must report sexual abuse to the police;
Well done Robert. It is important that you had your say.
The status quo us that teachers must report sexual abuse to the police.
Hibsman
2nd Former

Post by Hibsman »

J.R. wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:39 pm
Golfer wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:56 pm What did he change?

As someone who has followed CH pretty closely for over the last decade, mainly on this site, I can remember Bakers rapid demise well and I'll leave it that for the present time.

I was at CH in the 80’s and am now in my sixth decade. I remember Baker, of course, and I remember his sudden and unexplained departure too.

I’ve actually just joined this site to explore that last comment a little further. As I understand it Derek Baker is now dead. We can neither prosecute nor libel or slander the deceased. So, I’m very curious as to why the circumstances of his departure are still, to this day, a mystery.

About a decade after leaving CH I moved to Scotland. I enrolled with my local dentist and at my first appointment with him we somehow quickly established we were Old Blues. I asked him about Baker, and he too was completely unwilling to divulge anything, but initiated that he knew. My sense was he was a mason (living in Scotland I became more aware of the influence and culture of freemasonry) but I was shocked it was off limits, amongst adults.

I don’t believe for a moment it was related to ‘financial irregularities’, that’s too easy and convenient. So, what is, or was, the great secret?
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

I am not clear what point Hibsman is trying to make, as all that appears on my screen is a repetition of earlier posts by other contributors, without any additional and original comment by Hibsman himself. Did he press a key too soon - as we all have done from time-to-time?
David :shock:
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

David, I think Hibsman’s contribution is the whole section under the quote from Golfer. You can ignore the JR there.

If you click on the up arrow beside JR it takes you back to his post, nothing of that is quoted. Clicking on the up arrow beside Golfer shows his post was cut a lot in that quote.

I only learnt about the up arrows recently after almost 15 years!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Hibsman
2nd Former

Post by Hibsman »

Katharine wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:51 pm David, I think Hibsman’s contribution is the whole section under the quote from Golfer. You can ignore the JR there.

If you click on the up arrow beside JR it takes you back to his post, nothing of that is quoted. Clicking on the up arrow beside Golfer shows his post was cut a lot in that quote.

I only learnt about the up arrows recently after almost 15 years!
Apologies - I was using my iPad and got in to a knot.

I shall repost my comment which was in response to the point that Baker's demise was remembered but no further comment would be forthcoming:

I was at CH in the 80’s and am now in my sixth decade. I remember Baker, of course, and I remember his sudden and unexplained departure too.

I’ve actually just joined this site to explore that last comment a little further. As I understand it Derek Baker is now dead. We can neither prosecute nor libel or slander the deceased. So, I’m very curious as to why the circumstances of his departure are still, to this day, a mystery.

About a decade after leaving CH I moved to Scotland. I enrolled with my local dentist and at my first appointment with him we somehow quickly established we were Old Blues. I asked him about Baker, and he too was completely unwilling to divulge anything, but initiated that he knew. My sense was he was a mason (living in Scotland I became more aware of the influence and culture of freemasonry) but I was shocked it was off limits, amongst adults.

I don’t believe for a moment it was related to ‘financial irregularities’, that’s too easy and convenient. So, what is, or was, the great secret?
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

I have a newspaper cutting but don't know how to upload it here...my bad. Says it was about money and admission procedures...
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

Fertii wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:54 am I have a newspaper cutting but don't know how to upload it here...my bad. Says it was about money and admission procedures...
Yes, money, the cost to the School of owning up to a few of its employees' deeds (tarnishing the rest) and admitting what had gone on.