Brian WHAYMAN Horsham 1924-1931

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

Rosie
2nd Former

Brian WHAYMAN Horsham 1924-1931

Post by Rosie »

Photographs of Brian WHAYMAN at Horsham 1924-1931. The photograph of Brian with his grandmother and sisters, Molly and Barbara, must be when he first attended CH.
The other photograph is Brian leading his colleagues in the dinner parade. I would like to know more about Brian and which ward/house he was in?

(click on images for full-size versions)

All comments welcome.
Rosie
Looking for information on Brian Maurice WHAYMAN and Barbara Joan WHAYMAN who attended Christ's Hospital in the 1920s and early 1930s.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Brian WHAYMAN Horsham 1924-1931

Post by Mid A 15 »

Rosie wrote:Photographs of Brian WHAYMAN at Horsham 1924-1931. The photograph of Brian with his grandmother and sisters, Molly and Barbara, must be when he first attended CH.
The other photograph is Brian leading his colleagues in the dinner parade. I would like to know more about Brian and which ward/house he was in?

(All comments welcome.
Rosie
Looking at the position the marching photo is taken from it is probable that he was in Lamb, Barnes or Maine A or B. The boys behind him look too big to be in the Prep so that can almost certainly be ruled out.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Mid A 15 wrote:Looking at the position the marching photo is taken from it is probable that he was in Lamb, Barnes or Maine A or B. The boys behind him look too big to be in the Prep so that can almost certainly be ruled out.
I think the bust over the archway is positioned at the west end of the quad so he would possibly be from the other houses...
John. (I have been known to be wrong before!)

BTW.. That is a lovely photograph of Brian with his grandmother and sisters.
Last edited by John Knight on Thu May 31, 2007 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

If the standard was a bit clearer you`d be able to read it.....perhaps someone is able to sharpen it on their computer?
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Rosie
2nd Former

Post by Rosie »

Mrs C. wrote:If the standard was a bit clearer you`d be able to read it.....perhaps someone is able to sharpen it on their computer?
Here's hoping!
Looking for information on Brian Maurice WHAYMAN and Barbara Joan WHAYMAN who attended Christ's Hospital in the 1920s and early 1930s.
Rosie
2nd Former

Post by Rosie »

John Knight wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:Looking at the position the marching photo is taken from it is probable that he was in Lamb, Barnes or Maine A or B. The boys behind him look too big to be in the Prep so that can almost certainly be ruled out.
I think the bust over the archway is positioned at the west end of the quad so he would possibly be from the other houses...
John. (I have been known to be wrong before!)
I was watching Antiques Roadshow last week and was excited to see it was filmed at CH. I saw the same archway in shot and realised my photograph was taken at the school. Is there a site anywhere that has images of the various school buildings?
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

I would take a guess at 'Mid A'
But, I can't remember which way round the writing was on the reverse side of the flag.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

You could be right John.

I need to learn more about busts and precisely where they are :oops: :wink:

To be serious I just assumed that any photographers would be on the Dining Hall side of the Avenue if it was Dinner Parade as otherwise the band would be in danger of mowing them down!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

It looks like a Speech Day photo. The Lord Mayor has passed under the same arch, and I think he sets off from the Headmaster's house, so this would be the Coleridge / Middleton / Thornton / Peele end of the Avenue.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Rosie wrote:I was watching Antiques Roadshow last week and was excited to see it was filmed at CH.
Hi Rosie

I saw the programme too (in Adelaide). I tried to find out how long ago it was filmed, but no luck.

Best wishes

Caroline
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Looking at enlargements of these photos I am now almost certain that I was wrong with my initial thoughts.

It looks to me like Coleridge can be seen through the cloisters and also logically the people watching would be gathered on the Dining Hall side and they can be seen in the Lord Mayor's photo which is a pretty big clue! I initially only looked at the normal sized black and white version of the boys on their own.

I can make out an "A" fairly clearly but wonder whether the remaining letters could form "Peele" as there do not appear to be enough for any other House name in full.

As a former Mid A Standard Bearer I have a feeling that the flag used to say "Middleton" rather than "Mid." I could be wrong though after all these years! There is a photo kicking around somewhere of me with the Standard either at home or my mother's house. I will try to locate it and confirm the lettering.

Mind you back in the twenties the lettering may have been different I suppose!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Mid A 15 wrote:As a former Mid A Standard Bearer I have a feeling that the flag used to say "Middleton" rather than "Mid." I could be wrong though after all these years!
Yes Andrew, you are correct. I am sure that the house names were not abbreviated.
John.
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Mid A 15 wrote:I need to learn more about busts and precisely where they are :oops: :wink:
Just to add a bit more.... this is the statue that is above the arch at the east side of the quad.
It looks a bit like me, although I don't remember standing like that, reading too many books or having my hair that long... but I did have my broadie buckle at the front. :wink:
John.

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

it is also the statue the replica of which Peter Southern - was presented with on Speech Day as his retirement present from the school
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

John Knight wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:As a former Mid A Standard Bearer I have a feeling that the flag used to say "Middleton" rather than "Mid." I could be wrong though after all these years!
Yes Andrew, you are correct. I am sure that the house names were not abbreviated.
John.
Managed to find the photo and confirm that the standard said Middleton A in full. Not abbreviated.

In the light of that my best guess would be to say that Brian Whayman was in Peele A.

As an aside the late CME Seaman is opening the door of the Headmaster's House in the background.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72