Old Holborn versus Golden Virginia Red Green or Blue Rizlas

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Never encountered this one.....

Did try newspaper when times were hard, though. Amazed to have any lungs left!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
swirl
3rd Former

Post by swirl »

yeah, they sold choclate ciagaretes when i was there too. oh, bible paper is'nt as good as it's made out to be
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

swirl wrote:yeah, they sold choclate ciagaretes when i was there too. oh, bible paper is'nt as good as it's made out to be
you seem to be a bit confused as to whether you are still at CH or not!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
swirl
3rd Former

Post by swirl »

ok forget that then
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

talking of smoking weird sh*t - in 1972 there used to be a lot of power cuts and for some reason - when all the lights went out, we used to assume that meant that we could smoke anything we could find. A guy called Mark Dawson (I think) smoked cotton wool wrapped in paper - we also used bootpolish as candles - all very health and safety conscious in those days...
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

STRIKES

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Rory wrote:in 1972 there used to be a lot of power cuts
I remember it well. I was working at the MoD at the time. There were so many strikes it was difficult to keep up with what was going on. In the late afternoons and on into the evening we used to work by candlelight - literally - and use torches to find our way down the corridors to the exit of the building. How we failed ti burn the place down I will never know.
The streets were spooky - like some Jack the Ripper film.
It was all due to the Heath government taking on ther Trades Unions.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

The workers, united, will never be defeated (especially by egocentric neoliberalist tossers).

I don't get why you'd smoke cotton wool. It's quite obviously not tobacco, even in the dark.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Hendrik wrote:The workers, united, will never be defeated (especially by egocentric neoliberalist tossers).

I don't get why you'd smoke cotton wool. It's quite obviously not tobacco, even in the dark.
You'll be voting Tory when you get to my age.... :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

im trying to write a 3000 word essay at the moment about trade unions:

‘Workers in non-union enterprises have limited opportunity to influence their terms and conditions of employment’ Discuss.

2600 left to do in the next 5 hours :(
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

ben ashton wrote:im trying to write a 3000 word essay at the moment about trade unions:

‘Workers in non-union enterprises have limited opportunity to influence their terms and conditions of employment’ Discuss.

2600 left to do in the next 5 hours :(
That is true unless you possess skills that are in great demand but short supply.

The "ordinary" worker especially in a small firm, and something like 80% of workers in the UK are employed by organisations with less than 20 employees, really can only vote with his feet. Do that too often and the CV starts to look dodgy as you could be perceived as unreliable and lacking stickability. Having said that if you stay in one place too long you could be perceived as lacking ambition but that is digressing from the question.

You can turn the statement on it's head though and say it is equally applicable to unionised labour. You only get the terms and conditions that the Union negotiates therefore your opportunity to influence is limited!

The question then becomes whether you could do better than the union on your own. The answer will probably be "no" unless you have sought after skills in short supply as I said at the start!

Hope this helps :!: :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Hendrik wrote:The workers, united, will never be defeated (especially by egocentric neoliberalist tossers).

granted many people who thought they were 'left' when they were young end up swinging to the right but in my experience these are always people who a) knew nothing about politics b) know nothing about politics (this is why they end up voting Tory :wink: ) and c) were never really 'left' in the first place, they just thought that because daddy sent them to university they must be Enemies of the State :lol:

luckily the generation of bogus self-percieved 'revolutionary' weekend-hippies are a nearly extinct breed and you can see people's true social colours at a much earlier age nowadays.

:!: ...and I still don't understand why anyone would smoke cotton wool. I did use it as filters for roll-ups whenever I ran out of real ones.
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

finished essay at 5.50am friday, did a seven hour shift at work, handed in essay.
wouldn't have survived the night without my Drum and Rizla, they have been good friends to me..
btw whenever Hendrick writes anything even vaguely political, assume that I think the complete opposite :wink:

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

ben ashton wrote:btw whenever Hendrick writes anything even vaguely political, assume that I think the complete opposite :wink:
no " :wink: " about it, it's absolutely true!

as for the roll-ups, yeah they do help for the all nighters, any kind of stimulant flush helps (short term).
remind me, next time we're at retreat/bax etc we must go for a sneaky cigarette in a bush somewhere. just for nostalgia.

actually, this is an open invitation for any of you who are still thick/addicted enough to smoke! it's amazing how often you look over your shoulder, even as an old blue. sure it would still be true for you 40+ers out there...
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

there's now a 10m smoking ban round most uni building entrances, which is currently being thoroughly ignored, but does bring back memories of the repression.. :wink:

nostalgic in-bush smoking sounds like a plan

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Mid A 15 wrote:

Or if you are sensible and in Cornwall, Lib Dem.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)