Col B and bell ringing.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

efsis wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:There is a very crude joke bubbling under the surface of this thread....
Well prick it and be done with it !

What I meant was that it was nice to be able to see a family eating nice food ,watching tv, being civilised and all the time in a pleasant warmth. While we mere mortals fought to be able to sit on the radiator ( piles or not )
Don't think it's anything to do with looking through the headmaster's windows.

Something to do with having a tug before breakfast, probably..... :roll:
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
efsis
3rd Former

Post by efsis »

With Col B being so close to the chapel we were clean in heart and mind !!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

efsis wrote:With Col B being so close to the chapel we were clean in heart and mind !!
YOU SPEAK FOR YERSELF !!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

When I was at CH I never had much to do with Col B...

Too far away from Maine!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

By the time I got to the school the bells were all automated. Apart from the bell to line up for marching, which was rung by a house monitor. It was an electric push switch in centre hall (OMG centre hall!) so only monitors were allowed there. That was fun.

I remember ringing the chapel bell quite a few times, but I think it was coincidence that I was also in Col B.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

At Hertford one of the prefects had to get up at 6.50 and ring the school bell (in the main hall) for us all to get up. 7am on weekdays and 8.15 on Sunday. I believe it was prefects rang the bell for breakfast and lunch too.

I cannot really remember anyone ever forgetting, although it may have been a minute or two late a few times, quite amazing.

Each house took it in turns for 3 people to get up at 7am on Sunday and go spud-bashing, peeling the potatoes for lunch for the entire school.

The chapel bell was cracked (a near miss during the war?) and was only rung on Speech Day.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:At Hertford one of the prefects had to get up at 6.50 and ring the school bell (in the main hall) for us all to get up. 7am on weekdays and 8.15 on Sunday. I believe it was prefects rang the bell for breakfast and lunch too.

I cannot really remember anyone ever forgetting, although it may have been a minute or two late a few times, quite amazing.

Each house took it in turns for 3 people to get up at 7am on Sunday and go spud-bashing, peeling the potatoes for lunch for the entire school.

The chapel bell was cracked (a near miss during the war?) and was only rung on Speech Day.
It was a great feeling of power ringing the bell :lol: :lol: I remember being taught the technique very seriously, the first time I did it, I was nervous but then it was a mundane chore!! Funny, don't remember the chapel bell at all.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965