Peter Portwood - Prep A/Col B 37-45

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Peter Portwood - Prep A/Col B 37-45

Post by DavebytheSea »

His many friends will be saddened to hear that following six weeks battling against cancer (of the colon), Peter died last week in hospital.

Peter was a governor of Christ's Hospital and much enjoyed his periodic visits to the school as well as taking a keen interest in his presentees.

Peter was also a very eminent educational psychologist; not only was he the chief of Cornwall's educational psychology service for many years, but I believe served as president of both national and international bodies in his field.

I had been acquainted with Peter virtually since I left CH half a century ago. He was one of the wittiest and most amusing raconteurs I have ever met and he will be greatly missed in Cornwall where he has been a stalwart supporter of the arts (particularly music - 'though not a performer himself) and of the Cathedral establishment in Truro.

A full obituary by Roff Rayner (Ma B 37-44) will appear in the Old Blue. Roff, who worked together with Peter at County Hall for many years, will also be speaking at the funeral service which is to be held in St Paul's Church, Truro on Monday (7th Nov) at 12:00 noon
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)