Barbara WHAYMAN Hertford 1927-1933

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

Rosie
2nd Former

Barbara WHAYMAN Hertford 1927-1933

Post by Rosie »

Photographs of Barbara WHAYMAN, Hertford 1927-1933, nick-name 'Sally Gaspipe' for reasons unknown!
Comments welcome.

(Click on images for full-size versions)
Barbara in the cricket team, back row, far right. Note the Girl Guide badges on school uniform.

Subject of this photo unknown. Is it Hertford or Horsham? It is the same era as the rest and has the number 26 in pencil on reverse as do all the other postcard photos in this collection. Perhaps it is her brother Brian front row far left?

Is this her class group? What is the paper they are all holding? Barbara is back row far right again.

Perhaps this is a photo of prize winners? In 1929 Barbara received a copy of A History of the Girls' School of Christ's Hospital London Hoddesdon & Hertford as Form Prize, Form III. Barbara is sitting in front, about centre and pulling a silly face.

Another from photo. Barbara far right, back row again! What would the occasion be? Are the adults Matron and form teacher?

This 'snap' is now a sepia print and as usual Barbara is on the right. Any ideas who the other girl is? Would be interested to see if I can gather any names for any of these photos.
Enjoy!
Rosie
Last edited by Rosie on Thu May 31, 2007 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Looking for information on Brian Maurice WHAYMAN and Barbara Joan WHAYMAN who attended Christ's Hospital in the 1920s and early 1930s.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We were wearing very similar uniforms in the 60's and 70's, but our skirts were knee length. We wore the same gymslips for daywear in the winter and sports, it looks as though those girls had longer ones for day and shorter ones for sports. Our ties were narrower and we were not allowed to wear them out, they were always tucked in.

The one of the boys walking across the field (horror) was probably Speech Day, and I can't remember even talking to the boys who came to Hertford, even in Upper Sixth.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Rosie
2nd Former

Post by Rosie »

englishangel wrote:We were wearing very similar uniforms in the 60's and 70's, but our skirts were knee length. We wore the same gymslips for daywear in the winter and sports, it looks as though those girls had longer ones for day and shorter ones for sports. Our ties were narrower and we were not allowed to wear them out, they were always tucked in.

The one of the boys walking across the field (horror) was probably Speech Day, and I can't remember even talking to the boys who came to Hertford, even in Upper Sixth.
Thanks Mary. I am becoming completely absorbed in all things connected with CH and wish I had paid more attention to the stories I heard years ago.
Looking for information on Brian Maurice WHAYMAN and Barbara Joan WHAYMAN who attended Christ's Hospital in the 1920s and early 1930s.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

As an aside to englishangel, when the girls came to Horsham for the Quatercentenary in 1953, one of them on passing the pillar-box by the Common Room asked 'Are you allowed to post things in that?'
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Second picture definitely NOT Horsham, I will let the girls advise on where exactly it might be at Hertford.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

cstegerlewis wrote:Second picture definitely NOT Horsham, I will let the girls advise on where exactly it might be at Hertford.
Walking across the playing field from the chapel towards the back of 5s and 6s.

Rosie, you might like to check out the photos in the Hertford 60s and 70s thread.

Incidentally, the grass doesn't look to be in very good nick in your photo. Does anyone have any info on temperature and rainfall for that year. DR would have had a fit :lol:
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Barbara WHAYMAN Hertford 1927-1933

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

I think that the majority of the photos were taken outside one of the houses, rather than the teaching blocks.

Last photo on the field outside 5s/6s - again, you might like to compare to the photos from 1970.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

cstegerlewis wrote:Second picture definitely NOT Horsham, I will let the girls advise on where exactly it might be at Hertford.
I had aleady said it was walking across the hallowed turf, and if it was summer (presumably Speech Day) it was a cricket pitch too, aaaargh.

This was before DRs time. Just shows how little the outside world affected CH.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Very interesting photos. While we wore gymslips in my day they were cut differently. Ours had a V-neck and no box pleats. The girls walking across the hallowed turf on first glance appear to be wearing coatfrocks - but surely the yellow piping down the front should be visible? Did that come later?

As to the Guides, CH was very early into getting its own School Guide Companies. At one stage there were at least two Guide Companies and also a Rangers Company. In my day there were still two Companies - I was in the 1st CH, we had blue ties and our patrols were named after birds, the 2nd CH had green ties and flower patrol names. It became more and more difficult to find leaders and the 2nd may have collapsed before I left. We did wear our enrolment badges on our tunics but nothing more.

I am intrigued by the shield CH badges several girls are wearing. I thought that there was just one for Swimming but perhaps it was Coloours in any sport - Kerren can you help?

Thanks for showing us the photos.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I thought our gymslips had round necks, no boxpleats and was there a seam around the waist?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

And look! Black opaque stockings, which look utterly contemporary!

Terrific pix -

Munch
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

How many tims did they change the tunics? The ones in the photo used to be called drill slips (in my pre-CH days), and I always wanted one. Ours had round necks, and sometimes pockets (otherwise it was knicker legs for your hankie).
The dresses do look lik coat frocks, but pretty grim without the piping.
Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Here we are.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

englishangel wrote:
I had aleady said it was walking across the hallowed turf, and if it was summer (presumably Speech Day) it was a cricket pitch too, aaaargh.

This was before DRs time. Just shows how little the outside world affected CH.
:oops: :oops: Sorry Mary, didn't read it properly
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:And look! Black opaque stockings, which look utterly contemporary!

Terrific pix -

Munch
I bet they itched though.