Old Blues Who Move Back to the Horsham/Hertford Area

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Incidentally a colleague of my husband moved from Uxbridge to Horsham becasue of the good rail link to London.

He is a bit of a saddo though.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:I didn't say you WERE Spoonbill or BTPED, just that the three of you seem to pop up at odd times after breaks.
Probably when Matron's not watching and he slips out, if you'll pardon the expression !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:I didn't say you WERE Spoonbill or BTPED, just that the three of you seem to pop up at odd times after breaks.
Probably when Matron's not watching and he slips out, if you'll pardon the expression !!
You do seem to have a way with words J.R. :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Re: Old Blues Who Move Back to the Horsham/Hertford Area

Post by Hendrik »

Spoonbill wrote:I mean to say, what are these people playing at exactly?

Are they the saddest sad ******** on the entire planet? Or am I missing a crucial point here?
Well, I guess the most obvious answer is that OBs have a tendency towards (eventually) becoming middle-class Tories, who then flock to Surrey/Sussex like Muslims to Mecca.

I mean this in all seriousness. Just look in the back of the Blue at the number of CH associations in any given county. If the number of OBs in Sussex was primarily to do with love of the school, you would expect to see a huge amount in that county, and substantially less in the surrounding ones. Whereas there are four for Surrey and a meagre three for Sussex. Infact, the Tory strongholds in the commuter belt are disproportionately better represented.

You can tell that I've thought about this before. And that I desperately need to spend my energy on more constructive things than the geopolitical makeup of former pupils. :oops:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Hendrik wrote:

Are they the saddest sad ******** on the entire planet? Or am I missing a crucial point here?
Well, I guess the most obvious answer is that OBs have a tendency towards (eventually) becoming middle-class Tories, who then flock to Surrey/Sussex like Muslims to Mecca.

I mean this in all seriousness. Just look in the back of the Blue at the number of CH associations in any given county. If the number of OBs in Sussex was primarily to do with love of the school, you would expect to see a huge amount in that county, and substantially less in the surrounding ones. Whereas there are four for Surrey and a meagre three for Sussex. Infact, the Tory strongholds in the commuter belt are disproportionately better represented.

You can tell that I've thought about this before. And that I desperately need to spend my energy on more constructive things than the geopolitical makeup of former pupils. :oops:
Speak for yourself. :lol:

Though I do agree with the middle-class part.

Considering Bucks is such an easy commute to Central London and the City, it is surprising we do not have a more active group, we have to share with Herts/Beds. I do know quite a few who live around here (personally, I am not counting Spoonbill here) but it is VERY expensive.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Hendrik wrote:

Obviously a product of a good scientific training.
Hypothesis, research and conclusion. And then reported, all in two paragraphs.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

AKAP wrote:Obviously a product of a good scientific training.
Hypothesis, research and conclusion. And then reported, all in two paragraphs.
Funnily enough my chemistry teacher labelled me the 'King of Brevity'.
Nail. Head.
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

Great Plum wrote:I may have got it rong in that 25% are from the home counties and not just from Sussex...

There were always quite a few from the West Country, a couple of Northeners and 3 or 4 from Alderney whilst I was at school - not many from Wales or Scotland though...
I take pride in living in Stockton-on-Tees (look it up!). It is a fact that there are very few people who come from any further than the Home Counties or London. Currently, there are a few Lithuanians and a South African, as well as a chap who's parents are missionaries in Nigeria.

Sad, really, cos you Southerners are a load of softies really...no cultcher

Oh well, I endeavour to remedy this.

Having said that, Durham and St Andy's are popular locations for uni (although this could be due to the fact that people feel a need to escape from parents)

Hmm....
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

darthmaul wrote:
Great Plum wrote:I may have got it rong in that 25% are from the home counties and not just from Sussex...

There were always quite a few from the West Country, a couple of Northeners and 3 or 4 from Alderney whilst I was at school - not many from Wales or Scotland though...
I take pride in living in Stockton-on-Tees (look it up!). It is a fact that there are very few people who come from any further than the Home Counties or London. Currently, there are a few Lithuanians and a South African, as well as a chap who's parents are missionaries in Nigeria.

Sad, really, cos you Southerners are a load of softies really...no cultcher

Oh well, I endeavour to remedy this.

Having said that, Durham and St Andy's are popular locations for uni (although this could be due to the fact that people feel a need to escape from parents)

Hmm....
What is also interesting is the number of Young Old Blues who end up in London...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Now there's a surprise....NOT
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

englishangel wrote:Now there's a surprise....NOT
No, but there's far nicer places to live and work...

(Says he who work in London!)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Great Plum wrote:
englishangel wrote:Now there's a surprise....NOT
No, but there's far nicer places to live and work...

(Says he who work in London!)
Yep
Northumberland (even better than Stockton-On-Tees)
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Barcelona : better weather, only a short drive to the beaches or mountains ( I'm going skiing next week-end...) , cheaper booze, better food, no silly money-changing if I want to slope off to another european country on holiday - and Mango factory stores !

so there...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

OK, everyone off to Barcelona. Pity I don't speak Spanish.

That was why I became a midwife, the human race will keep me in a job.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:OK, everyone off to Barcelona. Pity I don't speak Spanish.

That was why I became a midwife, the human race will keep me in a job.
... or alternatively, an undertaker - no unemployment there either !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."