A few CH pics

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

A few CH pics

Post by Vonny »

http://search.live.com/images/results.a ... al&FORM=BI#
Link needs to be copied & pasted as it doesn't seem to work :? It won't let me join the gap in the link up - HELP! (Now Fixed - JT)
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

What an eclectic collection, Vonny!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Link now fixed.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Thanks!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Nice to see Mark 1's 'snowy' photo's included on the site !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Hmmm ... but I am not sure that all photos should be there. There is a Christ's Hospital hospital in the USA as well as a school called Christ's Hospital in Lincoln. There is, I believe, also a Christ's Hospital at Abingdon, near Oxford.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Must admit, I was baffled by some of the exhibits as well, David !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Foureyes
Grecian

ALMOST THE SAME NAME BUT NOT QUITE

Post by Foureyes »

DavebytheSea wrote:There is a Christ's Hospital hospital in the USA
There are, indeed, a number of hospitals in the USA with similar sounding names to ours, but they are actually called "CHRIST HOSPITAL" i.e., without the apostrophe S.

Foureyes :shock:
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

DavebytheSea wrote:There is, I believe, also a Christ's Hospital at Abingdon, near Oxford.
I believe a party of them visited us while I was at CH. We stared at them as if they were some alien species. Their uniforms looked rather like ours, but weren't. In a way they were stranger than ordinary visitors.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Re: A few CH pics

Post by wurzel »

There is Reading BlueCoat school who have about 2 coats that the senior boy gets to wear for their special occasions. One of those is a yearly service at St Mary's church in Reading that I can see from my office Window. When I see the head boy standing in the doorway in a mid calf length housey coat and shorts i want to go down there and tell them how to do it properly.

Also the are schools in coventry and bristol were they wear the coat but velvet shorts instead of britches. I remember a visit by one of those schools in the mid 80's
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Encouraged By Vonny's lead, played in Google images, found 475,000 images referencing Christ's Hospital, 162 for Christ's Hospital Horsham specifically and 57 for Christ's Hospital Hertford specifically. (Xmas card peeps be aware, lovely line drawing of the frontgates!!)

In the Hertford lot was an "oh my God I'd forgotten the tiles" moment.....

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/3404419 ... 4F32AD3138

Or failing that, what about this lot.....

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/3404420 ... 4F32AD3138

Come on Ladies,name them up!

I don't know what you may have started here Vonny, but it was definitely you!! :D
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Took me a bit of messing about to get the pages to load and then I didn't recognise anyone - a few years before my time, I think. The only contribution I can make is that the first one is in the Cookery School so the teacher must be Miss Jukes, and the second one looks like the History Room, although I don't recognise the teacher.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

They didn't load for me, and I didn't 'mess around' to quote Jo. By the sounds of them they may be ones we have seen before, on this Forum.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

As far as I remember, they aren't ones we've seen before. I also found them on Google, though you have to search worldwide and not just UK (though curiously they seem to be on a UK site - don't understand that).

I was right about the History Room, and it also gives a date:
3rd March 1953: Girls in the upper fourth form of the girl's School at Christ's Hospital, Hertford, are given a history lesson by the author of their new history text book, Miss F M Page.

I thought it was probably just pre mid 50s as there is another one of the Dining Hall where the organ appears to be still there, and I thought that was put into the School Hall around mid 50s.

This URL might work better: http://www.jamd.com/image/g/3404420

As well as this and the Home Economics one, there are
- two sixth formers working in the library,
- "Chemistry teacher Miss L M Wooton demonstrating a distillation experiment with girls from the upper fifth form at Christ's Hospital girls' school in Hertford"
- "16th May 1953: Schoolgirls from the Christ Hospital School, Hertfordshire, watch the boys from Christ Hospital School, Horsham, as they leave St Paul's Cathedral, London, after a Thanksgiving Service commemorating the 400th anniversary of the school's foundation"
- the one in the Dining Hall

It's a shame that the "Next photo" links don't seem to work on the JAMD website - I had to go back to the Google results every time. But definitely worth taking the trouble to look - nice photos, thanks Gerrie.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

On my lunch hour at work, I could find Gerrie's pictures. We have seen these before Jo, but some time ago. I found five of them here

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Searc ... c=standard#

following a link from an old thread in Hertford section viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1239

Miss Page as History teacher lasted until my time, she retired at the end of my first or second year, I think. That was when Miss Mercer came.

As I put Hertford in the search box on Getty images I didn't get your last picture of the girls outside St Paul's.