CH Trivia

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Katharine wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
englishangel wrote:Richard suggested you check out this thread.
Get my name wrong again and I'll set Katharine on you! :wink:
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid!!! :twisted: :twisted:

I have been able to quell a class of teenage girls with a LOOK!!!
Bl*ody Hell! Run away!!!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

shoz wrote:I didn't know 7 years worth of girls, as you put it, were moved all at once, a logistical nightmare? Was there lots of disruption to the classes? Apart from the obvious, toilets, changing rooms etc, what other things had to change to accommodate the girls?
We all left Hertford in July 1985 and sometime over the summer holidays we received letters telling us which house we would be in at Horsham. In my case I was put into BaB along with 3 or 4 others from 2's and a couple from 5's. I think they tried to keep a few of us from each girls house together when we moved to Horsham. The number of girls at Hertford had been reduced over previous years to the extent that one of the girls boarding houses (8's) was closed a couple of years before we moved schools. I guess that as all the girls moved into only 4 of the 16 houses at Horsham they had to reduce numbers to fit us in - either that or they were cost cutting at Hertford!

I don't remember lessons being disrupted - we were just given the timetable for the term & started attending lessons with the boys (in my case for the 6th form I was the only girl in 2 of my 3 chosen subjects!).

Changing rooms were in the boarding houses so that didn't affect the boys at all. I don't remember what they did about toilets in the classroom blocks though :? As for swimming I never set foot in the actual pool at Horsham - it was down near the farm & station from what I can recall although it got damaged beyond repair during the 1987 storm and a couple of years later they built the new sports centre.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Vonny wrote:
shoz wrote:I didn't know 7 years worth of girls, as you put it, were moved all at once, a logistical nightmare? Was there lots of disruption to the classes? Apart from the obvious, toilets, changing rooms etc, what other things had to change to accommodate the girls?
*snip*

Changing rooms were in the boarding houses so that didn't affect the boys at all. I don't remember what they did about toilets in the classroom blocks though :? As for swimming I never set foot in the actual pool at Horsham - it was down near the farm & station from what I can recall although it got damaged beyond repair during the 1987 storm and a couple of years later they built the new sports centre.
Both Barnes and Coleridge were upgraded for the girls in 1985 I think...

Although the old pool and gym were damaged they did reopen them for a couple more years - I learnt to swim in them when I was 8!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Great Plum wrote: Both Barnes and Coleridge were upgraded for the girls in 1985 I think...

Although the old pool and gym were damaged they did reopen them for a couple more years - I learnt to swim in them when I was 8!
Yes the houses were upgraded - the seniors had cubicles on the 2nd floor although they were only separated by partitions that did not reach the ceiling so you could hear everything :twisted:

My mistake re the pool - as I said, I never set foot in there and left less than a year after the storm so maybe it re opened after I left.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Vonny wrote:
Great Plum wrote: Both Barnes and Coleridge were upgraded for the girls in 1985 I think...

Yes the houses were upgraded - the seniors had cubicles on the 2nd floor although they were only separated by partitions that did not reach the ceiling so you could hear everything :twisted:

My mistake re the pool - as I said, I never set foot in there and left less than a year after the storm so maybe it re opened after I left.
Please explain, in detail !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
Vonny wrote:

Blimey, I'm glad I don't have to clean out YOUR mind. :twisted:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

J.R. wrote:
Vonny wrote:

:shock:

Well everyone heard me throw up into my bin after the Guiness & Martini episode :shock:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Vonny wrote:

In the early 90's the lower dorms were changed to proper studies which left the juniors in these houses with the cubicles - it meant theat they had the best accommodation for Juniors for a while!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Great Plum wrote:
Vonny wrote:

In the early 90's the lower dorms were changed to proper studies which left the juniors in these houses with the cubicles - it meant theat they had the best accommodation for Juniors for a while!
Bet that went down well with the other juniors!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Like a lead balloon - most of the junior boys were still in the full dorms without carpets...
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Great Plum wrote:Like a lead balloon - most of the junior boys were still in the full dorms without CARPETS...
You mean some did have carpets? :roll: :roll:
In my day we did not know the meaning of the word carpet!!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

It changed at the end of my 3rd form when carpets were put in and they partitioned the large dormitories into two.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Definitely no carpets at Hertford :shock: I don't remember having them at Horsham either to be honest. They certainly didn't have them in the lower dowm and I'm pretty certain we didn't have them upstairs. Easier to keep clean and more hygenic not to have carpets though.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote:In my day we did not know the meaning of the word carpet!!!
Meaning of carpet? head down in Kit's sofa, trousers round your ankles waiting for the sting of leather on muscle or cane on flesh.

That is the meaning of being on the carpet; be thankful you didn't have it.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

sejintenej wrote:
Katharine wrote:In my day we did not know the meaning of the word carpet!!!
Meaning of carpet? head down in Kit's sofa, trousers round your ankles waiting for the sting of leather on muscle or cane on flesh.

That is the meaning of being on the carpet; be thankful you didn't have it.
:shock: