How did your family learn of CH?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

How did your family learn of CH?

Post by Katharine »

I am a second generation Blue. There is a wonderful family story of the way my father and aunt both got to the school, I hope it is true!!

My grandfather was a missionary in the Bahmas during the First World War and soon after that he returned to be a vicar in the East End of London. The children, used to having the run of the island, did not take to life cramped in a first floor flat, and apparently made a lot of noise. The lady living downstairs tried taking them to court for being a nuisance, but was told that 'legally children cannot be a nuisance'. Naturally the Bishop of London got to hear of this. As there was no suitable vicarage, and they had to go on living there, he decided the best thing would be to get the children to boarding school. Soon after that father (WHP Hills) was in Mid B and my aunt Helen was in 6s.

In the fulness of time my father was also ordained, my brother Peter had a BSB presentation and was in Prep A and Thorn B, I had an almoner's place in 6s. Peter's daughter Joanna made it as the third generation going to 6s (of course!) as a RAF Foundationer.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: How did your family learn of CH?

Post by Mid A 15 »

Katharine wrote:I am a second generation Blue. There is a wonderful family story of the way my father and aunt both got to the school, I hope it is true!!

My grandfather was a missionary in the Bahmas during the First World War and soon after that he returned to be a vicar in the East End of London. The children, used to having the run of the island, did not take to life cramped in a first floor flat, and apparently made a lot of noise. The lady living downstairs tried taking them to court for being a nuisance, but was told that 'legally children cannot be a nuisance'. Naturally the Bishop of London got to hear of this. As there was no suitable vicarage, and they had to go on living there, he decided the best thing would be to get the children to boarding school. Soon after that father (WHP Hills) was in Mid B and my aunt Helen was in 6s.

In the fulness of time my father was also ordained, my brother Peter had a BSB presentation and was in Prep A and Thorn B, I had an almoner's place in 6s. Peter's daughter Joanna made it as the third generation going to 6s (of course!) as a RAF Foundationer.
Hi Katharine,

You might find replies limited as we did a similar thread recently.

viewtopic.php?t=936
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Mid A 15 wrote:You might find replies limited as we did a similar thread recently.
viewtopic.php?t=936
Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I did a quick trawl when I joined but missed that one. I still like my father's story and hope it was worth posting.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Katharine wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:You might find replies limited as we did a similar thread recently.
viewtopic.php?t=936
Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I did a quick trawl when I joined but missed that one. I still like my father's story and hope it was worth posting.
Your father's story is very interesting and well worth posting!

I just didn't want you to be disappointed if replies were not forthcoming. That was my sole reason for posting the link.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Perhaps Julian can merge the threads!!!
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"