The Old Blue 2018

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: The Old Blue 2018

Post by J.R. »

Katharine wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:39 am Here in this part of Wales we see a lot of flags, the Red Dragon, of course and in recent years that has been joined by St David’s Cross, yellow upright cross in black, and also Owain Glyndwr’s banner see https://l7.alamy.com/zooms/6efa74a090dc ... ctwjje.jpg. It is rare to see the Union Jack, bunting is usually red, green and white not red blue and white.

Hardly surprising at the lack of the true Union flag in Wales. No love lost between the two countries.

I used to have to spend a day a fortnight working in South and West Wales. I lost count the number of times after speaking, thereby revealing my nationality, that the locals would stop speaking English and break into Welsh, usually in a shop or pub.

I've got a host of stories of my fortnightly visits to Wales. However.....
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Today I saw a combined Celtic Nations Flag see https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=ac ... HqEXAPz4QM: At least I think that was the one I saw, when I googled I found there were several variants on a theme
We like our various flags in Wales!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:30 pm
Katharine wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:39 am Here in this part of Wales we see a lot of flags, the Red Dragon, of course and in recent years that has been joined by St David’s Cross, yellow upright cross in black, and also Owain Glyndwr’s banner see https://l7.alamy.com/zooms/6efa74a090dc ... ctwjje.jpg. It is rare to see the Union Jack, bunting is usually red, green and white not red blue and white.

Hardly surprising at the lack of the true Union flag in Wales. No love lost between the two countries.

I used to have to spend a day a fortnight working in South and West Wales. I lost count the number of times after speaking, thereby revealing my nationality, that the locals would stop speaking English and break into Welsh, usually in a shop or pub.

I've got a host of stories of my fortnightly visits to Wales. However.....
Your experience of living and working in Wales was very different to my own David.

I had six months or so on secondment in Wales in the late seventies and everyone was very friendly. I was even invited to train with the local rugby club although I only played a couple of games for them as I travelled back to London at the weekends and played for my own club more often than not.

I have also enjoyed holidays in various parts of Wales and the natives have been welcoming.

Banter yes but always good humoured and accompanied by a beer or three.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

michael scuffil wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:51 pm If you asked my opinion on a variety of social issues, you would probably be surprised at how reactionary they are, and I too have serious reservations about self-conscious diversity-mongers.

However, the most serious problem facing mainly Europe, but other parts of the world too, is nationalism, and in Britain, nationalism is becoming increasingly racist. Whether we like it or not (and for this reason I'm making no judgement) globalization is here to stay and that means peoples will become increasingly mixed, racially and culturally. We have 'diversity' in any case, without pushing it. It's a fact of life and we should make the best, not the worst, of it.

To say, however, that South Asian grooming gangs constitute an instance of 'diversity' is gross. Most sex-slave rackets in Britain are not run by Pakistanis, and some have been distinctly home-grown, witness the Krays' supply of young men to the likes of Tom Driberg and Lord Boothby. There are criminal gangs in all communities, and of course in closed communities it is easier for them to operate. But they are untypical. Most communities (and certainly the Pakistani community) are generally law-abiding. Drawing public attention to the ethnicity of the criminals serves no purpose other than to invite hostility towards their communities, and that is reprehensible.
As a general principle I completely agree with your highlighted statement.

Sadly though it is a matter of fact and record that rapes and sexual assaults on under age (mainly white working class) girls were not investigated and indeed suppressed for some years in many areas because the perpetrators were known to be of mainly Pakistani heritage and both police and local authorities did not want to be seen as racist. Rotherham and Rochdale are two examples of where this happened although there are others Oxford included.

In Rotherham the events came to light only, arguably, because the same local authority took a child away from its foster parents because one of the parents attended a UKIP public meeting. Shortly afterwards the magnitude of the industrial child abuse in the area became more widely known possibly because somebody 'in the know' was repulsed by the Council's double standards. https://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/08/rotten-borough/ and https://www.channel4.com/news/child-sex ... t-the-helm

The BBC, not known for its right wing approach, broadcast a moving 'docu drama' called 'Three Girls' a year or so ago showing the uphill struggle and fight working class girls and their social worker had to achieve justice in Rochdale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rgd5n

In the circumstances I have described, where justice has been denied for political reasons, in my view it is entirely right and proper to discuss the ethnicity of the perpetrators.

I would add that, whilst instinctively I am in the 'throw the key away' camp when it comes to the kind of childhood rape and sexual assault conducted by the 'males of mainly Pakistani heritage,' I regard the breach of trust towards the children supposedly in their care by sexually abusive Masters at boarding schools, of whatever ethnicity, as even more serious a betrayal and abuse.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

A question never asked is why are there so many children of Anglo origin either in social care or running wild in the streets? In many of these cases the parent appears to be single (nothing wrong with that as such) but often dysfunctional with drink or drug issues. What kind of parents are letting their kids (sometimes as young as eleven) out in the mean streets at all hours of the day and night? Doesn't this ask as many questions of our own culture as it does of the Asian people who prey on these children?
The unacceptable end of Muslim culture revolves around FGM and arranged marriages. But not all Muslim and Asian people are that extreme. Some may keep their youngsters in harness for a long time (especially the girls) by our standards but I suppose that this is an attempt to keep them safe. Some of our white parents go to opposite extremes and behave like louche, dysfunctional idiots in the cause of an irresponsible hedonism. It's hardly surprising that their children end up in trouble.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

FGM is not (generally) a Muslim practice. It is more widely performed in Christian Ethiopia and in traditional and/or Christian parts of West Africa.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:48 pm A question never asked is why are there so many children of Anglo origin either in social care or running wild in the streets? In many of these cases the parent appears to be single (nothing wrong with that as such) but often dysfunctional with drink or drug issues. What kind of parents are letting their kids (sometimes as young as eleven) out in the mean streets at all hours of the day and night? Doesn't this ask as many questions of our own culture as it does of the Asian people who prey on these children?
I would blame it on the breakdown of the family and local structure supported by changes in law and practice.
Back in the sixties with the rise in pop music, mods and rockers etc etc the young found out that they could thumb their noses at parents and took wide degrees of freedom.0 From that they don't know how to control their own kids. This is supported by strictures of the law - exactly what we are discussing in a different thread; parents would give their jids the strap, cane slipper IMMEDIATELY for any misdemeanour. A neighbour, seeing misbehavious would have little compunction about reporting to a parent. A peeler might well give the kid a clout over the ear - nobody dared argue with a police officer. No, , generally it was not sadism per se. Now if a kid does something wrong he/she has forgotten aboput it a year later when/if he comes up before the beak and gets a tap on the wrist.
Asians do have a stronger family and community control - a fact of life.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:38 pm FGM is not (generally) a Muslim practice. It is more widely performed in Christian Ethiopia and in traditional and/or Christian parts of West Africa.
....and should be severely punished.

Hopefully I might find out what a "Policeman" is soon. People where talking about them in my local this afternoon.

Apparently some of these people wear funny big hats and most of them are named Bobby.

Means absolutely nothing to me.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.