Wendy Fryer

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Florida Blue
2nd Former

Re: Wendy Fryer

Post by Florida Blue »

michael scuffil wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:34 am How many other CH masters married infirmary nurses? I can only think of one 'almost' example: Peter Brotherton called his marriage off at the last minute. An indecently late minute, in the view of many.

Tom Keeley married dietician Belinda.
William Philip Cathcart Davies ----------
He did his National Service with the RAF before joining Christ’s Hospital School in West Sussex, where he taught chemistry and biology and met Nancy, who was a nurse. She predeceased him.

Looks like there were quite a few. I thought that "Beaky" Davies was one of them so I looked at the current obits on CHOBA & sure enough there he was. I was in one of his chemistry classes when he first came to CH. His lab was upstairs in the old science block next to Matthews'. Davies, Fryer & T K Vivian were the three prominent Rugby playing members of staff in those days.
(Prep.B/MaB. 46-53)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I must admit that WPC Davies was my junior housemaster and I never realized his (very nice) wife had been a CH nurse.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

michael scuffil wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:34 am Tom Keeley married dietician Belinda.
*Snigger*..... DIETICIAN??????????????
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Fertii wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 pm
michael scuffil wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:34 am Tom Keeley married dietician Belinda.
*Snigger*..... DIETICIAN??????????????
Dietician in the same way that Jim Jones was a cocktail mixer.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I think she was a genuine dietician, with college qualifications and all that. The school employed three, I think, under one Miss Dawe.

Belinda went off to America for a year. One Saturday morning, THK appeared in class in a suit. It turned out he was off to Southampton to meet her.

Incidentally, the CHOBA obit of Beaky Davies is unreliable in at least one point. It says Nancy took thalidomide -- about three years before it was marketed in Britain. Although it quotes WPCD himself, even in 1955, 50 pounds seems remarkably little to pay a stand-in for 14 weeks. A teacher's salary in those days was about 14 pounds a week.
Th.B. 27 1955-63