Barbara WHAYMAN Hertford 1927-1933

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

You are obviously right, Mary. All I can say is that it is more of a V than those shown at the start of the thread! I was looking at a House photo of 7s at Kerren's the other night where all (except VIth Form of course) were in tunics so I should have known.

That photo had been taken while we were both in the school but I don't think we could name even half of them, but could say the faces looked very familiar.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think in the 20s/30s it was squarer from what I can make out.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Rosie
2nd Former

Post by Rosie »

Katharine wrote:I am intrigued by the shield CH badges several girls are wearing. I thought that there was just one for Swimming but perhaps it was Coloours in any sport - Kerren can you help?
Do you think this photo is just sports prize girls?

Rosie
Looking for information on Brian Maurice WHAYMAN and Barbara Joan WHAYMAN who attended Christ's Hospital in the 1920s and early 1930s.
Rosie
2nd Former

Post by Rosie »

Katharine wrote:As to the Guides, CH was very early into getting its own School Guide Companies. At one stage there were at least two Guide Companies and also a Rangers Company. In my day there were still two Companies - I was in the 1st CH, we had blue ties and our patrols were named after birds
From memory Barbara was in a 'bird' patrol - my sister and I were both bird patrol here in Tasssie. Also it definitely looks like a bird in the photograph.
Katharine wrote:I am intrigued by the shield CH badges several girls are wearing. I thought that there was just one for Swimming but perhaps it was Coloours in any sport - Kerren can you help?
Which ones are wearing the 'shield' CH badges? Even when I try enlarging the image I can't decide which ones you are refering to.
Rosie
Looking for information on Brian Maurice WHAYMAN and Barbara Joan WHAYMAN who attended Christ's Hospital in the 1920s and early 1930s.
Rosie
2nd Former

Post by Rosie »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Rosie, you might like to check out the photos in the Hertford 60s and 70s thread.
Thanks, I will do that.
Rosie
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Rosie wrote:I am intrigued by the shield CH badges several girls are wearing. I thought that there was just one for Swimming but perhaps it was Coloours in any sport - Kerren can you help?

Do you think this photo is just sports prize girls?

Rosie
Hi Rosie

I'm on dial up and swopping from typing this to the photos is just too frustrating, so please forgive me if I get things confused.

In the photo of the girls walking across the playing field I think that the silver badges are those awarded to Monitresses - they have Edward VI's head on them. Having just retyped DRs addresses from 1967 and 1968, I think that I can reasonably confidently say that they were introduced by Miss Robertson, gradually got worn away by enthusiastic polishing, and that later (50s???) some OBs presented new, and a larger number of the badges to allow for the larger number of girls staying on to the Sixth Form.

'Stockings were worn all the time except for games, and the first entry in the School Archives for September 1942 reads ‘We wore socks for the first fortnight of term’.

If you would like to know more, I would urge you to purchase a copy of all the addresses when they become available in September. I can't wait to tuck into the remaining 28 years.

I have been squinting and Photoshopping the photos outside the houses in an effort to identify the pieces of paper in the girls hands. BTW, absolutely agree with Munch about the sexy black stockings - a vast improvement on the thick khaki horrors we wore. The piece of paper looked at first, to me, like a programme of some sort - Speech Day? - with, possibly, the words of a hymn on the back page. However, in the photograph with the two adults, some of the girls seem to have pencils in their hands as well - a quiz of some sort? Maybe DRs addresses will enlighten us when we each buy a copy in September?How am I doing Kerren? :lol:

And so to the photograph with cups and tennis racquets, etc. I would assume that these are sporting teams and their winnings. I was a little bemused by the fact that the girls all seemed to be about the same age, but then remembered that Junior and Senior Houses only ceased to be the year I went to CH.

Best wishes

Caroline
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Rosie wrote:Which ones are wearing the 'shield' CH badges? Even when I try enlarging the image I can't decide which ones you are refering to.
Sorry I didn't describe it very well. In the first photo the girl in the middle with a cricket bat across her knee is wearing the badge I meant. Kerren had colours for hockey so she should be able to recognise it if it is colours.
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:In the photo of the girls walking across the playing field I think that the silver badges are those awarded to Monitresses - they have Edward VI's head on them. Having just retyped DRs addresses from 1967 and 1968, I think that I can reasonably confidently say that they were introduced by Miss Robertson, gradually got worn away by enthusiastic polishing, and that later (50s???) some OBs presented new, and a larger number of the badges to allow for the larger number of girls staying on to the Sixth Form.
I certainly polished the type of Mons Badges shown in the photo. Each badge that I polished was engraved on the back with a 6 or HG (I think) for Head Girl. My first 2 years the Head Girl was in 6s. Somewhere else in the Forum we refer to the fact that at that time if a girl was worthy of being a Mon but wasn't she was awarded a Senior B A (Black Apron) which had the letters CH embroidered on it - Midget remembers this. When the new badges came in the Green Aprons came in too. I cannot remember which year the change came, possibly 2 or 3 years after I joined the school.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Katharine wrote:When the new badges came in the Green Aprons came in too. I cannot remember which year the change came, possibly 2 or 3 years after I joined the school.

September 1960 :)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
Katharine wrote:When the new badges came in the Green Aprons came in too. I cannot remember which year the change came, possibly 2 or 3 years after I joined the school.
Blimey :prayer:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
Is that the feminine form of the Red Arrows ?? :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Rosie
2nd Former

Post by Rosie »

Having just retyped DRs addresses from 1967 and 1968,
Getting confused with abbreviations - what are DRs? - or am I not awake yet?
that later (50s???) some OBs presented new, and a larger number of the badges to allow for the larger number of girls staying on to the Sixth Form
And again OBs?
If you would like to know more, I would urge you to purchase a copy of all the addresses when they become available in September. I can't wait to tuck into the remaining 28 years.
Where is this available from and what does it contain?
The piece of paper looked at first, to me, like a programme of some sort - Speech Day? - with, possibly, the words of a hymn on the back page. However, in the photograph with the two adults, some of the girls seem to have pencils in

Perhaps someone else may have a clue to this. I originally thought Sports Day but then thought they would have been dressed differently?
And so to the photograph with cups and tennis racquets, etc. I would assume that these are sporting teams and their winnings. I was a little bemused by the fact that the girls all seemed to be about the same age, but then remembered that Junior and Senior Houses only ceased to be the year I went to CH.
All these photographs have 26 on the reverse - would this have related to the year or possibly to Barbara? Could it be an order number? I was hoping that the number on the front of the postcards would give a clue to their subject/date?

Thanks Caroline, I am slowly learning more and more.
All the best, Rosemary
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Rosie wrote:
Having just retyped DRs addresses from 1967 and 1968,
Getting confused with abbreviations - what are DRs? - or am I not awake yet?

Hi Rosie

Dorothy Ruth West, Headmistress 1942-1972, fondly (?) known by her pupils as DR, or sometimes Aunty Dot.

that later (50s???) some OBs presented new, and a larger number of the badges to allow for the larger number of girls staying on to the Sixth Form

And again OBs?

Old Blues - ex pupils.
If you would like to know more, I would urge you to purchase a copy of all the addresses when they become available in September. I can't wait to tuck into the remaining 28 years. [/color]
Where is this available from and what does it contain?

Not yet available. Each year DR would address the school on Founder's Day (day the school's charter was signed? Edward VI's birthday? not sure, but guessing the former). Kerren Simmonds remained in contact with DR after leaving school, and has the original transcripts of the addresses which have currently being retyped, ready for publication in September, when a memorial service will be held for DR, who died last year.
The piece of paper looked at first, to me, like a programme of some sort - Speech Day? - with, possibly, the words of a hymn on the back page. However, in the photograph with the two adults, some of the girls seem to have pencils in

Perhaps someone else may have a clue to this. I originally thought Sports Day but then thought they would have been dressed differently?
All these photographs have 26 on the reverse - would this have related to the year or possibly to Barbara? Could it be an order number? I was hoping that the number on the front of the postcards would give a clue to their subject/date?

Either is possible. We were each identified by house and number - I was 6.20, Alex 6.17 - can't remember anyone else's.

I wonder whether there are copies of the photographs in the museum - perhaps someone could have a squizz for you, or give you contact details for the Curator.?

Thanks Caroline, I am slowly learning more and more.
All the best, Rosemary
How's the weather in Tassie? Pi$$ing it down here in Adelaide, hair a mass of frizz, garden full of luxuriant soursobs, paddocks full of juvenile capeweed and salvation jane: I think that we will have to spray this year, and risk the ire of our biodynamic neighbours :(

Best wishes

Caroline
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Barbara WHAYMAN Hertford 1927-1933

Well, like Kay, I am supposedly holed up writing. Sadly , unlike Kay, I am in wet and windy Adelaide, not balmy Mexico :(

I am on a mission to determine what those pieces of paper the girls are holding actually are, but the only software at my disposal is an illegal copy of Photoshop, and the images are bitmaps - Rosie, is there any chance that you could take a magnifying glass to the originals and decipher any of the lettering?

Best wishes

Caroline
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Barbara WHAYMAN Hertford 1927-1933

OK, this is a real longshot, as the adults in the photo don't look at all regal, but in 1929 Princess Mary came to Hertford to open the new Science Labs and Cookery School.

Viscount Lascelles, Princess Mary's husband is a dead ringer for the adult male in the photograph.

Well, er, they both have a moustache, high cheekbones, and similar noses and chins.

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead and state that the two adults in Rosie's photograph are Princess Mary and Viscount Lascelles, and that the occasion was the opening of the new Science Labs in 1929.

Kerren, are you there? Who had DRs address from 1929 to type up? Please, pretty please, I can't wait until September to find out whether or not I am correct :D
Last edited by icomefromalanddownunder on Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Hi Rosie

I'm laughing to think you'll be absorbing two entirely different languages for Brian and Barbara. Horsham speak has seemed completely foreign to me, since encountering it on this Forum! :o

Munch