What was the Original Ground-Floor Layout of Houseblocks?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

What was the Original Ground-Floor Layout of Houseblocks?

Post by Spoonbill »

When I started at the Chrit's Hospittle Skool, the extensions had already been built containing quiet room, changing rooms and WCs. The rear of the original part of the ground floor was now studies and brew-room + boot room. But what was the earlier layout?

I know that the boot room was originally the shower room (a cold metal trench with cold-water shower-heads above), but I'm clueless about the rest of the ground floor apart from the dayroom etc. Where were the house WCs? What changing-room facilities were there? Etc., etc.,etc.
Last edited by Spoonbill on Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

OK - I'll give it a go!

Outside the dayroom door was a corridor with noticeboards etc. On the wall opposite was the door to the changing rooms with an open passage leading (in the 'A' houses) down the right hand side. The first (and largest) of these rooms was the senior changing room with benches around the walls and a wierd climbing frame thingy of hooks and rails.

Next came the wash room (what was it called?). On the left hand side looking in were about half a dozen wash basins, on the wall opposite a window, and running down the full length of the right hand side, the trough. This was not metal, Spoonbill, but tiled in those russett glazed Housey tiles that can still be seen in places. The outer edge of the trough (which was about 18" deep) was capped with a wooden rail - beware splinters in the bum! - and overhead 4 enormous shower heads which I cannot remember ever being used.

Then came the Junior changing room again with benches and I think, maybe lockers - tho I cannot be sure. Next the boot room with racks for the Housey shoes, plimsolls and rugger boots - massive ancestral boots quite unlike those used by my children today. Presumably also the jigger (polish) and shoe brushes were also kept here and I can remember shoe inspection held here every evening after shoe-cleaning.

Opposite, the boot room were the fire escape stairs to the dormitories above and a small room which, in Middleton A, was used as a dark room.

At this point, there was a back door leading to an open corridor between the house and the bogs behind. There was in my day, no masters' accommodation here and what is now a small quad behind the houses was then plain asphalt.

The bogs were primitive! Four cubicles (two at each end) partly closed by a small unlockable door and a line of fearsome black urinals stretching the length of the back wall. If one was really brave, there were further bogs outside - these, as I remember, were placed over a single trench and being without an exterior door or roof(?) were rather exposed to the elements. In cold weather the flushing mechanism invariably froze. These 'outer' bogs were rarely used.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Many thanks, Uncle Dave. Not sure whether to shudder at the thought of the primitive khasis or to regret that I missed them. (Speaking as someone who was appalled to learn of the demolition of the renowned Car Park/Art School Bogs, I suppose I should be in tears really.) The Revd. John Robson told me about the alleged 'metal trough' showers - but then, I guess it was the job of the Chaplains to tell us a load of misleading cobblers.

As regards my own feelings re. the more austere era of CH which pre-dated myself: I'm probably not alone in (a) being glad to have missed it (PE on the lawn during morning break, anyone?) and simultaneously (b) considering that today's CH pupils have it too cushy by half compared with how raw things were in the 70s. Girls not sleeping in big dorms....Being able to wear civvies....Disgraceful. Do they even still have plank beds?
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Morning PT on the asphalt behind the houses - not on the lawns. Flip flaps press-ups, X jumps , etc all done whatever the weather in shorts and shirt (then all supplied by the school.)

No alas! the old bed boards have all gone, I think. Jonathan sleeps on a pretty standard bed with dodgy springs!

Spoonbill, do you really come from Launceston? If so, why are you not on my list of Cornish OBs - I am supposed to be your local co-ordinater!!
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

HOUSE LAYOUT

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

DavebytheSea's memory, considering his age, is pretty good. However, I believe that he has omitted one room. Starting from the showers and working towards the toilets, there was a junior changing room (as Davebythe Sea says), without any lockers, just a row of pegs down either side and two benches, and then there was another changing room for those of medium seniority, before coming to the bootroom.
Other than that I agree with Davebythe Sea completely.

One thing I recall with great clarity is that the outflow from the footbath was controlled not by a plug but by a metal tube whose height enabled it to serve also as an emergency overflow - fiendish!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I remember in Discovery lessons we were given plans of the boarding houses c. 1902 - surely someone must still have them...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

What's all this "considering his age, nonsense", David. As I recall, we were in the same class!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

You have an excellent memory, Dave by the Sea.....

I believe the two masters studies remain today, much as they were in our day.

Oh, the memories of N.T. Fryer moving the furniture in his, so he could get a better swing at my rear end with the dreaded cane !

Ar ! The good old days !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Dave, I'm guessing I'm not on your list because I've never subscribed to The Blue, never been a member of the Club, never been back to CH, etc., etc. In short, I've long disappeared from the school's ken (and hardly surprisingly was never notified of the existence of Who's Blue?). That's pretty much how I intended it. Trouble is, a web forum like this is confoundedly tempting...even if all one does is post irritating threads.

No plank beds any more? Why don't they just close the place down altogether? (And as for suffering Bluecoat Pond Road to be built....)
MJGibson
2nd Former

Ground floor plans

Post by MJGibson »

Being of Barnes B ilk, I can agree with most of what has been detailed, However on small items the trough was certainly not metal and our showers certainly delivered hot water. The bogs extension in Ba.B were very civilised and modern with closing doors - vastly superior to those immediately behind the block. No extensions in my day(36-43)_Weused to do mid morning PT between and behind the houses, also we used to play asphalt cricket there as well. As to the front lawn during the war I used to keep it mown by hand mower as there was no petrol for the motor mowers. I didnt look too favourably on anyone who wanted to use it for other purposes, It still looks in good shape. The day room and seior monitors rooms are still much the same perhaps different in detail as are the housemasters rooms (now used by monitors I believe) I think the dayroom fireplace hs gone- memories of end of term chestnut roasting also the old dayroom clock with all the signatures of past winders. Now it is all girls territory!
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

When I turned up in Barnes B in 65 I seem to remember initials burnt into the study door (up market grafitti) including a neatly burnt "CMES" which we all found entertaining as Clarence Milton Edward Seaman was also our esteemed head.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

AKAP wrote:When I turned up in Barnes B in 65 I seem to remember initials burnt into the study door (up market grafitti) including a neatly burnt "CMES" which we all found entertaining as Clarence Milton Edward Seaman was also our esteemed head.
He always reminded me of a bird of prey as he stalked the quad, gown flapping, hooked nose.

Seem to remember, he nearly always had a pipe on the go.

Not very PC in this day and age, even though I smoke !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Does anyone else remember ashphelt cricket? my grandfather was always amazed that with all that grass we ended up playing on ashphelt, much more exciting version of cricket than the proper stuff, perhaps it should have become an international competion or olympic sport.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Great game! Fast and furious; a cut down bat and a dustbin for a wicket; one bowler each end; tip and run; super!!
JackD
2nd Former

Post by JackD »

DbtS came to Mid A after I left in 1948 but in my day the shower heads over the tiled trough worked and were used, although wartime energy conservation measures meant that only those getting there first had any warm water.
Asphalt cricket was very popular as was asphalt hockey sometimes played on roller skates and both sports used old tennis balls with the felt usually completely worn off. We wore Housey shoes because leather was obtainable but rubber not.
I remember the whole time with affection and heartfelt thanks for the education and preparation for life.