The C.H. Education Fund

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I agree with the point mentioned.

Whiteboard does not equal good teaching - what it DOES do is enhance lessons, but only when used properly.
More visual use of online training aids etc. etc. can help a teacher get their message remembered, more so that chalk-and-talk.
Also, bear in mind that this can encourage this generation of kids to blur the lines between games and learning.....

When RM Maths was tested by our staff on their kids, the kids were quoted as saying "can we play the maths game again tonight"....shows how a change in teaching style can benefit?? I'm not trying to sell RM, more the principle of engaging teaching, which can be done with or without technology helping out....
Bear in mind too that there is now a multitude of on-line resources and lesson plans to help teachers create good lessons - surely this community-based sharing of good lessons has to help teachers to teach better??

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

fair point about the maths 'games' like logicator, logo etc. i suppose they do help take the edge off otherwise unbearable topics. are these boards really game-like though?
agreed, when i first used maths games they were a novelty because the vast majority of kids didn't have access to digital anything, let alone PCs. but now nearly every child has a PC they can use at home, maths games (etc) have lost their touch, whereas even 10 years ago they were positively entertainment.

at CH nearly every whiteboard (especially shared classrooms) got ruined by teachers merely using the wrong type of pen, and further ruined by cleaners using industrial strength chemicals to try and get rid of the stains left by the pens
i dread to think what would happen to £2,500 of delicate digital whiteboard.....*cringe* .....*shudder*.....

engaging teaching methods, definitely. NQTs are usually full of engaging teaching methods as they've just been pumped full of training and enthusiasm, then as time goes by the majority just can't be arsed anymore. i wish technology was the answer. i wish it was that easy.