How did you hear of CH?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

efsis
3rd Former

Post by efsis »

Through the RAF Benevolent Fund ( who were due to my fathers war wounds basically keeping our family with a roof over our heads. )
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: How did you hear of CH?

Post by Mid A 15 »

AKAP wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:My parents were told of the school by the headmistress of my primary school and I sat the LCC exam. (The LCC became the GLC in 1965 so my year was the last of the LCC I believe).

:)
We must have taken the same exam, as I was also one of the last LCC boys. (I remember CMES doing the interviews).
As already mentioned my foster brother had gone to CH prep school aged 9 or 10 (governor's place I think). When I was 11 my father saw the advert and asked me if I was interested. Having visited the prep school and gone to prep school films (Robin Hood) it seemed a good idea.
I offered my boys the chance when they came to the age of 11, they both said no.
Yes I remember being interviewed by CMES. I must have looked nervous because he told me to relax I remember. I sat next to Jo(h)n Moore who also got in.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

jhopgood wrote:Miss Gladys Browne, Headmistress at Wybourne, New Eltham.
The previous year, Peter Thompson had got in to CH. My year, 1959, during school journey in Sandown, the Isle of Wight, 4 of us, Ian Watts, Michael Froggatt, Ian Johnson and I went up to Gt Tower Street for the LCC entrance exams. I still have my school journey book.
Ian Watts failed and I went to Barnes B with Cherniasky, Johnson to Lamb B with R Rae, and Froggatt to Peele B with Matthews.
Rumour has it that Froggatt (co founder of the Jabberwocky Jazz Band, one of the first at CH) died some years ago, any news gratefully received, Ian Johnson is a medical professor at Nottingham University and Watts is an engineer.
I have no idea where Gladys got the idea that we should go to CH, although my mother claims that her father tried to send my uncle there but failed. Two unrelated incidents I believe.
Gladys is dead and my mother has had a stroke making communication difficult, so the chances of finding out the true reason are small.
Yet another of life's mysteries.
Question of taking your chances as they come by.
Quite a Wybourne dynasty then it seems. Your brother (I assume), Clive Walters (who won a soccer blue at Cambridge), Bob Pilbeam and Julian Garner (the playwright) are others from Wybourne that I am aware of.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Mid A 15 wrote:
jhopgood wrote:Miss Gladys Browne, Headmistress at Wybourne, New Eltham.
The previous year, Peter Thompson had got in to CH. My year, 1959, during school journey in Sandown, the Isle of Wight, 4 of us, Ian Watts, Michael Froggatt, Ian Johnson and I went up to Gt Tower Street for the LCC entrance exams. I still have my school journey book.
Ian Watts failed and I went to Barnes B with Cherniasky, Johnson to Lamb B with R Rae, and Froggatt to Peele B with Matthews.
Rumour has it that Froggatt (co founder of the Jabberwocky Jazz Band, one of the first at CH) died some years ago, any news gratefully received, Ian Johnson is a medical professor at Nottingham University and Watts is an engineer.
I have no idea where Gladys got the idea that we should go to CH, although my mother claims that her father tried to send my uncle there but failed. Two unrelated incidents I believe.
Gladys is dead and my mother has had a stroke making communication difficult, so the chances of finding out the true reason are small.
Yet another of life's mysteries.
Question of taking your chances as they come by.
Quite a Wybourne dynasty then it seems. Your brother (I assume), Clive Walters (who won a soccer blue at Cambridge), Bob Pilbeam and Julian Garner (the playwright) are others from Wybourne that I am aware of.
Brother Richard and sister Josephine.
Was Bob Pilbeam brother of Annette Pilbeam, who was in my year at Wybourne?
We have held one Wybourne reunion about 3 years ago and are still in touch, of sorts.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

It seems to have been a family thing on my Mothers side. Her Father was an OB, (London), and one of her cousins attended CH before going off to fight for King and Country in the second world war.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

jhopgood wrote:
Brother Richard and sister Josephine.
Was Bob Pilbeam brother of Annette Pilbeam, who was in my year at Wybourne?
We have held one Wybourne reunion about 3 years ago and are still in touch, of sorts.
I don't know for sure but as Pilbeam is not a common name I would say probably yes.

I coincidentally knew Bob before CH as we both represented Eltham And District Wolf Cubs at soccer. I then ran into him in Wales, after CH days, when he was working as a rep for PGL adventure holidays and I was on a working holiday with Holiday Fellowship and PGL supplied our sailing days.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

I heard about CH through my Uncle who knew about it from working in the Church. It was meant to be for my brother, but I was quickly put in for the exams (thank goodness for presentations!).

When my brother took the exams 2 years later he didn't get in, so he ended up at KES Witley.
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

eloisec wrote:I heard about CH through my Uncle who knew about it from working in the Church. It was meant to be for my brother, but I was quickly put in for the exams (thank goodness for presentations!).

When my brother took the exams 2 years later he didn't get in, so he ended up at KES Witley.
then he must have known my son, Sébastien, who moved to KES from CH ( where he was v.unhappy) - he said KES was a paradise in comparaison. My daughter also went to KES.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Interestingly KES is often known by CH pupils today as the 'CH reject school' - fairly or unfairly I don't know...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

palgsm93 wrote:I like the Visual Tour on the KES website. CH should defiantly have one on theirs!
why should CH be defiant about it?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

My father being in and (I think) out of hospital from 1941 until his death in the early 50's and therefore not earning I think it was my mother's employer who wanted me educated and arranged the "presentation".
I once met the person who had the presentation - she had a Hugenot name which, I suspect, could have tied her in with one of my godmothers and also my mother's employer.

I know she was not too happy with the situation and I was less so; how she afforded even the sports clothes and fares I don't know and she died without saying.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

sejintenej wrote:My father being in and (I think) out of hospital from 1941 until his death in the early 50's and therefore not earning I think it was my mother's employer who wanted me educated and arranged the "presentation".
I once met the person who had the presentation - she had a Hugenot name which, I suspect, could have tied her in with one of my godmothers and also my mother's employer.

I know she was not too happy with the situation and I was less so; how she afforded even the sports clothes and fares I don't know and she died without saying.
My ancestors were Huguenot on my fathers side. vide my maiden name
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

palgsm93 wrote:I like the Visual Tour on the KES website. CH should defiantly have one on theirs!
Hmmmm. .......... Definitely defiant in view of the opposition. (.... or should it be apposition?)
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)