What Steve Hilton is doing these days

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Ever Bluer
3rd Former

What Steve Hilton is doing these days

Post by Ever Bluer »

An update on the high-flying Steve Hilton (Maine A 1981-83, Lamb A 1983-86):

https://www.newsli.com/2018/11/01/steve ... o-america/
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: What Steve Hilton is doing these days

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for that, his politics aren’t mine!

When I read he’d gone to CH after graduating from High School, I assumed he’d entered after GCSE, but that doesn’t tie in with his dates. Financially he has obviously done well for himself, has he given any back? Has he remembered the Charge? These are genuine questions, I am not trying to do him down.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Nothing wrong in doing him down Katharine. He's played his part in promoting a referendum which is going to consign our country to third world status next March unless we can find a way of stopping the jump off the cliff before then. It's interesting the way that people like Hilton talk glibly about "the elite". Which elite? Hilton's fellow Brexiteers like public schoolboys Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg? Or public schoolboy and City dealer Nigel Farrago? Characters that resemble figures out of the pages of Brideshead Revisited. Or the pugnacious Arron Banks? Massively wealthy donor to Leave, with questions asked about his tax affairs. Men of the people? I think Hilton has his head up his backside.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Nice one Freaky !

I genuinely believe we are so very near a long awaited settlement within weeks.

Ireland it seems is the only stumbling block, allegedly. I was today speaking socially with people from both the North and South of Ireland. They all seemed to want a quick non religious settlement. Now that sounds somewhat familiar.

I suppose I must now await more accusations of racism and facism.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

You know I agree with you, Freaky.

It was a genuine question about donations to CH, some wealthy people are also philanthropists, some for tax reasons no doubt.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Ages ago I started a thread on the boy Hilto and pointed out his political changes of position over the years. Someone else posted to say that they thought he was a political chameleon. If there's money to be made from broadcasts, magazine articles, etc, he seems to sway with the prevailing wind. He manages to carry it off by being sufficiently vague in his language and sticking to generalisations. So no one can ever quite pin him down. Of course an old cynic like me would say that this is exactly the kind of devious sophistry they teach you at the English public school. What you say is less important than how you say it. Tony Blair (also public school) was a master at this. So here we all are guessing what Hilton (like Katy) will do next.
As for Brexit and Ireland, JR. I can't see how this can be resolved. If you have a soft border between the two bits of the island of Ireland you must inevitably surely have a hard border in the Irish sea. The EU, the UK government, the Republic of Ireland and the DUP are all pulling in different directions on this. In the end it may come down to Arlene Foster and her band of idiotic, bowler-hatted, flute-playing Orangemen shouting "No surrender!" I can't imagine who still supports them, with the possible exception of Sejintenej who I seem to remember was menaced by taig gangs in his youth.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:27 pm...menaced by taig gangs in his youth.
A dated and highly offensive term that’s beneath you. Just come out with that in the vicinity of the border you’re describing and see how far that gets you.

What is this site coming to?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I was using taig in a satirical manner to make a point. I'm not always politically correct and it doesn't worry me too much. As to taking sides, I'm broadly in sympathy with the Catholic cause from a civil rights perspective. I worked with a guy who'd experienced this from the other perspective. He and his Catholic family moved to Londonderry when he was about eight and he went wandering into another neighbourhood to explore. He was immediately surrounded by prod youngsters and when he told them the estate he came from they set about him.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

Possibly the brightest student I have come across in my teaching career. I never taught him (Vikki had that pleasure) but I remember regular discussions of revision topics with him in the History Library and he was way ahead of any imaginable curve.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Brightness and intellectual honesty do not always follow. The need to be clever clever and make a good living from it sometimes becomes too much of a temptation.
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

So just to clarify, it's now acceptable to use offensive and derogatory terms as long as we're being "satirical"? And doing so makes us "not politically correct" and definitely not "racist"? Hmmmm. I call bulls$^*! on that one.

JR, being pro-brexit doesn't make you a racist or facist. You're fine on that one.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
blueeyedboy
3rd Former

Post by blueeyedboy »

Ah yes, our old friend the liberal elite. Was accused of this by two friends recently, both with expensive private education, both from monied backgrounds. As the son of a subpostmaster and the first in the family to get to university I've been wondering: how could I have avoided becoming one of the despised elite? Not read books? Deliberately failed at school? Willfully sabotaged my career? Who would have benefitted? Well not me clearly, which makes me think that the folk who throw this term around in a carelessly abusive way are quite happy with things the way they are and that social mobility is the last thing they want. 'Bread and Circuses' as Juvenal said (there, that'll wind them up, I even paid attention in Latin too, how very elitist of me!). Delighted Mr Hilton is the brightest person Golfer taught and I very much look forward to him doing something more useful with it than pulling up the ladder behind him and dumbing down the population so they do as they are told. But then hey I'm the liberal elite and I would say that wouldn't I? Nothing like a good glass of Chateau Chasselas eh Josiah?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Yes, it's an interesting point Charlie that when Hilton was advisor to Cameron one of the first things that the Coalition government did was to devise £26 billion of cuts to public services that they all knew perfectly well was going to impact on the most vulnerable. So much for an education at Christ's Hospital.
blueeyedboy
3rd Former

Post by blueeyedboy »

Absolutely spot on Rockfreak. And what happened to the Social Mobility and Child Poverty Committee established by the 2010 Child Poverty Act? The last four board members resigned en bloc in December 2017 citing the Governments total inability to focus on Social Mobility in the aftermath of Brexit. And there it lies dead in the long grass. Pull that ladder up; just vile.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »