CH in Snow - Jan 2007...

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

CH in Snow - Jan 2007...

Post by Mark1 »

Just a few pictures I got today - lovely atmosphere around the school!

[/img]
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Thanks for those Mark.

It looks like you had a fair bit of snow.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

Enough to cause mayhem! It was little dangerous moving between morning lessons - you never knew which alcove or parked car was concealing a waiting snowballer, and pitched battles seemed to erupt in every five minute gap between lessons.
You can tell how deprived of 'real' snow we've been here (over the seven years, at least) by the fact that my (Grecians) history set made a bid for (and received!) a break from the lesson to go and 'play in the snow', although I suppose our snow-'bismarck' was more cultured than its contenders! :wink:
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Has anyone noticed that the boys hold their folders/books curled under their arms against their hips, and that the girls hold them against their chests. It was a distinction I noticed some while ago, when I was a choirboy. Why is this?

btw, the photos are great. We have no snow in Devon (sniffs disappointedly). My toboggan is all oiled up and ready to go.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

cj wrote:Has anyone noticed that the boys hold their folders/books curled under their arms against their hips, and that the girls hold them against their chests. It was a distinction I noticed some while ago, when I was a choirboy. Why is this?

btw, the photos are great. We have no snow in Devon (sniffs disappointedly). My toboggan is all oiled up and ready to go.
I thought you were a girl Cath :?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

cj wrote:btw, the photos are great. We have no snow in Devon (sniffs disappointedly). My toboggan is all oiled up and ready to go.
When we lived in Devon. my cousin lived in West Sussex and they were always getting snow whereas we got none - now we live in West Sussex and they live in Devon they still get the snow and we don`t!! (until yesterday!) Yesterday`s has all gone, but ,as I write, there are little flakes fluttering about outside.....
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Mid A 15 wrote:
cj wrote:Has anyone noticed that the boys hold their folders/books curled under their arms against their hips, and that the girls hold them against their chests. It was a distinction I noticed some while ago, when I was a choirboy. Why is this?

I thought you were a girl Cath :?
I am. I refer to the time when I was a little oik, singing treble ie. younger than I am now. What's an issue of gender between friends?

There's still no snow down here. My brother couldn't get to work yesterday and he's in London. It's so unfair. Still, we have glorious sun streaming through the windows to cheer us up.

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

About time the school had some snow!

It's a shame the inch of snow only lasted until lunchtime or so in Reigate...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

cj wrote:My brother couldn't get to work yesterday and he's in London.
This was so pathetic, it wasn't even icy and the Underground went into a stupor. Hellooo, it's Underground. Well some of it is, and it was the underground bits which seemed to be having the most trouble.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

englishangel wrote:
cj wrote:My brother couldn't get to work yesterday and he's in London.
This was so pathetic, it wasn't even icy and the Underground went into a stupor. Hellooo, it's Underground. Well some of it is, and it was the underground bits which seemed to be having the most trouble.
I don't know the ins and outs of the problems the other day, but I like to laugh heartily at the chaos the weather causes as we plod about down here on foot with no other option. Apart from the pushchair, obviously. But that's not for me. Yet. Transport? Pah, that's for sissies. And yes, I know Tavistock is not quite as big as London, but I probably walk 3 or 4 miles a day, plus 20 at home up and down the bl**dy stairs as I forget where I'm going and the things I need that are downstairs. Or upstairs. Which is a nuisance when the house is arranged over 6 floors.

John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

englishangel wrote:Or upstairs. Which is a nuisance when the house is arranged over 6 floors.
Wow - Lovely.... Do you live in a converted Lighthouse?
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

we got about an inch and i got my first experience of driving in it!

I asked my parents if they got snow at CH as normally they get a slithering that you can barely call snow. They said a little-by looks of pictures that more than a little
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

cj wrote:There's still no snow down here. My brother couldn't get to work yesterday and he's in London. It's so unfair.
I was brought up quite a lot south of you and I remember when the snow was over the top of the Landrover as we tried to deliver the milk. with repeated battering-ram like moves we eventually got through.

One place where I worked used to get snow. The trains ran through "troughs" in the snow - the sides were as high as the train and more but the trains were normally on time. Car drivers are well used to the conditions so they don't go at more than about 50mph on those roads on ice (OK so the cars are sideways-on some of the time which is "different").

As for the place where I was staying, in winter you couldn't really walk the hundred yards from the station - you had to go on ski. Only a couple of metres depth of snow!

If you have nothing to do and are into thrillers then the area is very well described in Hammond Innes' book "The Blue Ice".
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Thanks for posting those photos. It made me want to be back at CH again looking at them and reminded me of the snow we had when I was there in the late 80's.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

John Knight wrote:
englishangel wrote:Or upstairs. Which is a nuisance when the house is arranged over 6 floors.
Wow - Lovely.... Do you live in a converted Lighthouse?
er, no. Tavistock is quite a bit inland! It's a late Georgian townhouse in need of much tlc. I always had a thing about tall, unusual buildings as a child and wanted to live in a lighthouse, windmill or oast-house, so my dream has almost come to fruition. Ironically though, I do not have a head for heights so you won't catch me hanging out of the top floors cleaning/renovating the windows.