Liars say they saw the Sex Pistols - who did you see?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Richard Ruck wrote:one notable Edinburgh gig - The Buzzcocks supported by Joy Division.
Was that with Howard Devoto singing? - (Buzzcocks - remember Spiral Scratch ep?)

He was one of the greatesr and I never saw him perform.

Magazine made some excellent singles - I still have them.

The 1st Damned LP was one record I never bought until at a car boot sale with my kids a couple of weeks ago there it was - for £1.00 - probably worth 10x that!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

No, it was Pete Shelley.

I did see Magazine at The Lyceum, though. 1978, I think, during the summer holidays.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Richard Ruck wrote:The Damned - never got to see them.
I saw the Damned. Jolly good fun it was too. Total chaos - the front five rows of the audience was a massive skinhead punch-up and the band walked off in disgust three times. Then Rat Scabies came back on and whacked a skin over the head with a mike stand (sound of splintering bone echoing out over the PA). Happy memories.

Captain Sensible wasn't nude or wearing a tutu or gorilla suit, though; he went for the Fred-Perry-Shirt-and-Judge's-Wig look instead. But Rat did play the drumkit with his head (and my girlfriend got beaten up in the Ladies toilet).

(I got attacked by skins at a Stiff Little Fingers gig, but that's another story.)

So what d'you reckon to this business of 'revived' classic punk bands being out on the circuit again with only two original members? (UK Subs without Charlie Harper? Disgraceful.)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Spoonbill wrote: So what d'you reckon to this business of 'revived' classic punk bands being out on the circuit again with only two original members? (UK Subs without Charlie Harper? Disgraceful.)
All a bit sad, really. Mind you, bands from the '60 started all this, dragging their sorry arses around the holiday camp circuit in search of a few quid.

Having said that, aren't S.L.F. still around, with Bruce Foxton playing bass?

Never saw them, and would have loved to.

Also, the Stranglers (obviously without Hugh Cornwell) came out with a new album, 'Norfolk Coast', a year or two ago, and surprisingly it's really good.

ludwig van
2nd Former

Post by ludwig van »

I think Rach. 3 was my best concert so far.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

ludwig van wrote:I think Rach. 3 was my best concert so far.
I think you'll need to be a bit more specific re. performers etc. ........and possibly not on a thread with 'Sex Pistols' in the title, otherwise people might start to think that you're the sort of person who 'conducts' along to recordings when nobody's watching :wink:

However, for non-rock/pop stuff, I could chip in with The Tallis Scholars at St. John's Smith Square, The Sixteen at The Purcell Room performing Handel's 'Israel in Egypt', Joanna MacGregor at 'Ocean' in Hackney, The Sixteen (again) doing 'Spem in alium' and John Tavener's 'Ikon of Light' in St.Paul's Cathedral, oh, and The Buddy Rich Big Band at Ronnie Scott's.

The list goes on......

Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Richard Ruck wrote:My best gig-going period was during my first two years at Edinburgh University ('79 - 81).
Ah, Edinburgh in the late 70s/early 80s. I guess this means you must have seen the Exploited play live (and got your head kicked off by senseless skin'ead boneheads into the bargain.

If not, why not?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Spoonbill wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:My best gig-going period was during my first two years at Edinburgh University ('79 - 81).
Ah, Edinburgh in the late 70s/early 80s. I guess this means you must have seen the Exploited play live (and got your head kicked off by senseless skin'ead boneheads into the bargain.

If not, why not?
Never saw them, although Wattie & co. were regular punters at The Edinburgh Nite Club where a lot of the really good smaller gigs happened.

As for the skinheads? No, they never laid a finger on me. Sorry!

Emma Jane
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Emma Jane »

Again, I was not even a twinkle in my parents' eyes..
I have, however, seen Santana and Metallica (with the SFSO).
"He's NOT the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!"
BAB 96-01 GRE 02-03
Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog »

Richard Ruck wrote:Never saw them (the Exploited), although Wattie & co. were regular punters at The Edinburgh Nite Club where a lot of the really good smaller gigs happened.
I see the Exploited are going out on tour again soon. I fear I'll be left feeling very short-changed if Wattie no longer has an enormous mohawk - but can we really expect a 48-year-old man to be soldiering on from year to year with such a silly hairstyle?

(I also note that Penetration have reformed. One wonders if anyone on earth actually cares.....Even I, who attended their farewell gig in 1979, couldn't give a monkey's.)