CH Trivia

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

helen
UF (Upper Fourth)

blues and linings

Post by helen »

Oh dear! I'm devastated! I've always wanted my underwear tidied up by someone who owns a wild boar. :(
(Can't write the 'k' word - who knows who might be watching?)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:Hey! this could be a wonderful site for any burglars who just happen to have got Who's Blue or the Directory of Old Blues. Please think twice before saying you will be away from home - remember your addresses may be available to the unscrupulous.

By all means let JT know your movements.

I am not usually paranoid about these things, but ......
Exactly !

For the record Julian, my 'projected address', 1st Feb to 31st July will probably be:-

Block 5E,
Co The Governer,
HM Prison,
FORD,
Sussex. :oops: :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Why

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:
jtaylor wrote:
shoz wrote:I was even pm'd by the administrator and asked why I had not replied to you, even though everyone seemed to know I was in Egypt at the time. I replied to him by asking if he wants me to leave the forum. I will, of course, obey his instructions. He could also remove my account if he feels I have broken any of the forum's rules.
No plans to ask anyone to leave - it's an open forum.
My PM was based on actually trying to encourage a response, to hopefully placate another forum member.
I can't keep on top of every post and, contrary to what may be popular belief, I can't keep tabs on the international location of members in any given week! Given your regular postings, you seemed to have gone quiet, and hence the nudge.

Sorry if it caused offense - I will endeavour to track all members' holiday plans more closely in future!

I think it's still hard for most to understand why you interest - however that doesn't mean you're not welcome, but you should probably expect questions from time-to-time.

J
Perhaps we should email you our holiday plans? :)

Just to let everyone know that I shall shortly be returning to work properly so although my replies will not be so rapid, I will still be around.

Probably not until I get my buttons though.
You'll still be a round, WHAT Mary ?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Why

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:
jtaylor wrote: No plans to ask anyone to leave - it's an open forum.
My PM was based on actually trying to encourage a response, to hopefully placate another forum member.
I can't keep on top of every post and, contrary to what may be popular belief, I can't keep tabs on the international location of members in any given week! Given your regular postings, you seemed to have gone quiet, and hence the nudge.

Sorry if it caused offense - I will endeavour to track all members' holiday plans more closely in future!

I think it's still hard for most to understand why you interest - however that doesn't mean you're not welcome, but you should probably expect questions from time-to-time.

J
Perhaps we should email you our holiday plans? :)

Just to let everyone know that I shall shortly be returning to work properly so although my replies will not be so rapid, I will still be around.

Probably not until I get my buttons though.
You'll still be a round, WHAT Mary ?
A round tubby thing 8)
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

What happened when the girls arrived?

Post by shoz »

How did the transition from CH being an all boys school to being mixed go? I presume the same number of boys applied as in previous years, so a far greater proportion must have been turned down in the first year. Why is the intake not 50/50? I believe the proportion is roughly two thirds boys. Is it simply because more boys apply? If so, why? I also presume that girls started out as Second Formers with no other girls in the school which must have made them feel very self conscious.

Any recollections anyone?
1B1 2B1 3B1 4M 5M
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: What happened when the girls arrived?

Post by Mid A 15 »

shoz wrote:How did the transition from CH being an all boys school to being mixed go? I presume the same number of boys applied as in previous years, so a far greater proportion must have been turned down in the first year. Why is the intake not 50/50? I believe the proportion is roughly two thirds boys. Is it simply because more boys apply? If so, why? I also presume that girls started out as Second Formers with no other girls in the school which must have made them feel very self conscious.

Any recollections anyone?
Shoz,

This thread might help.

viewtopic.php?t=704
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

If you don't understand any of that shoz, CH has been for boys and girls since its founding in 1552/3. It was in London at first then the girls and junior (primary school age) boys moved to Hertford.

the Senior boys moved to Horsham at the end of the 19th century followed by the junior boys in 1902, leaving Hertford to the girls.

There were about 350 girls at Hertford and 800+ boys at Horsham.

The number of girls at Hertford was reduced (I believe) in the years leading up to 1985 when the girls moved to Horsham, 7 years worth not just 2nd Form.

I believe that the girls have been very important at Horsham and certainly there have been several female Senior Grecians. However thay are still outnumbered, though I believe they are aiming for parity in 2008.
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

englishangel wrote:If you don't understand any of that shoz, CH has been for boys and girls since its founding in 1552/3. It was in London at first then the girls and junior (primary school age) boys moved to Hertford.

the Senior boys moved to Horsham at the end of the 19th century followed by the junior boys in 1902, leaving Hertford to the girls.

The number of girls at Hertford was reduced (I believe) in the years leading up to 1985 when the girls moved to Horsham, 7 years worth not just 2nd Form.

I believe that the girls have been very important at Horsham and certainly there have been several female Senior Grecians. However thay are still outnumbered, though I believe they are aiming for parity in 2008.
I didn't know 7 years worth of girls, as you put it, were moved all at once, a logistical nightmare? Was there lots of disruption to the classes? Apart from the obvious, toilets, changing rooms etc, what other things had to change to accommodate the girls?
1B1 2B1 3B1 4M 5M
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Richard suggested you check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=704

Don't forget the girls wouldn't have been moved physically, they would have gone home a the end of term form Hertford and gone backk to Horsham at the beginning of the next term.

The boarding houses aren't mixed so in those it would just have been necessary to change urinals to WCs.

You would change for games in your house.

Not sure what would happen at the swimming pool in 1985.

Most of the stuff at Hertford had been there for donkeys years so I am sure the horsehair mattresses were dumped, the iron beds would have gone for scrap, and I know there was an auction in the summer of '85 where a lot of the good stuff made an indecent amount of money from people who wanted to remember their school days.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

englishangel wrote:Richard suggested you check out this thread.
Get my name wrong again and I'll set Katharine on you! :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mid A 15 wrote:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: sorry
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Mid A 15 wrote:
I'll second that! :)

My New Year's Resolution is to try to avoid indulging Shoz's little 'hobby' (although I did slip up by posting a link yesterday)!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I guess those who were around at the Merger would be able to tell you more...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:If you don't understand any of that shoz, CH has been for boys and girls since its founding in 1552/3. It was in London at first then the girls and junior (primary school age) boys moved to Hertford.

Hence the increase in sales of galvanised buckets in Horsham, for the purpose of containing cold water Mary ? :roll:
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid!!! :twisted: :twisted:

I have been able to quell a class of teenage girls with a LOOK!!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965