Death of John Edwards (Horsham Staff 1939-74)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

Death of John Edwards (Horsham Staff 1939-74)

Post by Rex »

A message sent out on 28 November by Jan de Walden (MdA 1964-71, Governor):

I write to you with the sad news of the death of my stepfather John Edwards (JHE) who passed away peacefully at his home in Northamptonshire last night, on Sunday 27 November 2005. He was 92 years old and had been rather frail since picking up a chill whilst standing in the cold at a very long Remembrance Sunday parade.

This is not the time to go into detail of his rich and varied life. Suffice to say that he was a wonderfully kind and generous man and will be fondly remembered by his family, friends and all the pupils with whom he shared his knowledge in so many years of teaching service, both at Christ's Hospital and later in Midhurst, Sussex.

Funeral arrangements are not yet known at this stage, but it is likely to be a private family service.

As far as I know, John Edwards was the last surviving member of the Horsham Common Room of the Thirties.

He was my first form master. I remember him as a kind, patient, good man.

Apologies for the delay in passing the word - have been away from the forum for a fortnight, and had assumed someone else would make the announcement.
Last edited by Rex on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Surprised that nobody has commented on this since Mr Edwards served 35 years at the school.

I only knew him by sight and was never taught by him myself. He was housemaster in one of the Lamb houses during my time if I remember rightly.

My condolences to Jan if he sees this.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Was this the same "Teddy" Edwards that had something to do with the school library ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote:Was this the same "Teddy" Edwards that had something to do with the school library ??
I don't think so. I believe "Teddy" Edwards was retired at the time of World War Two but came out of retirement to help out. The Blue certainly gives that impression anyway.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:
J.R. wrote:Was this the same "Teddy" Edwards that had something to do with the school library ??
I don't think so. I believe "Teddy" Edwards was retired at the time of World War Two but came out of retirement to help out. The Blue certainly gives that impression anyway.
Probably right. I thought the age would have been wrong for this to be the same person.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
JGSteel
2nd Former

J H Edwards

Post by JGSteel »

I am sorry to hear of the death of JHE. He was the master who coached the swimming team (XVI) while I was at CH and as Jan de Walden said, a kindly man. See my post on the subject of the swimming pool.

And no, he was not ACW Edwards who taught me English and History in 1942. His portrait appears in "The Christ's Hospital Book" and was very much older than JHE.
rockfreak
Grecian

Re: Death of John Edwards (Horsham Staff 1939-74)

Post by rockfreak »

Yes, my recollection of Fish is that he was rather a kindly man. I remember his patience when teaching me to swim. His son Simon was my generation in Prep and Upper. Perhaps I remember kindly people from back then because they weren't all!
brian walling
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by brian walling »

Yes, I remember JH Edwards as a master well. He had many roles and oversaw swimming and gym activities, including coaching house monitors on how to conduct the houses' daily outdoor gym sessions (all of which I remember very clearly). He was a good gym instructor and like to explain that he had done his training in "Danish" gym techniques. I believe that his main subject area was English and that he held several form master positions. He also provided back-up in Divinity, where I experienced him a few times, and there he came across as quite a stern teacher. As I recall, he lived with his family in a school house on the other side of the road leading from Peele to the station. I am surprised but happy that he lived so long after CH.
Ma A 53-60
brian walling
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by brian walling »

I should have added to my earlier post that JHE has, in a small way, remained an inspiration to me through my life to do daily exercise. I still do a daily 1km swim before breakfast followed by some of his stretching exercises.

By the way, does the School still have the daily (weekdays) 10 minute gym/PT sessions on the grass in front of each house, or something similar?
Ma A 53-60
charlesr
2nd Former

Post by charlesr »

brian walling wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:48 am...By the way, does the School still have the daily (weekdays) 10 minute gym/PT sessions on the grass in front of each house, or something similar?
We didn't even have that in my time (67-75 - so not that long after you!) I doubt it's been reintroduced!
Charles Rogers (LHA 67-70; ThB 70-75)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

charlesr wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:08 am
brian walling wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:48 am...By the way, does the School still have the daily (weekdays) 10 minute gym/PT sessions on the grass in front of each house, or something similar?
We didn't even have that in my time (67-75 - so not that long after you!) I doubt it's been reintroduced!
We had it on the tarmac behind the house in 1950s.
I thought I saw a post that an incoming master had decreed that the "old" system was bad and had introduced a new format but the dates were uncertain.

IMHO what we did in Col A was not good. That is not to say the exercises were bad but they were being too hurried. What I am now being taught is that the exercises should be carried out very slowly with stretches being held for forty seconds to permanantly lengthen the sinews etc. From what I see that seems to have some definite effect.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I thought I saw a post that an incoming master had decreed that the "old" system was bad and had introduced a new format but the dates were uncertain.

IMHO what we did in Col A was not good. That is not to say the exercises were bad but they were being too hurried. What I am now being taught is that the exercises should be carried out very slowly with stretches being held for forty seconds to permanantly lengthen the sinews etc. From what I see that seems to have some definite effect.

You did, and it was from me. And basically what Neil Simms said was what you say in your 2nd paragraph above. The movements were carried out too fast and too violently. What you 'did in ColA' was what the whole school did: the exercises were prescribed from above, and monitors (whose task it was to take them) were prepared in a single session. As many monitors seemed to regard PT as a kind of punishment rather than physical education, this only aggravated the problem you outline.
I'm sure Fish Edwards was well-meaning, but he wasn't up to date. Neil Simms was the first new PE master in nearly 30 years.
We once had a visit from a Soviet educational delegation. CMES told me 'They particularly liked our PT.'
Th.B. 27 1955-63
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

In reply to Sejintenej, my memory of seeing Col A doing morning PT was when the Juniors were being taken by "Elvis" Carter. Carter was a rock 'n' roll fan and always had an enviable supply of the latest chart singles which our guys in Col B would sometimes borrow. On this occasion he had clearly got fed up with the stock repertoire of jumps, jerks and stretches and had got the Juniors doing the Elvis hip wiggle in unison complete with sexy grunts. I can't imagine what Kit made of it looking out of the window outside his study.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:32 pm In reply to Sejintenej, my memory of seeing Col A doing morning PT was when the Juniors were being taken by "Elvis" Carter. Carter was a rock 'n' roll fan and always had an enviable supply of the latest chart singles which our guys in Col B would sometimes borrow. On this occasion he had clearly got fed up with the stock repertoire of jumps, jerks and stretches and had got the Juniors doing the Elvis hip wiggle in unison complete with sexy grunts. I can't imagine what Kit made of it looking out of the window outside his study.
KI don't remember the hip wiggle but I certainly remember Carter. He had the second study in the dayroom and from it emerged all sorts of (then) mod (so-called) music. We blamed his noisiness for the ban on records at the school.
OK rockfreak it was your bread and butter but can YOU work out the connection between "Indian Brave" and "Apache"? (other that native americans that is)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
blueeyedboy
3rd Former

Post by blueeyedboy »

Indian Brave was originally by The Outlaws (the UK band, not the US one), which included on guitar one Richie Blackmore. In the mid 70s Blackmore covered Apache on a Shadows tribute album called Twang.

Time for my medication nurse.....