Moving houses at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

paddster
2nd Former

Sixth form

Post by paddster »

Well i finished sixth form, dropped out of computer science and now i'm studying mechanical engineering at Hull Uni. What ever happened to Charles Cragie?
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

does security stuff now but think he's startin uni in september. dunno
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

the stereotypes that were thrown around as i can remember them:

peele a - EVEN weirder than peele b. rugby cricket (bosh)
thorn a - army. violent(ish). lack of any real identity tho.
mid a - wanted to be black. violent(ish). drum major. sports. dobby
mid b - wannabe geeks. crap at sport, CRAP.
lamb a - violent. not bad at sports (rugby, football or basketball). 'hip-hop-house'.
maine a - uber-geeks, better at sport than midb (tho only fives, really). scouts. dr stuart, mmmkay.

n.b. stereotypes. just that :)
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

I never moved to another boarding house (as you can see from my signature)! The "all-through" house system spoilt my chances of experiencing life in any of the other houses. (Well I could have gone to Grecians West but I left at the end of my Deps).
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

I left a year early to "cut corners" due to the fact that the Music Technology courses (Diploma and Degree) that I wanted to do would take 5 years altogether (I could have started the Diploma immediately after GCSEs). Although I was still interested in the other subjects that I would have continued to study, I wanted to concentrate solely on Music Technology. In a way it would have been nice to have stayed for the final year at CH, although I have no regrets leaving. I did hear a highly amusing rumour that Tom Richardson believed that he was the cause of my leaving because we didn't get along too well! Some people just love themselves too much!
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

Hendrik wrote:sutcliffe left in july 98 to go and run a retirement home in the westcountry. after that it's anyone's guess.
Not sure how I found it... but recently, I found him here as part of a collective that "unites leading trainers in critical thinking and creative dialogue".
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

FrogBoxed wrote:
Hendrik wrote:sutcliffe left in july 98 to go and run a retirement home in the westcountry. after that it's anyone's guess.
Not sure how I found it... but recently, I found him here as part of a collective that "unites leading trainers in critical thinking and creative dialogue".
They sold the retirement home and now he concentrates on that
menace
3rd Former

My G, you went to school on another planet

Post by menace »

I'm an old f**** listening in on this series of memory lane nostalgia that I find really baffling. I go back so far that one only went to one House for one's school career. Everything was "common" - individual studies only for the House Captain and his Deputy. Grecians' privileges (apart from the clumsy uniform) consisted of a separate path into Hall and the right to ride a bicycle. I left in the end of the Xmas Term because I did not want to spend my last two terms as an unpaid teaching assistant. Also - no girls, no booze etc etc. Am still not sure whether the changes are imrovements or not though?
marty
Grecian

Re: My G, you went to school on another planet

Post by marty »

menace wrote:I'm an old f**** listening in on this series of memory lane nostalgia that I find really baffling. I go back so far that one only went to one House for one's school career. Everything was "common" - individual studies only for the House Captain and his Deputy. Grecians' privileges (apart from the clumsy uniform) consisted of a separate path into Hall and the right to ride a bicycle.
I wouldn't worry Menace...I left almost 10 years ago and on my last visit the place was VERY different. I'm sure if you were to speak to those who were at CH 40 years before you ( they're all pushing up the daisies now aren't they ?!) they would have told you it was completely different too ! The school appears to have now moved out of the dark ages - it took some time but it's evolved! The question is do you think it's all for the better ? On my last visit (a year ago) I was quite jealous at how luxurious the boarding houses are. It's all carpet & curtains, separate common rooms, large TVs, computers, games consoles - the place is like a holiday camp. My only complaint is why wasn't all this stuff given to us !! On the other side the pupils now appear to be a bit more scruffy and less inclined to wear the uniform which I felt was a bit of shame but there you go....
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: My G, you went to school on another planet

Post by sejintenej »

menace wrote:I'm an old f**** listening in on this series of memory lane nostalgia that I find really baffling. I go back so far that one only went to one House for one's school career. Everything was "common" - individual studies only for the House Captain and his Deputy. Grecians' privileges (apart from the clumsy uniform) consisted of a separate path into Hall and the right to ride a bicycle. I left in the end of the Xmas Term because I did not want to spend my last two terms as an unpaid teaching assistant. Also - no girls, no booze etc etc. Am still not sure whether the changes are imrovements or not though?
I even remember your name - what did you do wrong? :wink:

I was given the invitation to crew on the Georg Staag - the Danish Navy's sail training vessel for the International Tall Ships Race but because it started 2 days before term end I was not allowed to leave by the school.

The next year (1960?) 2 of us got the D of E gold and also Queens Scout award; there was a lot of delay beforew the school eventually agreed that Peter Hildrew (Th. B) and I could accept the summons to Buck House.

Then, in my last year I got a job which absolutely required me leaving school 4 days early; even the masters thought I was being expelled! I got my bible in Seaman's study; he wouldn't even say goodbye or good luck.

Bitter taste
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Hendrik wrote: house bull-dog on the grass out the back of house (no longer possible as it's been tarmaced for car-parking :evil: ).
Not on tarmac?

No bicycle polo on the tarmac behind Col A? Now that was bl**dy - as the colour of the "tarmac" would testify and of course it kept getting more and more slippery. (Banned but overlooked unless you destroyed too many pairs of socks)

Sliding on the ice between houses? Again, potentially nasty - I still have back problems and Mid B wall used to receive a few crunches

Fives - with no gloves. That was a man's sport.
menace
3rd Former

Reply to David Brown

Post by menace »

David, I did nothing wrong - I simply decided after getting my scholarship in Dec 59 that I would not go back to the school. Sent a letter to Seaman and then made a trip on my own to return the uniform etc and get my Bible from him in his study. He did at least wish me well, but he knew me very well as I read Classics and was one of his grecians (Macnutt was the main teacher but Seaman took a class each week). I also was the "hand" that wrote the names in the Bibles, so it was no problem getting it ready for presentation. Never regretted the move for one second (except perhaps for cricket). Sorry to hear he was such a p**** to you.
Jolyon
GE (Great Erasmus)

Bulldog

Post by Jolyon »

Playing behind Maine B. oh yes. Lucky right next to the sicker in a few peoples cases.

Anyone remember the mamoth games of Bulldog inside the athletic tracks in the summers of 90 and 91. I was a squit trying to take down First XV players! How did I not get seriously hurt?

J
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Anyone remember the mamoth games of Bulldog inside the athletic tracks in the summers of 90 and 91. I was a squit trying to take down First XV players! How did I not get seriously hurt?
You didn't get seriously hurt because you were fit; your muscles etc. could take the strain / bumps. You either broke a bone or were OK - nothing much in between

Did you have competitive track events - had to pass standards? What happened all too often was that hurdles would be put up back to front so that they wouldn't fall if hit; many of us got face /hands / legs full of cinders.
Also, sand behind the high jump. I was effectively blinded in one eye for 2 weeks when a face full scratched the eyeball. Medical assistance - you must be joking. Nothing visible, no temperature so not permitted to see the doctor.

Both cases were accidents