How did you get in trouble?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Sergiu Panaite
3rd Former

How did you get in trouble?

Post by Sergiu Panaite »

That is, if you want to say it. I'm sure there are very interesting stories to be heard, so sorry to start with one of the most boring.
I was probably one of the least-troublesome people in my year (read: boring, maybe), yet I (and four other people) somehow got accused of hacking the Head's email account, and not only. All this because we ran a network cable from a study to the hub/switch downstairs - it was in the stairs running down to the tube. We did it for Internet access and to be able to check our email. The SMT thought otherwise though and we then got sent home for a few days "to reflect on what we had done" - how does that work, exactly? I'll openly admit that I wasn't the greatest fan of the change of deputy heads that occurred when I was there, I just couldn't seem to make them understand what had actually happened. And they'll probably read this and wait for the next time I visit the school now :roll:
Serg
LaB '97-'98, MaA '98-'99, MaB '99-'01, GrE '01-'02 - confused?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I was a good boy...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
ludwig van
2nd Former

Post by ludwig van »

I've only had one dt so far - and that was from IBH, for oversleeping!!
Happy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Happy »

lol. The contrary CH legal system. In the absence of evidence, concoct the worst scenario possible and demand hard evidence for rebuttal. This has been going on for years.

Maybe this is how some people feel children should be raised? Perhaps they should take some hints from Super Nanny on ITV.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I had but one house drill in my time...

Be good on your juniors - you can get away with things on your seniors...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
srcudlipp
3rd Former

Post by srcudlipp »

Happy wrote:lol. The contrary CH legal system. In the absence of evidence, concoct the worst scenario possible and demand hard evidence for rebuttal. This has been going on for years.

Maybe this is how some people feel children should be raised? Perhaps they should take some hints from Super Nanny on ITV.
You mean make them sit on the naughty step?
If they'd done that in my time at CH I'd have spent half my life sitting on stairs :twisted:
Mid B / A 1984 - 1989
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Well, where shall I start.....?

Various drills for things like not making my bed on time, being late for breakfast etc.

Various detentions for accumulation of drills, unsatisfactory work, etc.

Various fines for being caught smoking.

As a Dep., a term on Headmaster's Report, for unsatisfactory work.

Caned by housemaster (at the same time as another member of this forum was being caned by his) for lobbing a few pebbles at the statue in the Quad.

Caned by headmaster (along with same member of this forum) for drinking down the Tube.

And finally......

Suspended for a week for lowering breeches and mooning a bit on the way back from a rugby match (other forum member not involved this time).

This last punishment was described afterwards by my housemaster as "a complete overreaction" on the part of the headmaster.

Apart from the last two, most of this stuff happened when I was a Dep., a troublesome year for some adolescents.........

Otherwise I was quite good, really.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

RR wrote: Caned by headmaster (along with same member of this forum) for drinking down the Tube.

I think there was a little more to that story than was evident in the post - and good old Toad - I was still pissed when he caned me (if its the time I'm thinking of) and as a result it was all a bit of a laugh.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rory wrote:RR wrote: Caned by headmaster (along with same member of this forum) for drinking down the Tube.

I think there was a little more to that story than was evident in the post - and good old Toad - I was still pissed when he caned me (if its the time I'm thinking of) and as a result it was all a bit of a laugh.
True, but I think I related the story in more detail somewhere else on the forum.

Toad certainly got a good few thrashings in that night - it was, as you say, a bit of a laugh.

I think that was the first of only three visits I ever made to his study - once to get thrashed, once to get the chit to get my buttons, and once to get suspended.

I do remember that he had an extensive collection of canes. Do you suppose he practised in his spare time?

Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

A truly wonderful collection - in a cabinet on the wall on the right as you went in. He let me select his weapon - if you pardon the expression - there were about 5 or 6 - I think. I'm sure that others may have better memories than me - I only had the privilege once from him - and as my brother taught me - I duly thanked him afterwards for a thoroughly good thrashing.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rory wrote:A truly wonderful collection - in a cabinet on the wall on the right as you went in. He let me select his weapon - if you pardon the expression - there were about 5 or 6 - I think. I'm sure that others may have better memories than me - I only had the privilege once from him - and as my brother taught me - I duly thanked him afterwards for a thoroughly good thrashing.
He let you choose???

Perhaps he'd broken a few before he got to you.......

They were on the right, though. 10/10 for remembering that.

It's surprising how polite we could be as pupils.

"Thank-you very much, sir, for carrying out a physical assault on my arse."

Nowadays you could say "Lay one finger on me and I'll call the police, sir" or "Touch me and I'll be obliged to deck you, sir".

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

At the end of term before the Heacham trip.

Phil Wey (?) and I were both buglers, and were taking bugles home so we could meet up on the train in London for the trip.

Remember, that breakfast was early on the last day, so that the boys could make the train home.

Seem to remeber the school bell was rung on this day at around 6:45.

Phil and I decided to play Reveille at full-tilt approx. 2 minutes before the school bell awoke everyone.

R.A. Hewitt (O.K. Hewitt), deputy housemaster took deep exception to being awoken in this manner, and whilst the rest of the school were making their way into the dining hall, dressed himself and marched Phil and I into N.T. (Bogey) Fryers study for a stern lecture before administering '6 of the best'.

We then made our way into the dining hall, with a warmed derriere. Word had travelled fast, and as we entered the hall, all the lads on the long tables nearest the das, stood, cheered and clapped.

Made the whole incident very worth while !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Where were you playing this Reveille?

In the house, or outside somewhere?

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Centre of senior dorm, right by the door through to the Inner Sanctum, hence VERY near R.A.H.'s pit !

(Whatever DID happen to R.A. Hewitt ???)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.