Grecians' Houses....look great..

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Grecians' Houses....look great..

Post by jtaylor »

I was down at CH yesterday, and Tamas (the current Senior Grecian) was kind enough to give me a guided tour of some of the areas of the school that have changed - my first chance to visit the new Grecians Houses.

Having heard the negatives on here about build quality etc. (I'm an obviously not a structural engineer, but they did seem to be standing up quite well to the pupils!) I was most impressed with them.

The airy "day room" equivalent, with lots of light, and the structure of the building with the pods off a central area seemed great - kept the house-groupings, as each houses' Grecians are in one pod, whilst intergrating with the rest of the yeargroup.

The sections are all swipe-carded, so theft is reduced to a minimum (a real problem in my time at CH), and there was certainly more of a communal feel to the buildings. And obviously no 11 year olds running around the place shouting and doing what 11 year olds do!!

What do current Grecians think? On-balance good??

I know "it wasn't the same in my day" can be a prevailing attitude of Old Blues, but I know which I'd have prefered to live in!

I'm hoping to post a couple of pictures of the inside day-room area if I get a chance, as I haven't seen any published anywhere?

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

You obviously didn't see the many cracks in the buildings then Julian! LOL

I know I would have disliked them - but not for the comforts but having to live with my year. Generally, my year didn't get on!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

they have the same bathroom door handles as my hall at uni!
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

I was in the second year to have them (the first full year) and I loved living in them! Sure I had friends in other years but we had plenty time to hang out, and I also found it was a great chance to get to know people in my year. It was way more relaxed, something I really valued and needed.

Not structurally great, but pretty much alright!
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

I was down at CH yesterday
So they let you in then, did they? Did you get any bullets whistling past your ears, you loose cannon, you? :wink:
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I slipped-in under the wire, with an appointment.........
Security is certainly much tighter now, which I guess they have to be.
Electronic swipe-cards on a lot of doors, and I was under strict instructions not to enter any building without my host!

Was good to see the place again then - it's been a long time since I had a chance to see the place.

I guess it's trespass these days if you visit without permission.
Something we'll be looking at with the CHA is the process for visiting, as Old Blues should be able to visit the school they're helping to fund/support!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy »

Grecians was my best year since the LE. I think the Gr houses are great except the insane amount of windows. If you're sitting on a sofa in the dayroom, you can be seen from at least 10 different windows inside.

Other than that, no complaints at all. Oh, and going into girls pods at night is blooody easy. :wink:
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Chammy wrote: Other than that, no complaints at all. Oh, and going into girls pods at night is blooody easy. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

As promised, some photos (click on each for a bigger version).

ImageImage
ImageImage

I particularly like the decking area outside with BBQs etc, giving a decent area for house-based entertainment etc.

Whilst they may have been expensive, I'd certainly say that they are a dramatic improvement in the living conditions for the Grecians.....wish I could go back!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

jtaylor wrote:
I'd certainly say that they are a dramatic improvement in the living conditions for the Grecians.....wish I could go back!
I'd agree with that - doesn't compare to what we had and I know the boys were worse off than us as our houses had just been done up for 1985.