Appointment of new Head

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Re: Disturbing News

Post by Mrs C. »

Mid A 15 wrote:However the guy must be aware presumably that CH is not a "typical" public school so perhaps we are worrying unecessarially.
I`m more concerned about what Raff says about his being rude and unpopular at Ardingly.......
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Mrs C. wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:However the guy must be aware presumably that CH is not a "typical" public school so perhaps we are worrying unecessarially.
I`m more concerned about what Raff says about his being rude and unpopular at Ardingly.......
Australians tend to speak their mind in general which may not go down with some fee paying parents.

They may feel the piper calls the tune.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Raff wrote:\\(snip) He is not a popular man, not only with the pupils but also with their parents and indeed the teaching staff.
He got a 'Zero' for popularity here: http://www.ratemyteachers.co.uk/schools ... ly_college
But did better than some of the other staff at Ardingly... perhaps the leadership reflects the poor scores?
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

John Knight wrote:
Raff wrote:\\(snip) He is not a popular man, not only with the pupils but also with their parents and indeed the teaching staff.
He got a 'Zero' for popularity here: http://www.ratemyteachers.co.uk/schools ... ly_college
But did better than some of the other staff at Ardingly... perhaps the leadership reflects the poor scores?
One person scored him, hardly a representative sample. (just playing the Devil's Advocate here)
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

englishangel wrote:One person scored him, hardly a representative sample. (just playing the Devil's Advocate here)
Agreed, but he scored 1.0 for all the other items except the popularity rating.
Popularity vote is not usually an individuals opinion but what the voter perceives others think. (I think... :? )
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
swirl
3rd Former

Post by swirl »

i'm not looking forward to his takeover.....
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

swirl wrote:i'm not looking forward to his takeover.....
How much longer have you got at CH?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Richard Ruck wrote:The charts detailing parental income and where the pupils come from are quite interesting!

I see the West Country still supplies a decent percentage, compared to the Midlands / East Anglia etc. Glad to see that!
do parents of children who are presented by Governors contribute to fees, or is it all paid by the Governor?

and

QUOTE: Nearly all Grecian (Yr13) leavers win places at their chosen university......oh :oops:
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

sport! wrote:do parents of children who are presented by Governors contribute to fees, or is it all paid by the Governor?
My brother had a BSB Presentation and my parents paid - but that might be different and it was a L-O-N-G time ago!

I have become a grandmother for the second time today so feel that my schooling was a very long time ago!!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
stpandp
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by stpandp »

sport! wrote:do parents of children who are presented by Governors contribute to fees, or is it all paid by the Governor?
Our daughter has a governor, and we are still assessed for fees as "normal"
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

sport! wrote:QUOTE: Nearly all Grecian (Yr13) leavers win places at their chosen university......oh :oops:
i think this must include the second choice university as a 'chosen university'. you do technically choose it, even if not for a first choice.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

I think that the cash stumped up by a donation governor only gives them the right to present a kid to the school.

Said kid still has to pass exams, to demonstrate that he/she has the required academic potential to benefit from the education on offer. If this all goes OK, then the kid is guaranteed a place, and the fees (if any) are determined by the normal methods.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

sport! wrote: QUOTE: Nearly all Grecian (Yr13) leavers win places at their chosen university......oh :oops:
Oh dear, where did you want to go? :wink:

Don't worry, there's a university in just about every town or village of over 500 people these days. Makes life a bit easier for the less academically inclined to aim a bit lower and still get a university place!

A degree in public convenience cleansing from the University of Coulsdon South is within reach of everyone, thanks to Tony's legacy.

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Richard Ruck wrote:I think that the cash stumped up by a donation governor only gives them the right to present a kid to the school.

Said kid still has to pass exams, to demonstrate that he/she has the required academic potential to benefit from the education on offer. If this all goes OK, then the kid is guaranteed a place, and the fees (if any) are determined by the normal methods.
I can confirm all that and would add that a governor can ONLY present at year 7 (i.e, aged 11). After that it is assumed that the presentation is by the Council of Almoners.
Last edited by DavebytheSea on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Richard Ruck wrote:
sport! wrote: QUOTE: Nearly all Grecian (Yr13) leavers win places at their chosen university......oh :oops:
Oh dear, where did you want to go? :wink:

Don't worry, there's a university in just about every town or village of over 500 people these days. Makes life a bit easier for the less academically inclined to aim a bit lower and still get a university place!

A degree in public convenience cleansing from the University of Coulsdon South is within reach of everyone, thanks to Tony's legacy.
Not that I'm suggesting for a minute that this would have applied to you, Sport! Just want to avoid any misunderstanding.... :oops: