Barbara WHAYMAN Hertford 1927-1933

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

Rosie
2nd Former

Post by Rosie »

Hi Caroline
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:How's the weather in Tassie? Pi$$ing it down here in Adelaide, hair a mass of frizz, garden full of luxuriant soursobs, paddocks full of juvenile capeweed and salvation jane: I think that we will have to spray this year, and risk the ire of our biodynamic neighbours :(
I am in Launceston with my daughter at present which is always much colder than Hobart first thing in the morning this time of the year. But so far am being lucky, the rain has stopped! The river at the bottom of the hill was flooded but has since subsided.
Luckily I lived in Adelaide for four years - late 70s early 80s - so I know what soursobs are. People in Tassie always say what when I talk about soursobs! I have spent the past year trying to get rid of them from part of my garden so I can put some lawn in. I think all future efforts will include spraying.
Anyway, guess we can't complain about rain - even suffering from drought in Tassie.

Cheers, Rosie
Looking for information on Brian Maurice WHAYMAN and Barbara Joan WHAYMAN who attended Christ's Hospital in the 1920s and early 1930s.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Barbara WHAYMAN Hertford 1927-1933

Post by Katharine »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Kerren, are you there? Who had DRs address from 1929 to type up? Please, pretty please, I can't wait until September to find out whether or not I am correct
DR was young when she was appointed but not that young, Caroline!!! She died last year aged 94 so was born 1912.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Rosie
2nd Former

Post by Rosie »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:copy of Photoshop, and the images are bitmaps - Rosie, is there any chance that you could take a magnifying glass to the originals and decipher any of the lettering?
Will have a go at this when I get back to Hobart in a few days. I have Photoshop too but not at all proficient in it.
Thanks for all the other answers BTW.
Looking for information on Brian Maurice WHAYMAN and Barbara Joan WHAYMAN who attended Christ's Hospital in the 1920s and early 1930s.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Katharine wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Kerren, are you there? Who had DRs address from 1929 to type up? Please, pretty please, I can't wait until September to find out whether or not I am correct
DR was young when she was appointed but not that young, Caroline!!! She died last year aged 94 so was born 1912.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I was so intent on my quest that I forgot to consider the very obvious :roll:
Rosie
2nd Former

Post by Rosie »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:DR was young when she was appointed but not that young, Caroline!!! She died last year aged 94 so was born 1912
Miss Craig was Headmistress when Barbara was at Hertford. Are there copies of her speech day addresses too?

Rosie
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

And what the **** is a soursob?

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Newly Expert on the Weeds of Adelaide -

Post by Angela Woodford »

Caroline has explained to me, Maggie. Would you believe that the mean and viscious sounding soursob (out to get you) is merely oxalis?

Love, Munch
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Yes I would believe it--once you've got it, it gets everywhere. Thanks

Maggie
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

midget wrote:Yes I would believe it--once you've got it, it gets everywhere. Thanks

Maggie
I have been told that the only way to eradicate them is to let chooks loose. I do admit that when Chocolate and Freckles lived in my back garden, the soursob population decreased (they scratch up and eat the bulbils apparently), but this is not a practicable solution for an unfenced front garden.

Spraying? They grow in, among, up through, and over my desireable plants.

I can turn a blind eye to them because they are not in the paddocks and threatening the health of our animals, but my neighbours (in town) are not as tolerant :wink:
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

A flame thrower works! We sometimes use a gas powered "wand" when things get too bad in our very small garden.

Maggie
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

midget wrote:A flame thrower works! We sometimes use a gas powered "wand" when things get too bad in our very small garden.

Maggie
Alas, despite the recent 'showers' we are still subject to a fire ban ;-).
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Rosie
2nd Former

Post by Rosie »

I have been squinting and Photoshopping the photos outside the houses in an effort to identify the pieces of paper in the girls hands.
Hi Caroline

I have rescanned one of the photos and can almost decipher some of the letters but am hoping if I post it to the site you will be able to Photoshop it better than I can, but ... I am not sure how to attach it. Help!

Rosie
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Rosie wrote:Hi Caroline

I have rescanned one of the photos and can almost decipher some of the letters but am hoping if I post it to the site you will be able to Photoshop it better than I can, but ... I am not sure how to attach it. Help!

Rosie

Hi Rosie

I'm on dial-up today, so switching from one window to another is frustratingly slow, and I would need to continually refer to instructions to work you through this. However, if you go to the 'Welcome' thread, you will find instructions there.

I will forward a pm to you from John, who has far more sophisticated software than I, and has offered his help. Incase you haven't come across pms: when you log in you will see, near the top of the screen, but below FAQ, Search, etc either You have no new messages, or You have x new messages - click on the link et voila.

Best wishes

Caroline
Hertford 6.20 1965-70