Moving houses at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Grecian's houses were a bit kind of a stupid idea - I got out in 99 so I never had to have them but I wouldn't have liked them - from what I can gather they are a glorified doss house these days...

(can I say that, my Dad is still a teacher...)
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

i was dubious until i went to GrW. doss-house it is not. well, no more than any other boarding house. so yeah i suppose it is in a way.
the build quality is shabby though, more cut corners than a pack of rizla green.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I couldn't have gone to a Grecian's house - my year couldn't have gone to a Grecian's house - it would have killed us all!
paddy
3rd Former

Houses in Motion

Post by paddy »

Don't think that messing about with houses is anything new.

My last couple of years at CH were slightly confused (and enormously enriched!) by the fact that the merger with the girls school at Hertford was on the horizon.

A far as I remember, and I can't remember the details - it was necessary to juggle the houses around a bit, and instead of having 2 houses on my CH "cv", one junior and one senior, I have 3: Barnes A for junior, then Lamb B and Maine A for senior. I think that's right. It's been a while...

I'm sure that the "flavour" of houses changes over a number of years, and especially with new housemasters moving in.

In my time, I remember that Peele B (senior house) has a terrible reputation for being rather cruel, bohemian in a dodgy way, and not somewhere you'd want to hang around if you were a junior (Grecians hanging out of top floor windows shouting out "Come here, little boy").

I begged my junior house master not to be put into Peele B, and he told me that I was just the kind of boy they wanted to put there, to "civilize" it. Which is obviously a compliment (in retrospect) but at the time I was absolutely terrifled! Anyway - I ended up in another, nicely bohemian house, so, phew!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

When I was a junior, we had only 4 junior houses:

Maine B - the house I was in, so v. biased... the best
Lamb B: - the house full of sporty types really and skaters!
Thornton B: With all due respect to those inb this house, dropouts!
Peele B: They were so far away from anyone else that they started their own culture - you could tell if someone had been in Peele B on their juniors if they were a Grecian!
jon95
2nd Former

Post by jon95 »

hehe, bulldog on the grass outside maine B- Now there is a memory. We use to play that back in 1990. Good laugh.

House loyalty was a ll relative anyway. It really depended on which house your mate were in.
Andy Friend
3rd Former

Post by Andy Friend »

Yeah, he taught us some very starnge philosophy lectures on our squits. It was all good fun though!
srcudlipp wrote:
Hendrik wrote:
srcudlipp wrote: I liked him - very odd, but very fair - only thing wound me up was the way he used to spin his head around in circles when he was talking - oh, and his ability to run and run and run.......(especially when chasing smokers :( )
a problem i never had as a second and third form. few teachers bother baiting smokers anymore anyway. he used to run and run when taking us on steeplechase. ugh. and ugh again.

head rotations. had totally forgotten about that. his obsession with philosophy. his strange drone.
And his annoying humming!

Did he still have that weird medieval painting in his study - the one with all the villagers running round with strange u-shaped hard-ons? Difficult to keep a straight face when he was bollocking you, and you caught sight of that on the wall :roll:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Harry Stotlemeir.... those where the days...
Andy Friend wrote:Yeah, he taught us some very starnge philosophy lectures on our squits. It was all good fun though!
srcudlipp wrote:
Hendrik wrote: a problem i never had as a second and third form. few teachers bother baiting smokers anymore anyway. he used to run and run when taking us on steeplechase. ugh. and ugh again.

head rotations. had totally forgotten about that. his obsession with philosophy. his strange drone.
And his annoying humming!

Did he still have that weird medieval painting in his study - the one with all the villagers running round with strange u-shaped hard-ons? Difficult to keep a straight face when he was bollocking you, and you caught sight of that on the wall :roll:
Andy Friend
3rd Former

Post by Andy Friend »

I agree - can't think of anything worse!
Great Plum wrote:I couldn't have gone to a Grecian's house - my year couldn't have gone to a Grecian's house - it would have killed us all!
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Great Plum wrote:When I was a junior, we had only 4 junior houses:

Maine B - the house I was in, so v. biased... the best
Lamb B: - the house full of sporty types really and skaters!
Thornton B: With all due respect to those inb this house, dropouts!
Peele B: They were so far away from anyone else that they started their own culture - you could tell if someone had been in Peele B on their juniors if they were a Grecian!
maine b. nah, not biased. just an honest appraisal of the best house.

lamb b - rather strange, not that sporty when i knew it. famous for its violence, lack of intelligence (a few notable exceptions), smell (due to certain 'fishy' competitions in lav-ends?), crazy slang, outdated traditions (hangover from the shippy days?), and skating. my year in lamb seemed to be kick-ass at swimming.

thorn b - there seemed to be some kind of alliance with us by default; we were the only two even vaguely normal ones. and didn't smell too odd. good at running (as they would tell you at length). like maine b at the time, had two casts in its year group: the cool and the outcasts (though the 'outcasts' actually outnumbered the 'cool' crew LMFAO).

peele b - true what you said, and i think it always will be. very strange smell. gladding was THE most laid back housemaster of the four.
Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy »

aye, peele b was a long way away from civilisation, but i wouldnt have wanted to be in any other house, gladding and howey are true legends.
paddster
2nd Former

Howey

Post by paddster »

howey was a complete legend, does anybody remember his prodigal son song in chapel? i think holdsworth was pretty funny as well, "just grow up!" was his best phrase.
Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy »

the song i remember howey performing the most was his time song: 'how do you use your time? abuse it, lose it'....a true classic! what a man!

i also remember when he first became peele b's housemaster in 2000, and he gave everyone a sheet at the end of his first term, one of the questions being 'how many McDonalds meals do you think you are owed?'....and he bought them all!!! a couple of people even put down 5/6 meals, and got them! the house funds were gone by the next term obviously.

would paddster be paddy duncan?
paddster
2nd Former

Paddster

Post by paddster »

Paddster would indeed be short for Paddy Duncan.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

paddy! hey dude, what happened when you left CH? sixth form?
Hendrik