CH photos 2006

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

sejintenej wrote:NBoticed that at least one RMS boy had his breeches down to about one hands width from his shoes instead of just below the knee. A button grecian with his bands askew ..... There also seem to be both black and brown girdles - any significance?

Fings ain't wot they used to be!
Some of the boys did start wearing the breeches like they do their jeans(i.e so low the crotch is at the knees) Not sure why
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

blondie95 wrote:
sejintenej wrote:NBoticed that at least one RMS boy had his breeches down to about one hands width from his shoes instead of just below the knee. A button grecian with his bands askew ..... There also seem to be both black and brown girdles - any significance?

Fings ain't wot they used to be!
Some of the boys did start wearing the breeches like they do their jeans(i.e so low the crotch is at the knees) Not sure why
I always wonder how they can walk like that! And how they keep the breeches up is beyond me as belts are more or less round their knees too!!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

J.R. wrote:
Great Plum wrote:I tired to play the piccolo once with gloves - it can't be done!
You TIRED ?

Object Lesson: 'Playing your Piccolo with gloves on can lead to tiredness !'
And blindness.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

cj wrote:
J.R. wrote:
Great Plum wrote:I tired to play the piccolo once with gloves - it can't be done!
You TIRED ?

Object Lesson: 'Playing your Piccolo with gloves on can lead to tiredness !'
And blindness.
Hmmmm !!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
npdurk
2nd Former

Gloves in band

Post by npdurk »

Well as a Ma A boy for many years i soon became a tenor drummer as is the tradition. We have to wear white gloves for parades and if it was really cold in winter we had to wear black ones as otherwise we couldnt hold the sticks.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: Gloves in band

Post by jhopgood »

npdurk wrote:Well as a Ma A boy for many years i soon became a tenor drummer as is the tradition. We have to wear white gloves for parades and if it was really cold in winter we had to wear black ones as otherwise we couldnt hold the sticks.
I am intrigued that the "Tradition" is for tenor drummers to be from Ma A, when it used to be Lamb B.
Maybe that is no longer possible, as I am sure that Bass Drummers from Barnes B is now out. (It was bass drummers and cymbals).
When I bought my cheap trombone (made in China), it came complete with white gloves, which I used to clean the slide as they were made for small hands.
Never played the trombone in gloves, although it must be easier to play with gloves than other instruments.
During the great freeze of 63?, when we played with snow still on the grass in the quad, one of my fingers would go numb and I would warm it up in my glass of cold water at lunch. I never thought of the hygiene aspect of drinking "dirty" water, but still survived.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Yes, I remember having hands so cold during winter lunch parades that all my lunch time would be spent warming them up as they were too cold to hold a knife and fork with. I did resort to using black fingerless mittens which helped considerably. Can't do trilly bits and runs with frozen fingers.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Gloves in band

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:
npdurk wrote:Well as a Ma A boy for many years i soon became a tenor drummer as is the tradition. We have to wear white gloves for parades and if it was really cold in winter we had to wear black ones as otherwise we couldnt hold the sticks.
I am intrigued that the "Tradition" is for tenor drummers to be from Ma A, when it used to be Lamb B.
Maybe that is no longer possible, as I am sure that Bass Drummers from Barnes B is now out. (It was bass drummers and cymbals).
When I bought my cheap trombone (made in China), it came complete with white gloves, which I used to clean the slide as they were made for small hands.
Never played the trombone in gloves, although it must be easier to play with gloves than other instruments.
During the great freeze of 63?, when we played with snow still on the grass in the quad, one of my fingers would go numb and I would warm it up in my glass of cold water at lunch. I never thought of the hygiene aspect of drinking "dirty" water, but still survived.
I remember that 63 freeze well, John.

Buglers nightmare. Cracked lips all round.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Funny about the house/drum thing - my bro' was in Thorn B, but I'm sure that he played the tenor drum ... I do remember him moaning about his hands, and I can still play the learner drum-roll he taught me with pencils!
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

When I was at CH, thetraditions seemed to be as follows:

Bass drummers: Thorn A
Tenor drummers: the mighty Maine A
Cymbals: Barnes A (although I think any girl could be a cymbalist)
Drum Majors: Mid A
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:When I was at CH, thetraditions seemed to be as follows:

Bass drummers: Thorn A
Tenor drummers: the mighty Maine A
Cymbals: Barnes A (although I think any girl could be a cymbalist)
Drum Majors: Mid A
Is it legal now, or compulsary ? :oops:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Ha,

well I don't think there have been any male cymbalists for a while!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99