The Grecians' Houses

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

The Grecians' Houses

Post by Great Plum »

Don't ypou think that the Grecians' houses should have been named something more interesting than 'Grecians West' and 'Grecians East'?

Surely there must be some more Old Blues who have been famous or noteworthy?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: The Grecians' Houses

Post by englishangel »

Great Plum wrote:Don't ypou think that the Grecians' houses should have been named something more interesting than 'Grecians West' and 'Grecians East'?

How about Snow, for Jon Snow the cricketer, or Davis for Sir Colin Davis the conductor?

I know there is a Barnes? but what about Wallis?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

englishangel wrote:
Great Plum wrote:Don't ypou think that the Grecians' houses should have been named something more interesting than 'Grecians West' and 'Grecians East'?

How about Snow, for Jon Snow the cricketer, or Davis for Sir Colin Davis the conductor?

Blunden and Douglas perhaps as other blocks are named after literary figures.

They were both at Horsham too so it would be good to choose names from the Horsham era.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mid A 15 wrote:
englishangel wrote:

They were both at Horsham too so it would be good to choose names from the Horsham era.
Showing my ignorance here. I know (of) Blunden but who was Douglas? And as modern celebrity glorifies sportsmen so perhaps Snow not appropriate but Perhaps we could move away from literature into music.
Perhaps Simmons? :evil:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

englishangel wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
englishangel wrote: How about Snow, for Jon Snow the cricketer, or Davis for Sir Colin Davis the conductor?

Showing my ignorance here. I know (of) Blunden but who was Douglas? And as modern celebrity glorifies sportsmen so perhaps Snow not appropriate but Perhaps we could move away from literature into music.
Keith Douglas, like Blunden, was a War Poet only in World War II.

He was sadly killed during the War.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mid A 15 wrote:
englishangel wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote: Blunden and Douglas perhaps as other blocks are named after literary figures.

Showing my ignorance here. I know (of) Blunden but who was Douglas? Perhaps we could move away from literature into music.
Simmons anyone? :evil:

Thank you. that is my educational snippet for the day. I 'Googled' him, there is quite lot, died age 24 what a waste!
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

HOUSE NAMES

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

englishangel wrote:I know there is a Barnes? but what about Wallis?
Curiously, many people seem to think that Barnes Wallis's name is double-barrelled, but, in fact, Barnes was his Christian/first name, and his surname was plain Wallis, which would match the other House names.

Another name for consideration is "Elstob," the only Old Blue as far as I know to have won the Victoria Cross. He also won a DSO and an MC, which means that he was not just brave, but very, very brave. He died winning his VC at the age of 29.

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons, I am surprised that nobody has noticed that not one house is named after a female Old Blue. Surely, at a time when the school is heading towards a 50:50 ratio, just one house could bear a female name?
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I think the idea of giving them names was discussed, but it was decided that it would detract from the intention for Grecians to still be very much part of their Avenue house. So all houses to the east of Quad go to Gr. East, all to the west go to Gr. West - at least that will be the case when Thornton becomes a girls house. At the moment, one side of Barnes (girls) and one side of Middleton (boys) goes to each Grecians house to balance the sexes! (not necessarily the same side every year)
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: HOUSE NAMES

Post by englishangel »

petard249 wrote:
englishangel wrote:I know there is a Barnes? but what about Wallis?
Curiously, many people seem to think that Barnes Wallis's name is double-barrelled, but, in fact, Barnes was his Christian/first name, and his surname was plain Wallis, which would match the other House names.

Another name for consideration is "Elstob," the only Old Blue as far as I know to have won the Victoria Cross. He also won a DSO and an MC, which means that he was not just brave, but very, very brave. He died winning his VC at the age of 29.

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons, I am surprised that nobody has noticed that not one house is named after a female Old Blue. Surely, at a time when the school is heading towards a 50:50 ratio, just one house could bear a female name?
I knew that, he came and talked to us at Hertford once.

Embarrassingly I don't know if there are any OGs who would qualify.

Holmes House sounds like a home for people who have injured themselves in the gym.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mrs C. wrote:I think the idea of giving them names was discussed, but it was decided that it would detract from the intention for Grecians to still be very much part of their Avenue house. So all houses to the east of Quad go to Gr. East, all to the west go to Gr. West - at least that will be the case when Thornton becomes a girls house. At the moment, one side of Barnes (girls) and one side of Middleton (boys) goes to each Grecians house to balance the sexes! (not necessarily the same side every year)
Very true - but the current names are very impersonal...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Yes Matt, but if they had names we couldn`t say "East the Least, West the Best" could we??!!

(and I know that it`s grammatically incorrect Richard!!)

:D
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

englishangel wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
englishangel wrote: How about Snow, for Jon Snow the cricketer, or Davis for Sir Colin Davis the conductor?

Lambert, not after Lambert and Butler, but the compser/conductor.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Wallis would have been a good one - not only a renowned boffin, but he put a hell of a lot back into C.H.

Fulfilled the "Charge", I would say.

The first 'Retreat' in which I took part was rained off and we ended up playing everything in Big School. Barnes Wallis was sitting right in front of where I was playing. Hope he didn't cop any spittle from my trombone slide...............
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:

That's it, Mary !!!

WALLIS house, and GROMMIT house. Superb !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
englishangel wrote: Showing my ignorance here. I know (of) Blunden but who was Douglas? Perhaps we could move away from literature into music.
Simmons anyone? :evil:

Thank you. that is my educational snippet for the day. I 'Googled' him, there is quite lot, died age 24 what a waste!
Oh Dear ! Not again !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.