St matthews day and Mid B 1972

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

AKAP wrote:(You must realise we went to an all boys school, we didn't know there was such a thing as girls.) :roll:
Oh yes we did! - and I still remember, and think of her, to this day.
She taught me a lot... probably more than I learnt in the classroom.
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

AKAP wrote:
englishangel wrote:
AKAP wrote:Hello Maureen
I didn't realise you were Steve's brother. I remember Steve well but can't remember him leaving early. He was a good friend of Graham's (thought of Graham the other day, as his uncle was Peter Osgood, who's death at a family funeral hit the newspapers recently.)
Steve introduced us to chip butties (we had never thought of putting chips in a snadwich before.)
Did look Steve up on the web the other month, I was very puzzled abouth phenomics (or however you spell his speciality area.)
I'm sure more memories will come back with time. Must edit the list of names with Howard's update.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Oh dear!!!
I didn't realise that Steve was your brother.
(You must realise we went to an all boys school, we didn't know there was such a thing as girls.) :roll:
and you haven't found out since? :shock: :shock: :shock:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

englishangel wrote:
AKAP wrote:
englishangel wrote: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Oh dear!!!
I didn't realise that Steve was your brother.
(You must realise we went to an all boys school, we didn't know there was such a thing as girls.) :roll:
and you haven't found out since? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Still searching :goodman:
Maureen Connor
2nd Former

Post by Maureen Connor »

AKAP wrote:Hello Maureen
I didn't realise you were Steve's brother. I remember Steve well but can't remember him leaving early. He was a good friend of Graham's (thought of Graham the other day, as his uncle was Peter Osgood, who's death at a family funeral hit the newspapers recently.)
AKAP wrote:Steve introduced us to chip butties (we had never thought of putting chips in a snadwich before.)
Did look Steve up on the web the other month, I was very puzzled abouth phenomics (or however you spell his speciality area.)
I'm sure more memories will come back with time. Must edit the list of names with Howard's update.
Steve will be relieved to know that he is to be remembered for introducing Mid B to chip butties (forget the contribution to English literary criticism). I'm intrigued by this...my children also eat chip butties. I blame our thoroughy working class background and a father from Liverpool, who sadly died in 1972, the year in which the photo was taken. and just a few months after Steve left CH, following the unfortunate cannabis episode. I read it in the Telegraph at Hertford, before I realised my own brother was involved. Does no one have any recollection of it? I'm sure there were others whose Ch careers also came to an untimely end?
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Maureen Connor wrote: Steve will be relieved to know that he is to be remembered for introducing Mid B to chip butties (forget the contribution to English literary criticism). I'm intrigued by this...my children also eat chip butties. I blame our thoroughy working class background and a father from Liverpool, who sadly died in 1972, the year in which the photo was taken. and just a few months after Steve left CH, following the unfortunate cannabis episode. I read it in the Telegraph at Hertford, before I realised my own brother was involved. Does no one have any recollection of it? I'm sure there were others whose Ch careers also came to an untimely end?
I don't remember the cannabis incident, (probably pre-senile dementia, or senile dementia more likely) it obviously didn't knock his acedemic career off course. There were other cannabis incidents and expulsions the detals of which I can't remember either.
I do remember Steve mentioning his Liverpool ancestory but I think you were living in Bognor, which he hated (Why would anyone move from Liverpool to Bognor?).
Papadoc
2nd Former

Post by Papadoc »

Back row, three to the right of Pullinger, Strange?. Middle row, left hand edge Lockyer?, in front of Pullinger - Harrison?, to his left ETB Evans?
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Which one is Pullinger?
Papadoc
2nd Former

Post by Papadoc »

I think that Pullinger is 6th from the left in the back row, and on checking the thread it seems this has been spotted before. Sorry about that.
Noel Erskine
Prep B 64-66
Ba A 66-69
La B 69-73
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Thanks, I have updated my list as best I can, only puzzle ir raises, is the person 3 to the right of Pullinger called Knaggs or Stange?
Still waiting to see if HH can give an opinion on some of the missing names.
Michael
2nd Former

Mid B 1972

Post by Michael »

Think I can add a few more names to the photo:

Top row - from right to left - Skinner, Sealtiel, Agnew,Powell,Searing

Next to Keith Stratton is Jimmy Chuang - who sadly died in a house fire many years ago - can't remember when.

Bottom row - ?, Ray Chatlani, Baker, McDaid, Burgess, ?,?, Nick Rawlings, Ruper Lane, ?, Baker

Think that is right....
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Thanks Michael, I have updated the list on page 3 as best I can.
Still hope that HH will come up with some names for the photo.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Mid B 1972

Post by englishangel »

Michael wrote:Think I can add a few more names to the photo:

Top row - from right to left - Skinner, Sealtiel, Agnew,Powell,Searing

Next to Keith Stratton is Jimmy Chuang - who sadly died in a house fire many years ago - can't remember when.

Bottom row - ?, Ray Chatlani, Baker, McDaid, Burgess, ?,?, Nick Rawlings, Ruper Lane, ?, Baker

Think that is right....
Was he related to Phyllis? she was at Hertford 65-70 or thereabouts.
AKAP
Grecian

Re: Mid B 1972

Post by AKAP »

englishangel wrote:Was he related to Phyllis? she was at Hertford 65-70 or thereabouts.
Now you mention it I think he may have had a sister at Hertford.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Phyllis Chuang
Phyllis is in the middle of the Cambridge photo.
Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

Middleton B in the Feudal Period

Post by Rex »

Only just discovered this thread.

The St Matthew's Day pic and the house photo both seem to have been taken in Michaelmas 1971 (not 72) and show Mid B as it was a year before I entered it in September '72. The boy behind the cups, also to be seen swinging along at the centre of the St Matthew's Day shot, is not me as Richard suggests but the late Matthew Scott-Hawksley.

The junior boys in the front row of the house photo are (L to R) Paul Dunwoody, Ray Chatlani, Chris Baker, Mick McDaid, Mark Burgess, Philip Coad (not Roger Highfield, who was still in Barnes B), Adrian Gray, Matthew Scott-Hawksley, Nick Rawlings, Rupert Lane, Keith Searing, Trevor Moore and Jon Steyn.

Recognise a lot of the other faces but will send details to Andrew in a PM so he can add them to his overall list.

In the marching photo the folk I can identify are Matthew S-H; in front of him Adrian Gray; in front of him Ali Burns (with Paul Lewis next to him, and Mark Burgess visible over his shoulder); and in front of him Mick McDaid, with a serene-looking bespectacled Des Lockyer adjoining his left shoulder. In the Col A ranks on the left of the picture I recognise Andrew Fort and (surely?) Paul Cornish.
AndrewH wrote:Rex was a year ahead of me in Maine A, so would have moved on in the summer of '72
In fact I was in Hunt B, not Maine A, but I can see how the confusion arose: my best friend at that time, the late Edgar Newman, was in Maine A and I probably spent a vast amount of time there with him, developing our intricate private mythology.
Last edited by Rex on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.