Single sex versus mixed schooling

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Single sex versus mixed schooling

Post by englishangel »

I can see this one coming under 'Who has never been back?'

I think part of my problem was keeping the oestrogen under control.

I was an early developer so I had about 5 years when I had to control it.

(waiting to hear JRs comment on that).

It must be much easier now, and exam results don't seem to be that much affected jusdging by the latest ones in Housey (there it is again).

My kids are all at mixed (state) schools although there are single sex ones in the area and my daughter says there is 'no way' she would go to a girls' school, even a day one.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I don't think i would want to go to a single sex school...

My parents went to single sex schools and they seem well adjusted to me... ;)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Depends on circumstances in my opinion. For example if the child only has siblings of the same sex then the answer may be different than for a child with mixed siblings.

Furthermore the impact and effect of a school's gender makeup is (or was in my time anyway) greater at a boarding school than a day school simply because there are fewer opportunities for "escape".

I think a child is likely to develop less "hang ups" at a mixed school although, having said that, in the fullness of time it is possible to learn how to interact with the opposite sex even after 7 years in a single sex boarding school. Look at Spoonbill and Englishangel! :wink:

In our own family two of my daughters went to a mixed state grammar and both were very happy there and frequently speak of their old school with affection. Our youngest daughter is happily studying at a state all girls high school which is excellent for sport, her "thing".

If you force me to come off the fence and say one or the other then on balance I say mixed.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Mixedsex

Post by englishangel »

ROFLMAO MidA15.

I was the oldest of 4, 2 boys and 2 girls so had a male influence at home.

I went straight from Hertford to Aston University, an 'Engineering Uni' with a balance of 1:7 women:men.

I had 2 female friends there (both of whom lived at home) and all the rest of my mates were male. I was well known as a beer drinker, was engaged at the end of my second year and married 2 months after graduation, 30 years ago now.

I am certainly on the side of mixed boarding, though would not have boarded my own children at all. Not sure about day schools
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

My 3 children all went to state primary (mixed sex) but looking at state secondary in London we were frightened off and have with the first 2 gone private.

Both of them have ended up in single sex schools.

We were not looking for that, but the best / most appropriate schools that accepted them happened to be single sex.

Both the children are extremely happy there and both finally do homework without being nagged.

As there are both sexes of children in my family I am sure they will, when they are ready, have plenty of pickings from their siblings friends and they have kept in contact with their friends from the primary school.

So I think there is no right type of school for every child.

That's stating the obvious.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

single vs mixed

Post by englishangel »

huntertitus wrote:So I think there is no right type of school for every child.

That's stating the obvious.
I think I probably agree with this one. My oldest (a boy now 20) would probably have been suited by a single-sex school.

My 16 year old boy (a twin) could probably have done with a boy's school if only to get away from his bossy twin sister. :)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Mixed schooling

Post by englishangel »

Huntertitus, what is it with that photo, am I missing something here?

above mentioned twin son had a piccy of himself in his sister's pink tights and tutu at the age of five but las ttime it was shown he grabbed it and I think it is now destroyed.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I don't find this subject at all flippant, Angel.

I was a single child, adopted at birth and went to a state (mixed), Primary until 11, then shunted into Housey.

Consequently, I had no learning skills regarding about the 'opposite sex' and found it very difficult to relate with them until I left at 16. (Boy ! Did I have fun catching up).

For this reason, I cannot believe that 'single-sex' (boarding), schools does anything but damage the natural curve of growing up.

Comments on a Birth-Certificate, to........................
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Like J.R., I was an only child and left a single-sex CH at 18, pretty ignorant of how to relate sensibly with the opposite sex......

Mixed gets my vote.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Re: Mixed schooling

Post by huntertitus »

englishangel wrote:Huntertitus, what is it with that photo, am I missing something here?
That's my beloved daughter aged 2.

It was her birthday and she had ruined the tutu by the evening having spent the day in Battersea Park rolling in filthy puddles of water with a dog.I photographed her in the dress because I knew she'd ruin it by the end of the day.

My oldest son once spent 2 weeks being a girl - he was 4 at the time and I figured it was better to let him get it out of his system now rather than make a scene and see him wanting to cross-dress as an adult.

He is now a well rounded boy who plays for his 1st football team and at 14 spends too much time with 14 yr old girls and this time it's them in the mini-skirts, while he wears the trousers!
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Huntertitus,
So long as your 14-year old son keeps the trousers on, the 14-year old girls should be safe,
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

petard249 wrote:Huntertitus,
So long as your 14-year old son keeps the trousers on, the 14-year old girls should be safe,
In the next year or two??

No Chance
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

huntertitus wrote:In the next year or two??

No Chance
Down with the clap, is he?
Nyort
3rd Former

Post by Nyort »

Well, I can safely say that my years at mixed CH have taught me a lot. You could make a TV programme on Channel 4 with my education. They'd call it 'What Not To Say'. Or is it BBC2...I forget.

Anyway, I haven't had much luck in terms of positive interaction with the opposite sex at CH. Let's face it, they all play hard to get - you can't even start a conversation without them telling you to shut up!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Single sex vs mixed sex

Post by englishangel »

I don't think that is just CH.

My daughter (wot her again?) 16 and gorgeous, has only had one boyfriend, from another school. I think he was a 'tick in the box', to say she had had one. He lasted three weeks then she dumped him after she met his friends. she reckoned they passed one brain cell round.

She has lots of boy mates, as she has a twin brother they often come to our house and she takes great delight in wandering around in her skimpy pyjamas.

She is watching Rock School with me and thinks Dudley is cute but did say she wouldn't sleep with Gene Smmons. I said I wouldn't either :roll: