CH Non-Achievers at Cambridge,

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

CH Non-Achievers at Cambridge,

Post by John Saunders »

I suffered superannuation at CH after Deps. Not suitable for further education. However after a stint at another school where I was allowed to take A Levels including English which was banned at Housey as too easy, I managed a place at Cambridge. To my surprise there were at least 2 other Old Blues who had suffered the early push including Scott -Taggart 0ne of 3 brothers? and Harry Ellis Th.A who was in St Johns with me. Other Old Blues at the time were Ian Coward and Billy Steel. Was this a common post Housey phenomenon?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: CH Non-Achievers at Cambridge,

Post by michael scuffil »

But Steel and Coward (successive house captains of ThB and both mathematicians) were not given an early push from CH...

I imagine the most famous early-pushee who went on to enjoy if not an academic, but an intellectual career was Bernard Levin (who didn't go to Cambridge, though, but to LSE).

Someone who was never a button grecian and left after A Level, but got into Cambridge, got a first, and then became a university lecturer there and fellow of Fitzwilliam College, was Dick Hardy (MidA). Unfortunately he died quite young (late 40s). He used to drive a Gordon Keble. (About 20 years after he died, I was waiting for a ferry at Hook of Holland when about 20 Gordon Kebles drove up. They'd been to a rally. Most of the drivers knew Dick. The Hon. Sec. said: Ah, yes. His car's in Australia now.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Phil
3rd Former

Re: CH Non-Achievers at Cambridge,

Post by Phil »

I remember Hardy, who was excused participation in all physical activities. Since ‘Uncle’ Kirby affectionately nicknamed him ‘Hard hearted Hardy,’ I presume that he suffered from rheumatic heart disease, or something similar. Hence it’s not surprising to hear of his early demise. He was a most pleasant bloke and I’m very happy to hear that his post CH career was so successful.