Since when has a subscription been payable for the CCF?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

jhopgood wrote:
englishangel wrote:MY son joined the Army Cadet Force, not allied to his school and only had to pay £8 deposit for uniform and kit plus 50p a week for the NAAFI.

I believe they were subsidised by the local regiment, The Royal Greenjackets.
My cousin, Syd Hopgood, claims to be RSM of the Greenjackets and got his MBE last year for his efforts.
Small world
He probably got it when he retired.

http://www.army.mod.uk/royalgreenjacket ... lions.html
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

CCF

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Dave-by-the-Sea

I wrote:
petard249 wrote:I might add that I think that it is a bit high-handed of the school to impose a charge of this nature without (a) giving you some warning and (b) giving you some indication of what it concerns.
Clearly, in view of Andrew H's posting containing Peter Kearsey's response, I was wrong and the school and/or the CCF did write to parents, so I withdraw that remark.

That said, I still find it surprising that young people have to pay what appears to be an annual subscription. When I was in the MoD (admittedly some years ago) the CCFs and single-Service cadet forces were always seen as a very valuable source of recruits - I forget what percentage of annual intakes had been members of the cadet forces but in the Army's case it was always very high. Thus, making kids pay to belong is bound to cause some to withdraw, which is a case of the MoD cutting off its nose to spite its face - but this is by no means the first time it has done that!

In my time in the Army it was always said that you needed a private income to obtain a commission in certain cavalry and Guards regiments. Now, it seems that one needs a private income to become a cadet as well!

I would only add that when my two children were at boarding school (sadly, not CH) the fees were always pretty steep but at least they were predictable. What very nearly broke the Miller bank - and always caused a lot of heartache - were all the incidentals, such as half-term travel, music fees, sports subs, etc, etc, and items such as this - none was a major expenditure in itself, but they all piled up to a very substantial amount. Being a parent is tough!

Cheers,
David
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

AndrewH wrote:I pointed this thread out to Pete Kearsey, the CO of the CCF. Here is his reply:-
interesting reading I have tried to register so that I could
post a reply, but for some reason I cannot get into the bit
to activate myself, the decsion to introduce subs was not
taken lightly as you know the MOD heavily subsidise the CFF
and over the years the threat of cutting the cadets budget
has got closer and closer as they have cut the budgets for
the armed forces and this year will see a major cut the
£30 a year represents 84 pence per week per cadet which is
a lot less than the budget allocation from the MOD however
hopefully adding the two bits together I should be able to
maintain the training offered etc at the same standard for
some years to come, the Army Cadet Force and the ATC will be
facing the same problems as they are both classed as pre
service, the sea cadets being classed as a charity have
always had to find their own money.
It is funny that when the letters went out I invited parents
to get in touch and I only had one parent respond.
I have just been telephoned by Pete Kearsey who has discussed all the various issues with me. The letter referred to was apparently sent out in July - before Jonathan had entered the school as a New Dep, even before his induction week. That is why the bill for £30 came as a surprise. Further, it is only now that I know it is a subscription for a whole year and not, as I had feared, termly.

As David Miller points out, however, all these additional fees do add up and Jonathan has been very disappointed that we have been unable to continue his piano and violin lessons now he is at CH
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

DavebytheSea wrote: As David Miller points out, however, all these additional fees do add up and Jonathan has been very disappointed that we have been unable to continue his piano and violin lessons now he is at CH
That is a real shame.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Richard Ruck wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote: As David Miller points out, however, all these additional fees do add up and Jonathan has been very disappointed that we have been unable to continue his piano and violin lessons now he is at CH
That is a real shame.
Not just a shame but a disgrace to be honest...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Richard Ruck wrote:
That is a real shame.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Great Plum wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:
That is a real shame.
So you said :lol:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Great Plum wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:
That is a real shame.
I can hear Kit Aitken saying
"Don't repeat youself, don't repeat yourself."

At least I think it was Kit.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

DavebytheSea wrote:I have just been telephoned by Pete Kearsey who has discussed all the various issues with me. The letter referred to was apparently sent out in July - before Jonathan had entered the school as a New Dep, even before his induction week. That is why the bill for £30 came as a surprise. Further, it is only now that I know it is a subscription for a whole year and not, as I had feared, termly.

As David Miller points out, however, all these additional fees do add up and Jonathan has been very disappointed that we have been unable to continue his piano and violin lessons now he is at CH
i think the point being missed here is that the cuts in funding, and thus need for subscription, is due to a national cut in defence spending. thus there is nothing pete kearsey, or the school, can do about it (except ask for what even i would consider is a tiny contribution per year, about the same or less as the scouts)

:!: if there is still any doubt that pete kearsey is doing this for anything other than the best of reasons, consider the following points:

:arrow: he was always, and to the best of my knowledge remains to be, the most popular adult member of CH CCF among cadets.

:arrow: in his lengthy time as instructor of one of the most underfunded shooting teams in the country (CH) he frequently resorted to spending his own personal money on the team. also nearly all of the kit bar the actual fire-arms themselves belonged to him personally. most of the rest was begged or borrowed from his other team, the local sea cadets.

:arrow: for no personal gain, he investigated the book keeping of the previous two COs. this had long been called for by many senior cadets. for legal reasons i'm not going to state the outcome (at least one of the previous COs uses the forum). PM me if you can't guess.

:arrow: throughout his stint as Shooting Instructor, the vast majority of cadets in all three of the services (and in particular the NCOs) openly willed him to be the next Contingent Commander.

as for music lessons, this is indeed very sad. but unless it has changed that drastically in the two and a bit years since i left: anyone who was truly poor OR grade five or above got free tuition.
i am staggered if this is no longer the case for someone who is both truly poor AND above grade five.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Hendrik wrote: i think the point being missed here is that the cuts in funding, and thus need for subscription, is due to a national cut in defence spending. thus there is nothing pete kearsey, or the school, can do about it (except ask for what even i would consider is a tiny contribution per year, about the same or less as the scouts)

:!: if there is still any doubt that pete kearsey is doing this for anything other than the best of reasons, consider the following points:

:arrow: he was always, and to the best of my knowledge remains to be, the most popular adult member of CH CCF among cadets.

:arrow: in his lengthy time as instructor of one of the most underfunded shooting teams in the country (CH) he frequently resorted to spending his own personal money on the team. also nearly all of the kit bar the actual fire-arms themselves belonged to him personally. most of the rest was begged or borrowed from his other team, the local sea cadets.

:arrow: for no personal gain, he investigated the book keeping of the previous two COs. this had long been called for by many senior cadets. for legal reasons i'm not going to state the outcome (at least one of the previous COs uses the forum). PM me if you can't guess.

:arrow: throughout his stint as Shooting Instructor, the vast majority of cadets in all three of the services (and in particular the NCOs) openly willed him to be the next Contingent Commander.
Oh dear! I was never intending to criticise Pete. As you say Hendrik, he is a most caring person and Jonathan is never happier than when in his company. He has been instrumental in helping Jonathan with his shooting and in all his preparation for the AIB etc. including arranging courses etc. I am sure Jonathan is most grateful to him (as indeed I am).

As far as a £30 annual charge is concerned, I agree with you, Hendrik, it is peanuts. He paid more to belong to the Sea Cadets here in Cornwall and certainly got far less out of it than what he is receiving now.

The reason I made my original posting, was that, as I said at the time, I was a little surprised to receive a bill out of the blue. After a great deal of soul searching, Pete had sent out a letter to all parents explaining the reasons for it (defence cuts, as you say, Hendrick) and warning of the charge. Jonathan, however never received it. Again, this is hardly Pete's fault - as explained above, Jonathan slipped through the net for the very simple reason he was not yet a member of the school when the letter was sent out.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)