Appointment of new Head

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

stpandp
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by stpandp »

Does anyone know any more about his "extreme" religious views (quoted above)?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

stpandp wrote:Does anyone know any more about his "extreme" religious views (quoted above)?
Hmmm, yes, that sounded a bit curious.......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

stpandp wrote:Does anyone know any more about his "extreme" religious views (quoted above)?
Maybe he believes in God and the Ten Commandments.

Not very popular these days even in some Churches.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:
sport! wrote: QUOTE: Nearly all Grecian (Yr13) leavers win places at their chosen university......oh :oops:
Oh dear, where did you want to go? :wink:

Don't worry, there's a university in just about every town or village of over 500 people these days. Makes life a bit easier for the less academically inclined to aim a bit lower and still get a university place!

A degree in public convenience cleansing from the University of Coulsdon South is within reach of everyone, thanks to Tony's legacy.
Not that I'm suggesting for a minute that this would have applied to you, Sport! Just want to avoid any misunderstanding.... :oops:
Don't worry, no misunderstanding!

Didn't manage to reach Exeter/York and then endured the delights of "clearing".........in the days when a Uni was a Uni and a Poly was a Poly.
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

i worked on the clearing hotline last summer at my uni. someone rang up with 2 Es asking what course he could do :(
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Fru T. Bunn
2nd Former

Post by Fru T. Bunn »

ben ashton wrote:i worked on the clearing hotline last summer at my uni. someone rang up with 2 Es asking what course he could do :(
there's hope for everyone....i got two D's and got an unconditional at a top 30 uni.
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Fru T. Bunn wrote:there's hope for everyone....i got two D's and got an unconditional at a top 30 uni.
top 30? are there ranking tables published somewhere?
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Richard Ruck wrote:There's a section in the document which states that "by September 2007 the School will have its own Governing Body, as a separate (but related) legal entity from the Council of Almoners."

It goes on to say that the Head will be appointed by the Council of Almoners, but will be employed by the Governing Body.

Does anyone have any more information about these changes?
I have no information on these changes, but under normal? conspiracy theory, things start to hang together in a weird fashion.
I assume I am completely wrong and have completely misread something, but with the split of the school and the Council of Almoners, then presumambly the Council of Almoners would be the charity and in theory, entitled to give its funds to whoever it deems most appropriate.
Presumably, the school of CH is at the top, but this need not continue to be so.
It therefore means that the school has to prove it's worth and a businessman at the top makes more sense than an educationalist.
The job description states that the Head has "To negotiate the annual grant from the Trustees", indicating that there are other demads on funds, that could outweigh the school. It is not clear but the Head is responsible for the school administration, grounds, cleaning etc, and logic would dictate that he is also responsible for the buildings. You need a good administrator to do all of that, which relegates the clerk to a fund raiser.
Which then raises the question, where does CHA fit in to all of this?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:There's a section in the document which states that "by September 2007 the School will have its own Governing Body, as a separate (but related) legal entity from the Council of Almoners."

It goes on to say that the Head will be appointed by the Council of Almoners, but will be employed by the Governing Body.

I have no information on these changes, but under normal? conspiracy theory, things start to hang together in a weird fashion.
I assume I am completely wrong and have completely misread something, but with the split of the school and the Council of Almoners, then presumambly the Council of Almoners would be the charity and in theory, entitled to give its funds to whoever it deems most appropriate.
Presumably, the school of CH is at the top, but this need not continue to be so.
It therefore means that the school has to prove it's worth and a businessman at the top makes more sense than an educationalist.
The job description states that the Head has "To negotiate the annual grant from the Trustees", indicating that there are other demads on funds, that could outweigh the school. It is not clear but the Head is responsible for the school administration, grounds, cleaning etc, and logic would dictate that he is also responsible for the buildings. You need a good administrator to do all of that, which relegates the clerk to a fund raiser.
Which then raises the question, where does CHA fit in to all of this ?
Testing 'stab-proof' jackets for the MOD, John ??????
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

LAW OF UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Which then raises the question, where does CHA fit in to all of this ?
I see no problem at all in this. If the Counting House/Foundation wants to go off and hide itself in an ivory tower somewhere and be an independent charity, so be it. Correct me if I am wrong, but Old Blues' loyalty is 99.9999 percent (possibly even greater) to the school and 0.00001 percent (possibly less) to the Foundation. So, let the Foundation go where it will, the Old Blue focus will be firmly fixed at Horsham.

One consequence that nobody seems to have considered is that if the school is separated from the Foundation and the latter does not necessarily have to fund the former but can place its charitable monies elsewhere, then, by the same token, the school can look elsewhere for money. This will lead to the establishment of a fund-raising arm at the school, with its own staff but raising money direct for the school. Indeed, if the Foundation were to underfund the school, the latter would be forced to look elsewhere.

At this point the Foundation sinks into the slough of irrelevance.

Has this been thought through?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

jhopgood wrote:

Which then raises the question, where does CHA fit in to all of this?
I'm probably being too simplistic here but charities have what are known as Governing Instruments (commonly a Trust Deed or Constitution) and these define in general terms what the charity can and can't do.

Education is a charitable purpose and almost certainly will feature in the Governing Instrument since the School was founded to educate the deserving poor (or words to that effect).

If the Almoners, or whoever, fail to comply with the Governing Instrument then the charitable status may be called into question.

To cut a long story short I can't see they have any option but to give the School money.

Your point about the CHA is certainly a valid one though.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Fru T. Bunn
2nd Former

Post by Fru T. Bunn »

sport! wrote:
Fru T. Bunn wrote:there's hope for everyone....i got two D's and got an unconditional at a top 30 uni.
top 30? are there ranking tables published somewhere?
there's a few, here's the grauniad one

http://education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2005/
Peele B 97-03, Gr W 03-04
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

i didnt even know Dr S was leaving.

An aussie eh? would be better if he was a kiwi...
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Hannoir wrote:i didnt even know Dr S was leaving.

An aussie eh? would be better if he was a kiwi...
WHY ??????

Is he a bit of a 'fruit' ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.