CCF photos

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

ben ashton
Grecian

CCF photos

Post by ben ashton »

sorry, photos were on photobucket, and are now not! Ben
Last edited by ben ashton on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I never did see the interest in lying around with a gun to pretend to shot things :?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It's mainly a 'boy' thing I think, though I do know a few friends of my son who do both ACF and airsofting (see 'Olympic petition' forum.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

blondie95 wrote:I never did see the interest in lying around with a gun to pretend to shot things :?
We did shoot things. called targets. And if you were me, won a medal for doing so!
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

blondie95 wrote:I never did see the interest in lying around with a gun to pretend to shot things :?
So no interest in lying around at all, then Amy ??

I await DBTS's response with baited breath !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I did CCF on my UF and GE and loved doing the shooting. I was very good at stripping, cleaning and reassembling those ancient things we used. Didn't much like the being shouted at, gallumphing around assault courses or night exercises with aforementioned thunderflashes (I'm sure that set off my 'nerves'!) though, but shooting and drill was ok.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

cj wrote:I did CCF on my UF and GE and loved doing the shooting. I was very good at stripping, cleaning and reassembling those ancient things we used. Didn't much like the being shouted at, gallumphing around assault courses or night exercises with aforementioned thunderflashes (I'm sure that set off my 'nerves'!) though, but shooting and drill was ok.
You must have had the same R.S.M. I had, though I didn't really see him as that old ! :oops:

I can sense a DIVERT ALERT coming on !!
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

J.R. wrote:

well, thats not me writing clearly but J.R mis reading! I don't like the idea of lying around in mud and cold weather at night etc, pretending to shoot at things!

Other lying around well it depends......
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My son was an army cadet and his troop(?) won the summer camp drill competition under a female Sergeant
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

J.R. wrote:
cj wrote:I did CCF on my UF and GE and loved doing the shooting. I was very good at stripping, cleaning and reassembling those ancient things we used. Didn't much like the being shouted at, gallumphing around assault courses or night exercises with aforementioned thunderflashes (I'm sure that set off my 'nerves'!) though, but shooting and drill was ok.
You must have had the same R.S.M. I had, though I didn't really see him as that old ! :oops:

I can sense a DIVERT ALERT coming on !!
I've just barfed in my bedtime horlicks at the thought of that. :vom:
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:My son was an army cadet and his troop(?) won the summer camp drill competition under a female Sergeant
Think about that statement VERY carefully, Mary !
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

blondie95 wrote:
J.R. wrote:

well, thats not me writing clearly but J.R mis reading! I don't like the idea of lying around in mud and cold weather at night etc, pretending to shoot at things!

Other lying around well it depends......
...... on ....?

.... the weather, perhaps?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

englishangel wrote:My son was an army cadet and his troop(?) won the summer camp drill competition under a female Sergeant
..... do they do piggy back drill then, these days?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
horndub
2nd Former

Re: CCF photos

Post by horndub »

This thing about lying around with a gun as if to try to kill someone, I don't think any of us thought we'd ever have to do that. It was more a matter of hoping to get all the bullets through the same hole; a forlorn hope with a bren gun in which getting all 25 rounds anywhere on the 6" square target was an achievement. The bren would jump around uncontrollably, and the idea was to keep its bipod on the ground if possible.

One other memory I have is that by the time I got into the Air Section there was a glider, a Kirby Cadet if I remember rightly. It had a simple open frame fuselage with 'proper' fabric-covered wings and tail surfaces, was doped silver with RAF roundels, yellow trainer bands and serial number. It was held together with bolts and steel cables, and was assembled according to a set of instruction cards. It took so long to assemble that by the time it was ready it had to be dismantled again and put in its garage near the min. rifle range. I do recall however having a few slides in it, barely enough to get the feel of the air on the control surfaces. On at least one occasion we did see it get airborne for a few yards until the elastic ropes ran out of woomph. I wonder what happened to it; presumably it was Air Ministry property.