Would Your Schoolmates Still Recognise You?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Would Your Schoolmates Still Recognise You?

Post by Spoonbill »

I was very struck by Dick Ruck's comments on the Who Else Has Never Been Back to CH? thread, regarding his recent Horsham sighting of the deservedly famous Alan Baber (who, with the equally celebrated Steve Blohm, earned LHA its enduring 1970s image).

Dick said how strange it was to see someone one hadn't laid eyes on for 25 years; he also said he didn't say hello to AB because he hadn't really known him at school. It occurs to me that if I saw someone who looked a lot like someone I'd been at school with, I'd automatically assume it wasn't them. I mean, the initial flash of recognition would relate to how the person used to look a quarter of a century ago - and heaven knows, there's no rock-solid reason to assume they'd look the same today. (Whenever I see that winker The Revd. Peter Owen-Jones on TV, striding around in his Tom-Baker-as-Doctor-Who get-up, I automatically think of Iain Harris [Ba.B./Col.A] because the resemblance is very strong.....But is it Iain Harris? Probably not....)

My point is, do we reckon we'd still be recognisable to our old schoolmates today? Do you still look like your old self? Has anyone ever instantly recognised you on a tube train or at Old Blues' Day? Has anyone ever said 'God you're a fat git these days, I'd never have known you!' ?

I'm a classic example, me. Used to be disturbingly skinny but now I'm a blimp. Hands up who recognises me?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ ... ltoday.jpg

C'mon, let's have a show of photos. Show us the full horror of how you've changed or not.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Well, I did go to a Newgate Club drinking session about 3 years ago, and I was recognised by a few people I hadn't seen for years and years (I recognised most of them, too).

I am, of course, larger than I was in, say, 1978, but still recognisable, I think.

I don't have any photos in digital form which show how I look today, but maybe I'll see what I can do.

By the way, there have been several sightings of A.B., so I'm quite sure.
Or, possibly, there is a hitherto unknown doppelganger wandering about the place.

You're right, though - seeing someone 'out of context' after a long time can lead to mistakes.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

35 years on

Post by englishangel »

I have my piccy as my icon. Perhaps Euterpe could let me know.

I don't think I have changed much, and certanly when I met someone from FRU at Liverpool Street (remember that girls?) we had no trouble recognising each other.

There is a better pic of me on FRU.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Well there's a funny thing!

Spoonbill and Englishangel both come from Amersham!

Back to the topic: people who've seen photos of me as a youngster say that I've hardly changed but they are probably being polite!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

I can confirm that Richard still looks like Richard! Saw him and many others at the 2004 OBs Day and I thought the majority were instantly recognisable.

But, Spoonbill, I do remember Iain Harris, but I have to admit I don't recognise you!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

recognition

Post by englishangel »

Spoonbill and I have been very rude to each other in another section of the forum. I don't think we will be getting together.

Thinking about it, I may know him. I have met a couple of OBs at work.

Have just checked his profile. One who I know is Andrew, and the other I met 10 years ago and cannot remember his name. But he is certainly older than 3.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

You know what they say about Love and Hate.... :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

recognising

Post by englishangel »

:oops:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Well people should still recognise me - I only left in 1999...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Recognition

Post by englishangel »

Great Plum wrote:Well people should still recognise me - I only left in 1999...
Wot no plastic surgery yet?

:shock:
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Re: 35 years on

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:I have my piccy as my icon. Perhaps Euterpe could let me know.

Actually, not sure I would have recognised you - you look an awful lot better now that in pinafore days ( you used to look a lot geekier - midwifery obviously agrees with you ...) ! Haven't seen the FRU pic - should I be brave/ brainless & put one of mine on here ?

Perhaps not - and as to the thread subject : have been recognised by bods I hadn't seen for about 30 years, so...
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: 35 years on

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:
englishangel wrote:I have my piccy as my icon. Perhaps Euterpe could let me know.

Actually, not sure I would have recognised you - you look an awful lot better now that in pinafore days ( you used to look a lot geekier - midwifery obviously agrees with you ...) ! Haven't seen the FRU pic - should I be brave/ brainless & put one of mine on here ?

Perhaps not - and as to the thread subject : have been recognised by bods I hadn't seen for about 30 years, so...
I shold think everyone looks better than in pinafore days, it would be difficult not to.

For those who don't know, at Hertford we wore blue cotton pinafores over our regular uniform for meals, cleaning etc. until year 11 (GE I think). This gave rise to the rumour in Hertford that CH was a place for unmarried mothers. In Year 11 we made ourselves a black apron which we were 'awarded sometime suring that year, then sometime during Sixth form the black apron was changed to a green one. (Monitress, ? equivalent to a button Grecian, I am guessing here)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sport! wrote:I can confirm that Richard still looks like Richard! Saw him and many others at the 2004 OBs Day and I thought the majority were instantly recognisable.

But, Spoonbill, I do remember Iain Harris, but I have to admit I don't recognise you!
The only reason Richard R. was recognised at the Newgate boooze-up was because he was in his usual position.

PARALYTIC ON THE FLOOR !! :oops:

After 40 years away from school on my last House re-union, nobody looked the same. It was only after introductions, I could see the slight resemblance to youth !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Crikey Spoonbill that's a corker of a shot of you!

Were you as pretty as that when at school?

Did you have those girls at Highsham Wh*reschool chasing after you?

Interesting you mention Ian Harris

In my diary written aged 11 in Barnes B (about 1969-70), he had a terrific fight which no-one emerged victorious from but he was bleeding dramatically.

I have (somewhere in my cellar) loads of CH photos taken between 1969-1977 but do not know how to post them

I could scan them onto the computer but no idea how to put 'em on this site.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote: PARALYTIC ON THE FLOOR !! :oops:
Slumped at a table, if you must know.....!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?