Who had guitars at CH and what music inspired you

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Who had guitars at CH and what music inspired you

Post by huntertitus »

I played a bit of guitar at ch and I would think David Bowie was a major influence at the time I was there - I always wanted a 12 string like my hero but had to wait till after I left school

I wanted to know what songs really made you HAVE to go get that guitar and learn to play

My songs were Bowie (esp. Amsterdam) who seemed always to use a 12 string, also T Rex (Metal Guru but check Placebo version of 20th Century boy), Early Roxy Music when Eno was still there, Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - (Come up and see me - Make me Smile)
Lou Reed was pretty good then too

I will go now as I fear I am starting to sound like a plane spotter
Emma Jane
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Emma Jane »

Well, I played guitar from a wee lass and the main influence was a lot of Latin folklore

Santana got me really passionate about my geetar

I play lots really. Especially some of the really mellow Jack Johnson stuff
"He's NOT the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!"
BAB 96-01 GRE 02-03
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I never got past the e major chord... *alas*

There weren't 'that' many guitar groups at school when I was there...

It was mostly funk / soul groups...

Having said that, there was a band on the year below me 'Envy' who played their own music but also stuff by the Manics, Garbage, and Metalica...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

I started playing on my deps (bass first, then guitar). I tried to get a band going at CH but it didn't really work.

I have to say that I like a few different genres of music, from classical to fairly hardcore metal, but when I'm playing guitar, late '50's/ early 60's rock 'n' roll is the only thing for me! The Beatles were my inspiration - not particularly for their studio albums (which are awesome) but for their early live recordings - live at the star club, hamburg or select tracks from live at the BBC. The version of 'some other guy' on the latter is amazing. Then again, I don't think any recording artist has matched the Beatles recordings of twist and shout, money and long tall sally for rawness. They make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. God, I want my own covers band. I even bought a Rickenbacker just to sound like them! just need the vox ac30...........
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

graham wrote:I started playing on my deps (bass first, then guitar). I tried to get a band going at CH but it didn't really work.

I have to say that I like a few different genres of music, from classical to fairly hardcore metal, but when I'm playing guitar, late '50's/ early 60's rock 'n' roll is the only thing for me! The Beatles were my inspiration - not particularly for their studio albums (which are awesome) but for their early live recordings - live at the star club, hamburg or select tracks from live at the BBC. The version of 'some other guy' on the latter is amazing. Then again, I don't think any recording artist has matched the Beatles recordings of twist and shout, money and long tall sally for rawness. They make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. God, I want my own covers band. I even bought a Rickenbacker just to sound like them! just need the vox ac30...........
Funny you should mention that - I am off tonight to meet people in a band looking for a guitarist (mid life crisis, don't worry - happens all the time) and I have a 1964 Rickenbacker - I have a pic of Lennon playing an identical one

I used to own an AC30 - sold it for £30 and then I had a Selmer 4x12 100 watt Zodiac - so rare now - even the 2x12 version never goes for less than £500 - and I left mine in a pub after a gig when it blew up!
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

I too have joined the ranks of budding jammers. I own two acoustics - a Freshman FA100 and a Tanglewood TW55, both electro-a. I just enjoy playing all sorts - and I learnt mainly through Christian songs that I know and enjoy.

Many times, people just come to your room and we find a song to play - the Internet is great for that - and you chill for an hour. It's a great way to pass the time and get to know people.

In terms of secular music, I enjoy Santana, Fleetwood, Oasis, Greenday, Clapton, Charlie Parker - in fact most things, except metal and hip/hop.

Delirious? are one of my fav bands - they are pretty good.
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

I bought a guitar (tanglewood copy of SG) at uni mainly because my housemate plays, sort of know how to play now but teachin myself so slow-going. Played violin for a while at CH, even had an electric pickup for it! Far too many influences to comment, but listen to Ben Harper, Jack Johnson etc. at the moment...
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

What are people's views on the Les Paul? I can't afford a Gibson, but an Epi is well within my range. Anyone got one?!
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

my housemate has an epi les paul, its v nice. only problem he had is with the pickup switch, but thats nothin major. buy it!
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

darthmaul wrote:I too have joined the ranks of budding jammers. I own two acoustics - a Freshman FA100 and a Tanglewood TW55, both electro-a. .
But you can only play one at a time Luke!!
scariefairy
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by scariefairy »

i got my first guitar for christmas n still cant play proper tunes, just random sections that i learn by ear :shock:

influenced to start by guns n roses

now interessted in anythin i think i could learn to play by ear :wink:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

scariefairy wrote:i got my first guitar for christmas n still cant play proper tunes, just random sections that i learn by ear :shock:

influenced to start by guns n roses

now interessted in anythin i think i could learn to play by ear :wink:
You might find a plectrum easier !! :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

I have fulfilled a little part of me - with a new guitar!

I have now got three (although technically one is now my mother's). As stated in a previous post, I wanted an Epiphone Les Paul (I cant afford a Gibson). Then funnily enough I got one just before the Christmas holidays - cheap 2ndhand from a uni student.

So...there u go...funny things happen.

And yes, plectrums are much easier to play with, although Hendrix did manage the teeth trick...
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

I got my first guitar to play in Mr Jeffers' folk guitar active on Tuesdays!!

I was doing great until I got to F. Still can't play bar/barre[?] chords so gave up. Still play electric violin but I'm such a failed musician, can play anything (well a couple of things) as long as it's in D.

Do remember learning 'More Than Words' in Col B hallway once. Don't remember the chords but the bit where you slap the body of the guitar was fun.

Ok, now you can all laugh at me.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:I got my first guitar to play in Mr Jeffers' folk guitar active on Tuesdays!!

I was doing great until I got to F. Still can't play bar/barre[?] chords so gave up. Still play electric violin but I'm such a failed musician, can play anything (well a couple of things) as long as it's in D.

Do remember learning 'More Than Words' in Col B hallway once. Don't remember the chords but the bit where you slap the body of the guitar was fun.

Ok, now you can all laugh at me.
We haven't stopped for days !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.