CH Marching Band at Lord's Cricket and Beating Retreat 2010

Post any pictures of your time at CH, or pictures of people/places at CH now - what's changed over the past years? What's good/what's bad?

Moderator: Moderators

Chay_z11
2nd Former

CH Marching Band at Lord's Cricket and Beating Retreat 2010

Post by Chay_z11 »

Chayton Kent
Peele A 50
2006-2011
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: CH Marching Band at Lord's Cricket and Beating Retreat 2

Post by J.R. »

Great photo's Chay ! Many thanks.

I'm also pleased to see the standard of shoe-cleaning has improved over the last couple of years.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Chay_z11
2nd Former

Post by Chay_z11 »

Yeah, Mr.Whittingham has a box full of shoe polishing kits :P He also sets a good example himself.
Chayton Kent
Peele A 50
2006-2011
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Both Bass drummers seem to be using only one drum stick, yet I seem to remember them using both, and using one hand, with drum stick, to dampen down after use.
Is the use of one now common practice?
(As a trombonist, I was always directly behind the bass drummers, who in my time, were always from Barnes B)
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Chay_z11
2nd Former

Post by Chay_z11 »

jhopgood wrote:Both Bass drummers seem to be using only one drum stick, yet I seem to remember them using both, and using one hand, with drum stick, to dampen down after use.
(As a trombonist, I was always directly behind the bass drummers, who in my time, were always from Barnes B)
Because we were doing moves where there was a time delay between the two halves of the band, one of the bass drummers used one stick in the air above the drum to mark the beat as well as playing. When we went to Lord's, just one bass drummer had two sticks (the blond one), who marked the beat, while the other just played what the he played. Nowadays it's only the tenor drummers who have to be from a certain house (Maine), and the drum majors (Middleton A).
Chayton Kent
Peele A 50
2006-2011
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Chay_z11 wrote:
jhopgood wrote:Both Bass drummers seem to be using only one drum stick, yet I seem to remember them using both, and using one hand, with drum stick, to dampen down after use.
Because we were doing moves where there was a time delay between the two halves of the band, one of the bass drummers used one stick in the air above the drum to mark the beat as well as playing. When we went to Lord's, just one bass drummer had two sticks (the blond one), who marked the beat, while the other just played what the he played. Nowadays it's only the tenor drummers who have to be from a certain house (Maine), and the drum majors (Middleton A).
Thanks, all clear now.

In my day, tenor drummers were from Lamb A. I think.
Drum majors were from Mid A, possibly because their Housemaster, Arthur Rider, presented some of the maces.
Barnes B also had the cymbals.

I hope that next year some of the band leavers can come and play with our village band, as Hugh Lindley has just done. Pictures an story in the next Blue
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)