CH Trees - October 1987

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

CH Trees - October 1987

Post by jtaylor »

Three shots from the few days after the October 1987 storms...

Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

It's amazing to think on one died and the only damaged building was the old sports centre/ swimming pool...

I think the only casualty was Mongy's car...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Good pictures - bring back a few memories for me! Mind you - I slept through the storm! :roll: :lol:
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Great Plum wrote:It's amazing to think on one died and the only damaged building was the old sports centre/ swimming pool...

I think the only casualty was Mongy's car...
if only one died, why did they get rid of them all?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Sorry, no one died - not only one tree died!

About half the trees came down afaik - the rest were pretty knackered!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I remember Adrian Matthews car was damaged - remember him coming into English that morning and he just sat there in silence.
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

I remember being in the day room of Col.A watching the trees falling, with one scraping the window. The avenue looked a real mess for ages afterwards.
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

hurricane

Post by tobeconfirmed »

amazing photos jtalyor, I guess that's one of the many experiences described on the forum that I'm glad I wasn't there for. I seen so many photos of front av before 1987, it looked so beautiful. Anyone know how long it's expected to take for the current trees to grow to the size the old ones used to be?

So I guess luckily no trees hit any members of staff's houses along the avenue then?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: hurricane

Post by Great Plum »

tbs wrote:amazing photos jtalyor, I guess that's one of the many experiences described on the forum that I'm glad I wasn't there for. I seen so many photos of front av before 1987, it looked so beautiful. Anyone know how long it's expected to take for the current trees to grow to the size the old ones used to be?

So I guess luckily no trees hit any members of staff's houses along the avenue then?
These trees aren't meant to get so big...

And if yellow fungus keeps afflicting them, there won't be many left soon...
srcudlipp
3rd Former

Post by srcudlipp »

Vonny wrote:I remember Adrian Matthews car was damaged - remember him coming into English that morning and he just sat there in silence.
I was standing there when he came out & saw his car crushed flat - he burst into tears, and we burst into fits of laughter :twisted:
Mid B / A 1984 - 1989
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

srcudlipp wrote:
Vonny wrote:I remember Adrian Matthews car was damaged - remember him coming into English that morning and he just sat there in silence.
I was standing there when he came out & saw his car crushed flat - he burst into tears, and we burst into fits of laughter :twisted:
:shock:

Poor bloke - probably the best teacher I ever had. If I remember rightly he had had some other bad news at that time so he was badly affected by it all.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Actually the new block end of the classics block got damaged as well in the storm (I think Mr Martin's classroom) it had a tarp over it for weeks.

I think I have a black & White phot of torkington's Saab I'll try and find it (as well as the preceeding 2 years of lhb photos to yours and the lha ones that follow)

I was int he font downstairs study of LHA that night and the tree that came down the side towards the front door scraped down the side of our study just a bricks width away from Ed batterson's head.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

It's incredible to think that there wasn't more damage to the boarding houses and us inside. Those trees were too close for comfort! However like Vonny I slept throught the whole thing, so I'd have never known if I'd been squashed by a lime tree.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

compared with all thecopses outside LH you didn't have many trees near Col

I remeber for week afterwards climbing over branched to smoke in the copse - gave them a great excuse to flatten it
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

Great Plum wrote:I think the only casualty was Mongy's car...
That car was fantastic although I once remember him pulling up behind me while I was running a steeplechase and then speeding up in order to get me to run. My reaction was to sit down and he gave up and gave me a lift back! Always hated steeplechases.
Barnes B / Mid A